Daniel Candeias breaks Rangers silence as he reveals his Steven Gerrard admiration

BlueMeanie

The 31-year-old was adored at Ibrox for his dedicated displays and has lifted the lid on his relationship with his former boss.

Thankful Daniel Candeias has saluted Steven Gerrard despite the Rangers boss sanctioning his Ibrox exit this summer.
The Portuguese winger was a smash-hit at Ibrox during his two-year stay after winning fans over with his tireless workrate and crossing ability.
Candeais, who has played for 13 senior clubs during his nomadic career, joined Turkish outfit Gençlerbirliği during the summer transfer window with added competition for places after the arrivals of Sheyi Ojo, Greg Stewart, Jake Hastie and Jordan Jones.
The Ibrox boss showed his ruthless streak by ditching Candeias from the Europa League squad against St Joseph's before his departure.

But the 31-year-old has no hard feelings when it comes to Gerrard and reckons the Liverpool legend has all the skills required to carve out a long and illustrious career in the Rangers dugout to rival his storied playing career.
Candeias told OJogo: "Gerrard on his way to being a great coach, in the image of what he was as a player. He intervenes when the game asks, not like the ones who fight on the sideline, he talks to the players at the right time.

"He’s calm and doesn’t fail to say what is needed, but if he has to be aggressive, he’ll speak in the locker room. The experience he has accumulated as a player has been important, he can pass it on to the players. In European competition, everyone will be aware of what they will face."

Candeias was speaking ahead of his former side's visit to his homeland to take on Porto in their Europa League showdown on Thursday night.
The wide man is certain his Ibrox pals will be able to cope with the atmosphere in the Estadio do Dragao and is backing Alfredo Morelos to wreak havoc in the Group G encounter.

He added: “The atmosphere won’t be a problem for Rangers because they’re used to always playing with 50,000 fans on the weekend. So they won’t be influenced by the pressure of the stands, it’s indifferent to them.
“Rangers are a team with a lot of attitude, with quality players who play aggressive football, try to push high, like to have the ball and make a simple circulation. They are similar to FC Porto in terms of aggressiveness and the pursuit of possession.
“They have a Colombian striker, Alfredo Morelos, who scores many goals and has a lot of quality. There’s also quality in players like the other striker Defoe. There’s also the right back James Tavernier, who goes up his channel a lot, supports the attack well and crosses well.”

Realise how much we miss Daniel Candieas and how much of an affect it’s had on Tav.

Two of them linked up so well and it’s clear to see
Still had much to offer I think and we are badly missing the link ups between him and Tav,but it's not as if he was forced out the door and left of his own accord.

Still had much to offer I think and we are badly missing the link ups between him and Tav,but it's not as if he was forced out the door and left of his own accord.
Which is fair enough as I don’t think he was guaranteed to be playing most weeks so you can’t really blame him at his stage in career.

I’d just much rather have him than Ojo who doesn’t even seem as if he wants to be here when he’s on the park

Crossing ability?

His work rate was second to none, but we need more quality from our forwards.

Reactions: dmg
Candeias worked hard but lacked any real quality in the final third.

We couldn’t promise him a place in the starting XI, so instead of lying to him, keeping him in the squad and then having an unhappy player on our books - we let him try and find a move.

I think it was the right call tbh.

Daniel was a bit of an enigma.
A great grafter who was capable of sublime moments in a match, indeed some of his better moments were world-class, however, he could also fail to complete a five-yard pass.
Overall though, he will always be a favoured son who will be welcome back in the future.

Can understand his reasons for leaving, but imo his link up play with Tav and the pressure he put on opposion is sorely missed at times. We don't really have any options on the right other than Stewart who I like alot but is a totally different player, I would much rather Candeias was playing there than Arfield who is wasted out there.

We couldn’t promise him a place in the starting XI, so instead of lying to him, keeping him in the squad and then having an unhappy player on our books - we let him try and find a move.

I really like Candeias but his goal scoring record was abysmal for someone of his quality, in that position, playing in Scotland.

He grafted though - he worked really hard and made things easier for others but ultimately he wasn’t going to push us on to a league title.

Ojo has more quality, but you’d never get Candeias going through the motions not trying a leg like Ojo on Sunday. Natural ability is worth little if your attitude stinks.

I understand why he wanted to leave, I even respect it, a footballer who isn’t happy to just sit on his arse and earn a mint is a rarity these days. Ultimately, I like Candeias and will remember him fondly.

Left of his own accord but the message was clear when he was left out of the euro squad.
How much of Tav’s poor form I’d down to this we will never know it certainly looks to be a factor.

"There’s also quality in players like the other striker Defoe also the right back James Tavernier, who goes up his channel a lot!"
I'm all for unity in the dressing room but for me, this is taking it a tad too far!
:cool:

:)

Or "insists"

Honestly, I lament the loss of genuine sports journalists in this country. The current crop of arseholes write as though Nat5 English and a year at Cardonald College was the golden ticket to a life-long career in the Scottish Mhedia

Those qualifications would place a sports journalist amongst the best educated in Scotland mate.

Daniel was a bit of an enigma.
A great grafter who was capable of sublime moments in a match, indeed some of his better moments were world-class, however, he could also fail to complete a five-yard pass.
Overall though, he will always be a favoured son who will be welcome back in the future.
Spot on!!

Which is fair enough as I don’t think he was guaranteed to be playing most weeks so you can’t really blame him at his stage in career.

I’d just much rather have him than Ojo who doesn’t even seem as if he wants to be here when he’s on the park

You can see that. I can see that.

Yet strangely Stevie cannot see that.

Repeating myself but there must be penalty clauses if he does not get game time. Murphy, Jones and Kent will be available soon. Reckon we will try and send him back in January.

The problem isn’t we haven’t really replaced him in my eyes. I’d have Candeias over Ojo any day at the moment.

Realise how much we miss Daniel Candieas and how much of an affect it’s had on Tav.

Two of them linked up so well and it’s clear to see
I did say as soon as he left that for all his roughness in his delivery ect its what else he brought that'd we'd miss I think it's evidently clear to see the more the season moves on.

Crossing ability?

His work rate was second to none, but we need more quality from our forwards.

A fair point, but have we achieved that by replacing him? Personally I think not.

Add in the effect on Tav’s performances and I’d say that it was a mistake to let him go. I’m sure in hindsight SG was expecting better from ones he brought in. Be interesting to see where Ojo stands when Kent & Jones are fully fit and of course Stewart is another option.

A fair point, but have we achieved that by replacing him? Personally I think not.

Add in the effect on Tav’s performances and I’d say that it was a mistake to let him go. I’m sure in hindsight SG was expecting better from ones he brought in. Be interesting to see where Ojo stands when Kent & Jones are fully fit and of course Stewart is another option.

Im not sure either, but I’m hopeful that Jones and Stewart will both deliver the end product on a consistent basis that was lacking.

I can see how it appears that Tav’s dip in form is due to Candias leaving, but I’m not convinced. The poor crossing and bad decision making are of his own doing and Candias on to cover doesn’t improve either imo.

We made a huge mistake letting Candeias go. Him & Tav worked well together. He put in a shift every game . For me Arfield & Ojo have dipped in form recently. Arfield looks out his depth at timesCandeias gave his all

Back