Daniel Cousin

Chris01

Signed for us 15 years ago today for reported £1.5m (transfermarkt).

11 goals in 28 games (transfermarkt) before moving to Hull and scoring against both Manchester clubs and Arsenal.

From the brilliance against Celtic in the 4-2 game….to getting sent off against Fiorentina.

I thought he was a good striker - liked him.

Was it true he nearly resigned for us when we got kicked down the divisions?

I thought he was sensational at times. He had a Morelosness about him when he was in the mood. Decent pace, powerful, a nightmare to play against.

At times he couldn't be bothered.

He basically has resigned in February 2012 even as far as being in the stand at, I think, East End Park.

Still think he is the best finisher we’ve ever had and appreciate that’s quite a statement. Only needed one chance (like against Lyon)

Sadly he has lots of not so good qualities. I’d still have welcomed him back in 2012 though.

He looked so dangerous on his day and bullied defences similar to Morelos. Was gutted when he left.

One of the most romanticised players we ever had because he played really well a couple of times against Lyon & Celtic. I’m sure that’ll be unpopular, but I cannot fathom how much he gets romanticised.

Great business, I’m sure we signed him aged 30 for £750k, he scores a goal less than every three games and we sell him for double our money after he rag dolls Celtic.

The fact he was getting painted as some great white saviour when we were trying to sign him aged 34 or something after he was playing Greek nobodies is indicative of how depressing 2012 was.

Last edited:
his sending off at the piggery was cheating by celtic and the ref, never a sending off.
I'm pretty sure Kirk Broadfoot got booked for being assaulted when that big donkey Jim Vinegar of Castlemilk was sent off.

15 years fucksake o_O

matt-damon.gif

I remember big cousin literary bullying that big donkey McManus, a think he will remember him alright, that goal across the line against the mhanks was brilliant, another player though that was very inconsistent, on form though ,that’s what we need at present.

Reactions: TCB
Mark Wilson still has nightmares about him.

I thought he was a great player with the way he played with that arrogance and definitely showed it against celtic that day, I wonder how good he would have been if he played every game like he was interested. You just wonder what the final would have been like if he played.

I can't think of another Rangers player who's performances could be so different.

On his day unplayable and had just about every attribute you'd want.

Other days totally uninterested and a waste of a jersey.

If we'd had him available and motivated in Manchester we'd have had a real chance.

Some player with a honking attitude.

Could have been so much more, what a game he had in Lyon.

But to miss the UEFA final through his own stupidity sums him up.

I'm not sure that should really be described as a screamer given the keeper flung it in.

Speculative perhaps.
I seem to remember it being suggested at the time that the keeper was dodgy and the players were being encouraged to have a few speculative efforts. Their keeper messed up for the 2nd as well that night.

Awesome against Werder Bremen, they couldn’t cope with him.

He’d been getting a bit of stick previously for lack of effort, went of injured late on with an injury to a few boos (despite his performance) turned out he had broken his jaw!

I seem to remember it being suggested at the time that the keeper was dodgy and the players were being encouraged to have a few speculative efforts. Their keeper messed up for the 2nd as well that night.
He did indeed.

It was after this game, and the "luck" with both goals, that I booked rooms for Manchester.

He lived close to me whilst at Ibrox. Upon his departure I saw his apartment. Beautiful oak floors ruined by a running machine. When I was shown it after his departure, I asked if his Mrs was a runner, as I doubted Daniel used it much. It wasn't met with much hilarity. A spoiled, waste of talent.

• Haha
Reactions: TQ3
I remember reading at the time that fans had been protesting against him at his old club, which probably tells you everything you need to know about his attitude.

There's a lot of mythologizing going on here. At the end of the 2008 season, he wasn't really there when we needed him most: after that goal against Werder Bremen, he scored once more the entire season, which meant that we dropped points in five of our last eight games. I know the team were knackered but there's a case to be made that when we needed him to step up, he was found wanting.

That's before we get to him nearly blowing our chances of reaching the UEFA cup final.

When it suited him, he was more than ready to turn it on: he got a move to the EPL on the back of his masterclass against Celtic at Parkhead. I was there that day and couldn't quite believe that he managed to squeeze the first one in.

I’m sure he was in the stands for a against Dunfermline at East End Park just before admin and the league blocking the tranfsfer.
Yeah that’s how I remembered it too. By the looks of it he was released that January and was meant to sign for us but because of admin it was blocked.

Mark Wilson still gets terrorised about him on Clyde 1 due to the rag-dolling he received.

I love the story about how McCoist and the likes were winding him up in training and getting him psyched up all week before the Old Firm where he absolutely bullied Mark Wilson and then got sent off in a 4-2 win?

He was one of the best when he put his mind to it. Could have been a legend for our club but thot Hull was a better option. Deary fukn me.

Cracking player when he fancied it.
My abiding memory of him is after the red card in Fiorentina. Walter throwing his clipboard to the ground in frustration. Can only imagine what it was like to try and manage him.

Back