Daniel Johnson of Preston

Has Goldson, Jack, Kamara, Kent, Aribo, Morelos played top flight football? I assume your talking about the English Premier League or top leagues? Because the English championship is a better standard than Scottish football dont you think?

That is a fair point, but it’s a gamble.

It’s my opinion that what we really need to win the title is a player that comes in and instantly improves us in the middle of the park, a guy that can control games and dictate play.

They don’t come cheap, I know, but we spent £7m on Kent last summer and, supposedly, around £5m on Roofe this. I think we probably need to be looking at that calibre of player - one a highly rated prospect at Liverpool; the other from Belgium’s most illustrious side - if we want to succeed this season.

I don’t feel Johnson is that level of player and I can’t help feeling that if we sold Morelos for £18m tomorrow he’d be the extent of of our outlay on the return.

1 who the %^*& is haggis?
2 How many of our current players were ‘proven winners’? Thats not where we shop anymore! We make them we don’t buy them!

I'd go further and ask how many players in our title winning teams were "proven winners" before we signed them?

Weir Davis Thomson Naismith Boyd Mendes Novo McCulloch Whittaker Broadfoot Edu Bougherra Papac Lafferty

Not many medals among them pre-Rangers.

What had Goram, McCoist, Bomber etc won before they signed for us?

This "proven winners" stuff is bollocks.

I haven't seen him play no but I have watched Preston and I don't remember the guy being in the team

Looking at his history he is 27 years old, never won anything in his life, failed at Villa, had a few loan spells in the lower leagues and now doing quite well at Preston.

We need winners in the team, guys who have been over the course and won trophies we have enough young players like Aribo, haggis, Kent. We have enough firepower, Imo we now need someone who will be a 1st team regular with a proven track record
Haggis. Neeps and tatties?

I'd go further and ask how many players in our title winning teams were "proven winners" before we signed them?

Weir Davis Thomson Naismith Boyd Mendes Novo McCulloch Whittaker Broadfoot Edu Bougherra Papac Lafferty

Exactly! We make winners thats what we do. Bar the Advocaat years its what we’ve always done!

I haven't seen him play no
but I have watched Preston and I don't remember the guy being in the team

Looking at his history he is 27 years old, never won anything in his life, failed at Villa, had a few loan spells in the lower leagues and now doing quite well at Preston.

We need winners in the team, guys who have been over the course and won trophies we have enough young players like Aribo, haggis, Kent. We have enough firepower, Imo we now need someone who will be a 1st team regular with a proven track record

Your opinion on him as a footballer is irrelevant then.

I haven't seen him play no but I have watched Preston and I don't remember the guy being in the team

Never seen him play but you know he is not good enough?

Superb post. It’s about the player and the person, not necessarily what they have won.

Not sure about the player, know nothing about him but medal haul is not relevant once he is on the pitch.

Could say the same about Alfredo morelos at rangers, won nothing, but still 2 European goals away from being rangers top European goalscorer and still a rangers hero, but still won nothing at rangers.

The obvious difference there though is that almost all of the players you list above joined a club where there was a core of players who had won titles and silverware stewarded by managers who’d done likewise.

That’s not the case now.

Johnson looks a decent enough player, but as usual there’s a raft of punters falling over themselves to shout down those airing what seem to me like fairly understandable concerns.

We’ve not won anything in almost a decade and I still think we lack greater quality in the middle of the park to anything we already have if we’re to really push for the title this season.

I’m not convinced a journeyman 28 year old from Preston North End is the answer to that, but it could be an indication of where we are financially, especially if we can’t rely on the sale of one of our big assets, that we’re looking at him now.

The obvious difference there though is that almost all of the players you list above joined a club where there was a core of players who had won titles and silverware stewarded by managers who’d done likewise.

That’s not the case now.

Johnson looks a decent enough player, but as usual there’s a raft of punters falling over themselves to shout down those airing what seem to me like fairly understandable concerns.

