Daniel Johnson would be perfect fit for Ibrox at right time, says former Gers star Andy Little

BlueMeanie

ANDY LITTLE insists Daniel Johnson is the perfect fit for Rangers at just the right time as Steven Gerrard closes in on the midfielder.

Former Ibrox star Little teamed up with Johnson at Preston and has no doubt that the Jamaican will be a sensation if the deal can be done.

Little reckons the 27-year-old ticks all the boxes – especially with Joe Aribo out for a lengthy period and Ryan Jack also side-lined.

He said: “He’s a Steven Gerrard type of player. He’s very gifted, a good athlete and at a great point in his career.

“You look at his most notable recent signings – Hagi, Kent, Aribo – Johnson comes into the category and I have no doubt he came make an impact.

Little believes Daniel Johnson is keen to move to Rangers.
“I’ve heard that he’s keen to go to Rangers through my contacts down there so I think that’s very important.

“Getting the chance to go to Ibrox doesn’t happen every day of the week and I feel he will handle playing for Rangers.

“In my opinion there are a lot of similarities between him and Joe Aribo – they’ve got that technical ability and the skill to find a pass.

“So, it will be interesting to see where Steven Gerrard plays him because he’s been using two deep-lying midfielders and playing Hagi in the No10 role since Aribo has been out.

“I reckon he’s just as comfortable as a number 10 as he is in the central midfield. He’s left-sided and very athletic.”

Johnson was Preston’s player of the year last season and Little reckons his firepower is also an attraction.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard wants to add to his midfield options
He said: “Rangers need goals from midfield and he can bring that, especially as there have been so many injuries recently and the setback that Aribo has suffered.

“He scored 12 goals last season which is great although I think half of them were penalties.

“But that’s no bad thing for Rangers as they had a few problems from the spot last season.

“Last season was the first season he played number 10. When I knew him, he was more of a central midfielder.

“So that’s obviously one of the reasons he scored so many and also got so many assists.”

Little teamed up with Johnson in the 2014/15 season when Preston won promotion back to the Championship.

Little revealed it was by starring against Preston that earned Johnson a move to Deepdale.

He said: “He came up against Preston when we played Chesterfield in a league match and he was brilliant. He was on loan there from Aston Villa.

“He was the outstanding performer. I think it was only a couple of weeks later that Simon Grayson signed him for a fee of around 50 grand – much the same as what Rangers paid Dundee for Glen Kamara – and both have been absolute bargains.

“So, if they get £2.3million or whatever it is then it’s been very good business for Preston as he’s given them great service.

“Peter Ridsdale runs a tight ship down there so I’m sure he’ll have his business head on.

“Daniel played a key role in winning through the play-offs in his first season – ironically we beat Chesterfield in the semis.

“He’s been a mainstay for them since and that’s not surprising because he was a really well-educated footballer, really tidy on the ball, technically excellent and very fast over 10 metres.

“He’s a really good lad, a top pro and he’ll love the big stage. I’m delighted as an ex-team mate to see him get the chance because rarely do players surpass playing for Rangers.

“It’s often the best part of a player’s career. Not too many leave to go on to bigger and better things.”

ANDY LITTLE insists Daniel Johnson is the perfect fit for Rangers at just the right time as Steven Gerrard closes in on the midfielder.

Former Ibrox star Little teamed up with Johnson at Preston and has no doubt that the Jamaican will be a sensation if the deal can be done.

Little reckons the 27-year-old ticks all the boxes – especially with Joe Aribo out for a lengthy period and Ryan Jack also side-lined.

He said: “He’s a Steven Gerrard type of player. He’s very gifted, a good athlete and at a great point in his career.

“You look at his most notable recent signings – Hagi, Kent, Aribo – Johnson comes into the category and I have no doubt he came make an impact.

“I’ve heard that he’s keen to go to Rangers through my contacts down there so I think that’s very important.

“Getting the chance to go to Ibrox doesn’t happen every day of the week and I feel he will handle playing for Rangers.

“In my opinion there are a lot of similarities between him and Joe Aribo – they’ve got that technical ability and the skill to find a pass.

“So, it will be interesting to see where Steven Gerrard plays him because he’s been using two deep-lying midfielders and playing Hagi in the No10 role since Aribo has been out.

“I reckon he’s just as comfortable as a number 10 as he is in the central midfield. He’s left-sided and very athletic.”

