Daily record The game could have went either way

Got to be up there with 1 of our best European results and that’s the best they can Come up with , I’m not saying willem are world beaters but who expected to go out there and get 4-0 result , out in Holland

To be honest I just checked there and at 8:22pm last night I Whatsapped my group chat "It's going to be a long night" then at 8:24 "Yessssss" as Tav scored. So IMHO upto then it could have gone either way.

Could have gone*

They had chances before half time, but you can't describe a 0-4 win as having been a tight game.
In all honesty, first 10 -15 mins, it was tight and they obviously had a few chances, Mcgregor making excellent saves. At the same time though, we had a few ourself, from the wings and long balls in behind.
After that though....

But let me guess it was a dominant performance by Cheltic after their 90th minute winner

It was the least 4-0 win I have seen us have. We survived a battering early and some great saves after we had scored. Superb win as it wasn’t just a rollover, we beat a decent side playing well 4-0

That’s the thing about footbAll it can go either way, there is a deciding factor for the way it goes though, goals.

Ok tin hat on, I thought the scoreline flattered us , it couldve went any way in the first twenty minutes, they missed an absolute sitter, our midfield was missing, (for most of the match), we were outplayed the first half and our habit of overplaying and negative play was evident, Second half we improved probably because of the scoreline, but the midfield selection is a real problem which will bite us on the arse when we face better teams
Mate, I agree with the scoreline flattering us a bit, but the rest of what you say is nonsense. It's a football match, other teams will have chances and create. We also missed chances - Kent a d Hagi in the sitter category. We will come unstuck against better teams (because they're better) but as far as Europe goes Gerrard's teams perform as well as any Rangers side, if not better. Have a look at the EL teams last night. Ours was the best away result of the night. Even Spurs struggled against a mob I'd new heard of.

you just know that underneath all that bitterness and child like reporting they are so proud of us flying the European flag for Scotland. Or maybe not.

every game can go either way.

that’s the point of the game. Teams feel each other out and then the better team usually comes out in front, now and again the weaker team come out in front. It’s the way of the game.

as usual a bitter mentally challenged can’t handle when their heroes are better than the team they claim to support.

it’s just another level of obsession.
Don’t buy, click or read the rhebel. A shithole of a paper.

For the first 20 minutes we were slow to react and anticipate and it looked like they were certain to score at some point.

The penalty changed everything - seemed to waken Rangers up and after that it was a much better game where both teams were having a real attempt to play attacking football. Rangers dominant in the final quarter of the match though - they had a burst for 5 mins after their double substitution but after that settled down then it was all about Rangers seeing out the match.

The Daily Record sports reporters have no concept of what happens in a game of football.

More than anything though.. it was an entertaining football match. Much better to watch than most that Rangers are involved in domestically, where it’s all about using numbers of people and big lumps of lads to try to stop our creative players from playing the game. Maybe the Record reporters should add that to their observations.

Typical of the record, trying to pick out the negatives of a great result for us and scottish football for that matter
The headline probably has some truth in it, they started better and had could've been 1 or 2 up before we got the penalty.
Fact is though that they weren't a couple up and we went on to dominate the 2nd gakf and run out comfortable winners.
I think we looked like an experienced European side tonight.

25 minutes in and the mentally challengeds aplenty that hammered into Willem II at 5/2 definitely didn’t think it could go either way.
They knew their cash was heading down the tubes.

Glorious.
Only hope that plenty of mentally challengeds departed with their hand-outs betting on Willem ll.

I'd accept that argument at half time. They could definitely have had a goal or two. Over the 90 minutes though it's quite a ridiculous thing to say.

Should have been behind before we scored and then Mcgregor makes a terrific save as well to keep it 2-0. 2nd half much bettwr but Gerrard even said himself in his RTV interview it wasn't a 4-0 kind of game.