We’ve not won anything in almost a decade and I still think we lack greater quality in the middle of the park to anything we already have if we’re to really push for the title this season.

I’m not convinced a journeyman 28 year old from Preston North End is the answer to that, but it could be an indication of where we are financially, especially if we can’t rely on the sale of one of our big assets, that we’re looking at him now.

Now I have no idea if Johnson will succeed at Ibrox or if he’s “what we need” however; how can you refer to a 27 year old man who’s been with the same team for 5 years as a journeyman?

That’s not the case now.

He’s 27 and fair play but I’ll trust Gerrard and McAllister over the panic merchants on here :)

Thats the thing I love about FF the people who have actually seen him play their opinion gets instantly dismissed
Mate more than 3/4 of folk on here wanted barasic kicked out the door. Forgive me for not trusting some people in FF for their scouting ability.
I will trust bomber and other scouts we have watching Preston not the bloke on here that watches a few games in the pub in Preston with his mates occasionally.

Its worth listening closely to the fans who have seen him play week in week out, it is not always sour grapes.
Not a player but i remember the Sheffield United fans to a man warning us about Charles Green, i got well sucked in by his charm (bullshit) writing off the fans comments which was a huge error because they were spot on.

Its worth listening closely to the fans who have seen him play week in week out, it is not always sour grapes.
Not a player but i remember the Sheffield United fans to a man warning us about Charles Green, i got well sucked in by his charm (bullshit) writing off the fans comments which was a huge error because they were spot on.
Yeh but Charles Green isn’t a footballer, easy for folk to call out conmen but judging ability is what scouts are for

I always find it incredible how easily people admit to never having watched a player whom they're currently in the process of criticising :D.

I reckon I'll trust the scouting department, who have probably seen a little bit more of him than you have.

I never criticised anyone, I just don't think he is the right type of player for us going by what I have read. I am completely sorry for having an opinion that you disagree with

How tedious is this? People writing extended posts justifying being a miserable bastard with zero patience.

Is this still even a potential signing now? That all gets completely lost because of the drivel that goes on.

Never seen him play and I don't go with youtube videos as they can make anybody look good. I have seen a couple of comments about him saying he works hard and tracks back. That indicates his attitude is good which is a big positive for me. Regarding his ability I will go with our scouting team if we sign him.

He’s 27 and fair play but I’ll trust Gerrard and McAllister over the panic merchants on here :)

He’ll be 28 in a fortnight.

I’m not dismissing the guy, it sounds as if he’s a decent enough player, but we all more or less agreed that we need a more dynamic box to box midfielder that instantly improves us, not just in the middle of the park, but as a team on the whole.

Essentially I’ve long felt that this player needs to be a big signing, one that takes us on to another level. On paper I’m not convinced that’s Johnson - there was a Preston season ticket holder on this thread previously who said exactly the same.

So it’s not really a pop at the player, more a concern about the calibre of player we’re looking at for such an important position.

As I say, if we sold Morelos for £18m tomorrow I think it would be more than just me feeling that bringing in a 28 year old from Preston North End for a couple of million quid was scant return for that kind of money.

I can't see Puncheon's name without remembering when he went for a dump :D

I’m not entirely sure how I should reply to that :D

Johnson is a technical player who can play intricate football around the area and can score from long range. Basically an effective Greg Stewart, similar in style to Jason Puncheon.

Yeah but their fans are saying he's a cracking player.

We need to balance maintaining our league position till we get Aribo/Jack back, if that means buying now then do because 2nd this year is not acceptable!

I think we need a higher level of player for the mid field roll that we are trying to fill , the Championship level in England is certainly above our level but the filth are recruiting from a higher level again there last couple of signings have come from the EPL & seasoned internationalist scoring regularly up here that's the worry I have that we are recruiting at a lower level than them

I checked the thread expecting an update on the situation and its just pages of bitching.

Back