Johnson was Preston’s player of the year last season and Little reckons his firepower is also an attraction.

He said: “Rangers need goals from midfield and he can bring that, especially as there have been so many injuries recently and the setback that Aribo has suffered.

“He scored 12 goals last season which is great although I think half of them were penalties.

“But that’s no bad thing for Rangers as they had a few problems from the spot last season.

“Last season was the first season he played number 10. When I knew him, he was more of a central midfielder.

“So that’s obviously one of the reasons he scored so many and also got so many assists.”

Little teamed up with Johnson in the 2014/15 season when Preston won promotion back to the Championship.

Little revealed it was by starring against Preston that earned Johnson a move to Deepdale.

He said: “He came up against Preston when we played Chesterfield in a league match and he was brilliant. He was on loan there from Aston Villa.

“He was the outstanding performer. I think it was only a couple of weeks later that Simon Grayson signed him for a fee of around 50 grand – much the same as what Rangers paid Dundee for Glen Kamara – and both have been absolute bargains.

“So, if they get £2.3million or whatever it is then it’s been very good business for Preston as he’s given them great service.

“Peter Ridsdale runs a tight ship down there so I’m sure he’ll have his business head on.

“Daniel played a key role in winning through the play-offs in his first season – ironically we beat Chesterfield in the semis.

“He’s been a mainstay for them since and that’s not surprising because he was a really well-educated footballer, really tidy on the ball, technically excellent and very fast over 10 metres.

“He’s a really good lad, a top pro and he’ll love the big stage. I’m delighted as an ex-team mate to see him get the chance because rarely do players surpass playing for Rangers.

“It’s often the best part of a player’s career. Not too many leave to go on to bigger and better things.”
Great words there from Andy. First hand experience of playing alongside Johnson as well.

With his contract expiring in the summer it would be in everyone’s interests to do a deal but I can see this dragging on right to the end of the transfer window

Have any footballers ever came out and said their ex-teammate would be shit for a club they are linked to?

Im really encouraged by this one as there’s a shit load of ex team mates and opponents who have come out and said this guy is a player - and I say that as someone who wasn’t keen on his profile initially

What’s the general consensus of the Preston fans and Johnson?

Haven’t had a chance to look on their forums.

Must be close if little is speaking about him surely.

as part of the commentary team, the club would have told him to say nothing if it wasnt a goer

Don't need anymore crocks signed.
Be careful with this one, beginning to think we have had our fingers burned with Roofe and Aribo.

Don't need anymore crocks signed.
Be careful with this one, beginning to think we have had our fingers burned with Roofe and Aribo.

Nonsense post.

Aribo was a cross border fee and is now playing a prominent part in the Nigerian squad getting rave reviews. He’s also just 24. We won’t be losing money on him. You must have missed some of his performances last season?

Roofes “injury” record as previously posted on here is a myth.

Aribo was exactly who I thought about when I watched Johnson's YouTube video.

I would imagine Johnson would be an option as a centre mid, one of the wide 10s or playing as the 10 in a 4231. Will give us good options in a few different positions.

Nonsense post.

Aribo was a cross border fee and is now playing a prominent part in the Nigerian squad getting rave reviews. He’s also just 24. We won’t be losing money on him. You must have missed some of his performances last season?

Agree to Disagree Chris, any time Aribo is out it is weeks instead of days.
Ask Anderlecht why they offloaded Ruffe and injuries would be the first word needing translated.
I would sign DJ from Preston as there is a place for a goalscoring midfielder if he has little injury history.
Also it's been a while since we had a DJ in the team and that would be nice.

I know nothing of the lad other than the usual highlight videos etc. Instinct is he's not the type of midfielder we need.

However, the amount of pro's who really back this guy is incredible. So hopefully he turns out to be an unexpected gem.

Agree to Disagree Chris, any time Aribo is out it is weeks instead of days.
Ask Anderlecht why they offloaded Ruffe and injuries would be the first word needing translated.
I would sign DJ from Preston as there is a place for a goalscoring midfielder if he has little injury history.
Also it's been a while since we had a DJ in the team and that would be nice.

Prior to Roofe signing for Rangers his injury record was as follows. I’ll include games missed.

12th Jan 2020 - 3 July 2020. Calf injury - 173 days , games missed = 9

18th July 2019 - 13th Sept 2019. Ankle injury - 57 days , games missed = 11

10th Sept 2018 - 15th Oct 2018. Calf injury - 35 days , games missed = 6.

