Daily Record - Potential 60 million war chest for Sellick

Love the values,
Nitcham 4.3 million ? more like 1-2 maybe
Ajer last year of contract, could get 8-10 on a good day (less 10%)
Eduard last year of contract - 15 would be my guess on a good day (less about 3 sell on)
Christie last year too, 2-3 million tops

So from 60 million to around 25 million being realistic and they need a GK 2 CB's, 2 FB's, 1? CM, 2 wide men and 2 strikers - 10 first team starter players - 2.5 million each on average

Also more unlikely than usual to be in the Champs league so won't be able to use that to attract anyone.

Worst of luck B-) B-)

Puffier than a piece ‘n puff pastry!

Aside from the ‘amortisation’ comedy, the writer uses the unusually odd ‘Transfermarkt’ website value of £8.1m for Christie, but ignores the fact that the very same site values Ajer at £3.6m, but the writer has him going for £20m

Utter delusional and desperation.
It’s called gaslighting, I enjoy them doing it to their own.

"warchest", "jetting in", "showdown talks" "sources".

I haven't read the article, I'm just guessing these cliches will be in there somewhere.

You forgot "golden handshake" , "bolt-hole" , "jet-heeled winger", "issued a come and get me plea".

It's such a strange article, making out as if it's a really positive thing potentially for Celtic but not really taking into account they have to sell all their best players to achieve the £60million war chest.

That is an embarrassing level of clutching at straws. Letting your most valuable assets run down their contracts is terrible from a footballing and business sense. Don’t polish a turd and say it is good from an accountancy perspective.

I love how they use the “book value” quotations for these players. I don’t think I’ve ever heard, read or seen any paper anywhere in the world, ever, use “book value” to quote the valuation of a player, anywhere, ever.

The stench of fear and desperation from this gutter, shit roll rag is utterly honking, yet rather pleasant at the same time...

Yes this is an actual article. Kerryfail have thankfully posted some of the article so we don't need to give them the clicks

yJmFAho.gif

They'll be looking to reduce the wage bill further, not add to it.

They might make a couple of big money signings again but that won't fix their problems, they're in a very similar position to us pre Gerrard now.

Wasn't this the same figure given by many in the media that Gerrard would need if we were to challenge for the League, when he arrived?

Surely the players that are almost out of contract will get a better deal for themselves if they wait another 6 months and sign for their new club on a pre-contract. Why would Edouard want to go to a new club for £30k a week when he knows he can wait 6 months and sign for another club for £40k/£50k a week due to an increase in choices and no transfer fee having to be paid, Celtic will then be forced to accept a token fee or nothing and hold on to a player that doesn't want to be there.

Surely the players that are almost out of contract will get a better deal for themselves if they wait another 6 months and sign for their new club on a pre-contract. Why would Edouard want to go to a new club for £30k a week when he knows he can wait 6 months and sign for another club for £40k/£50k a week due to an increase in choices and no transfer fee having to be paid, Celtic will then be forced to accept a token fee or nothing and hold on to a player that doesn't want to be there.
Add in large signing on bonuses

You forgot "golden handshake" , "bolt-hole" , "jet-heeled winger", "issued a come and get me plea".

It's such a strange article, making out as if it's a really positive thing potentially for Celtic but not really taking into account they have to sell all their best players to achieve the £60million war chest.
Yeah, kind of invites the idea that they have used a genius strategy of allowing all of these guys to enter the final year of their contracts.

Looks very much to me like Lawwell trying to create a more positive narrative ahead of his exit. The Amortisation pish has been copied and pasted from an email of a paymaster

I think this is a wonderful article. I for one will be writing to the editor if Celtic don’t spend £60 million this summer. Surely their fans can accept nothing less now ;) If it’s in the Record it must be gospel.

Even if they somehow got anywhere near that fantasy figure - would it be enough to buy a replacement keeper, centre-half, 2 full backs, 2 midfielders and 2 strikers that would hit the ground running and win the league?

It will take them a few years to catch us.

Even if they did manage to get that sort of money, which is unlikely but possible, through sales of players, they're going to face the same issue we're about to hit as well - there's a ceiling that holds you down when it comes to getting players to play in Scottish football.

It's taken a few years to get Ajer, Edouard and Christie to be assets they could make serious money on. They weren't at the level they are now when they first signed. When they leave, their replacements will be a step down in the short term, and maybe able to get there in time if they make the right decisions.

We've got the same issue coming up. Our replacements for players like Morelos, Barisic, Kamara, Kent, Aribo, Hagi and Helander, if they move on any time soon, aren't likely to be as good as they are right now. The hope is that you find players who are better than they were when they first arrived, and have even higher potential, but if you're a "buy low, sell high" club, you need to accept some dips in quality at times.

That’s has got to be up there with the worst article ever sponsored by Hollicom how can that actually get printed in any paper surely even the thickest of them can’t believe that
They don't believe it, it's pure papist propaganda.

I can't believe that is a genuine article, I don't know where to start.

Trying to be clever and insightful by talking about players' transfer fees amortising over their contract length (which is true) but they seem to have a complete misunderstanding of the difference between profit and cash (what goes in the coffers as they put it). Embarrassing.

Reactions: SCG
If Howe does become manager does he have the personality or background to attract decent players?

I think not.
He will pick up players from the English Championship a d EFL but Celtic will have to pay the required wages.
They will not come cheap.

"warchest", "jetting in", "showdown talks" "sources".

I haven't read the article, I'm just guessing these cliches will be in there somewhere.
That's pretty much it. 'Celtic not doing business for less than 25 million' was a stand out for me. This is for Edouard, a player that has months left on an existing contract and was apparently desperate to leave at the start of this season. Comic book 'journalism.'

its sums up Balance Sheet FCs thinking

not that spending £4.3m + wages on Ntcham would only be a tenuous profit if he went for £4.4m
no
its his balance sheet worth that dictates profit

You just know that all four of them will have an agent in their ear telling them to hold off and sign pre contracts in January instead, so they can pocket a huge signing on fee.

What's 0 + 0 + 0 + 0?

wtf is this guy on about? in the real world if you sell a player for less than you bought him for then you've made a loss and vice versa no amount of smoke and mirrors on the accounts books can hide that

Back