Tbf it could have went either way. Even at 2-0 they looked very dangerous. But we took our chances and they’d didn’t and got skelped as a result

Had to laugh at Lennon last night, " team should be proud as this team have never lost a European game at home" Riga were only formed in 2015 and played 6 yes 6 European games at home since 2018 and most of them against teams like Dundalk and another from the Faroes and mostly in the Europa league qualifiers.

:)
Blowtorch and Lennon's neck spring to mind.

But not surprised - they're adept at twisting facts (while keeping a straight face).
Neither am I surprised the media doesn't appear to be challenging his reaction to their game.

Should have been behind before we scored and then Mcgregor makes a terrific save as well to keep it 2-0. 2nd half much bettwr but Gerrard even said himself in his RTV interview it wasn't a 4-0 kind of game.
He also didn't say that the game could have went either way

It was a weird game.

Far from our best performance of the season yet came away with easily our best result.

McGregor made three outstanding saves and we were just far more clinical where it counted.

For me it showed our class at this level - able to win comfortably against tricky opponents without being at our best.

Lets be honest that assessment is pretty accurate. That could've easily ended 5-5, bar some horrendous finishing from Willem and some great saves from McGregor.

We need to defend better next week than we did tonight.

However the Scottish Media should not be focusing on that negative they should be focusing on a resounding win and Rangers coming through a tough tie, they should be full of praise for how clinical we were and how amazing McGregor is. Full of praise for Kent.

Plus we are now as a nation 12th in the coefficient table, pretty certain that is 15 places higher than we were as a nation when we returned to the SPL.

0 -4 guys, Scottish press should be shouting our names loud and proud but we no longer live in that world.
Typical from the rebel - mentally challengeds struggle to beat a team from one of the poorest countries in Europe yet are lauded. We beat a decent Eredivisie side convincingly on their own patch yet it gets sh@t upon.

Lets be honest that assessment is pretty accurate. That could've easily ended 5-5, bar some horrendous finishing from Willem and some great saves from McGregor.

We need to defend better next week than we did tonight.

However the Scottish Media should not be focusing on that negative they should be focusing on a resounding win and Rangers coming through a tough tie, they should be full of praise for how clinical we were and how amazing McGregor is. Full of praise for Kent.

Plus we are now as a nation 12th in the coefficient table, pretty certain that is 15 places higher than we were as a nation when we returned to the SPL.
All correct, of course, but you will be waiting a long time for any acknowledgement of the facts in the gutter press.

Mhedia fanzine, never have, never will give Rangers any credit even if we won the trophy, they would harp on about how there beloved Mhanky mob were unluckily knocked out in Sarajevo.
Rangers don't need any Mhedia backing.
As far as the Willem game goes that was a decent match simply we took our chances they didn't.
If only we were so clinical in our two drawn domestic games.
In Lyon a few years back we had three chances and scored all three.

We’ve played a lot better in games last year and didn’t even win. Last night was a weird game, we couldn’t hold the ball at times and gifted possession. However when the chances came we put them away.

Almost the opposite from Hibs on Sunday.

It was a weird game. Not sure 4-0 is especially reflective of the performance, but it does highlight how amazing it is when you take your chances.

We've not been used to that these past few seasons.

The first and last time they will report a 4-0 win as a game that could have gone either way.

Unless we best Galatasaray 4-0 next week.

It was a weird game. Not sure 4-0 is especially reflective of the performance, but it does highlight how amazing it is when you take your chances.

We've not been used to that these past few seasons.

was great sitting at half time being 2-0 up not stressing as much!

Sunday was a f.ucking nightmare in that regard.

4-0 defo flattered us, but as football fans across Europe look at results, it will say 4-0 and they will be impressed, its a fantastic result. Our stock is rising again, we dont need the press in our backwards wee country to give us the praise we deserve, we are getting it on a far wider scale.

Well before we scored they had the better chances. If they had better strikers and scored those then yes it would’ve went their way.

Back