So given Roofe has played over 200 league games from his career starting in 2011 with West Brom he has missed 26 games through injury over 9 years. That’s only 3 injury periods.

When that’s compared to other players he’s not the “crock” that he’s made out to be. Look at Eduoard for Celtic - Hes had 8 different injury periods since 2017 missing a total of 22 games for Celtic .....

Sounds good, don’t think we need another Aribo though.

I just can’t shake the idea that he’s in the ‘haven’t sold Morelos’ list of targets. I’d be expecting better/younger if we had £18m in the bank.

However, can’t argue with the boy’s reviews and he’s at his peak which is rare for us.

Prior to Roofe signing for Rangers his injury record was as follows. I’ll include games missed.

12th Jan 2020 - 3 July 2020. Calf injury - 173 days , games missed = 9

18th July 2019 - 13th Sept 2019. Ankle injury - 57 days , games missed = 11

10th Sept 2018 - 15th Oct 2018. Calf injury - 35 days , games missed = 6.

So given Roofe has played over 200 league games from his career starting in 2011 with West Brom he has missed 26 games through injury over 9 years. That’s only 3 injury periods.

When that’s compared to other players he’s not the “crock” that he’s made out to be. Look at Eduoard for Celtic - Hes had 8 different injury periods since 2017 missing a total of 22 games for Celtic .....
The fact he's had multiple calf issues since 2018 not an issue then? Out again with a calf injury now.

Just as we thought from the footage we seen not any different to what we have much like Aribo with less ability and not as quick.

Gerrard doing a Wenger here buying the same kind of player over again we need power and someone who can take a game by the scruff of the neck.

Absolutely gutted to lose him especially for such a low fee.

There was a guy on here who was also a ST holder at Preston who said that while he was probably their best player last season he didn’t feel he was necessarily any better than we already have.

I can envisage him being solid and strengthening us as a squad in terms of providing a greater depth of options, but I just don’t feel he’s the player who’s going to turn us into title winners and I think that’s what we really need for that position.

It looks to me like he’s indicative of where we are financially unfortunately.

The fact he's had multiple calf issues since 2018 not an issue then? Out again with a calf injury now.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. 2 injuries in 2 years isn’t exactly prominent. I would have thought our medical test with him may have picked this up if there are underlying issues. The way some folk are going on about it is comparable with Tierney!

Not an expert just giving my opinion. If he’s only missing a couple of games that’s fine - anything longer then I’ll start to worry.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game. 2 injuries in 2 years isn’t exactly prominent. I would have thought our medical test with him may have picked this up if there are underlying issues. The way some folk are going on about it is comparable with Tierney!

Not an expert just giving my opinion. If he’s only missing a couple of games that’s fine - anything longer then I’ll start to worry.
The fact he's now on to his 3rd calf issue within 2 years means it's a worry and you have to think he has an issue.

Nonsense post.

Well he needs to start wearing shin pads, his legs will be like a red rag to a bull to the hammer throwers.

Sounds good, don’t think we need another Aribo though.

I just can’t shake the idea that he’s in the ‘haven’t sold Morelos’ list of targets. I’d be expecting better/younger if we had £18m in the bank.

However, can’t argue with the boy’s reviews and he’s at his peak which is rare for us.
I can’t believe we’re not bringing in another midfielder

From his YouTube video he's like an Aribo/Arfield hybrid has good feet and is left sided like Aribo but also makes those late runs into the box like Arfield does

I really like Andy Little but hes just backing his ex team mate here.

He had nothing but praise for his ex mate Josh Windass at Accrington

So we'll see.

serious question to anyone who has watched him play more than once. Is he the type of player we need and is he a step up in quality which we need?

Preston are at home to Brighton tonight in the Cup, so could be a possibility to have a look at him, for anyone interested. A nervous few weeks until the windows closes for us as fans im sure. However, i like how the club have been doing deals on the relative quiet, so to speak. Still need more in midfield than what we have, which im sure the level headed ones of us, would agree.

Preston are at home to Brighton tonight in the Cup, so could be a possibility to have a look at him, for anyone interested. A nervous few weeks until the windows closes for us as fans im sure. However, i like how the club have been doing deals on the relative quiet, so to speak. Still need more in midfield than what we have, which im sure the level headed ones of us, would agree.

Not in the squad. May still have a slight knock or maybe he's on the way:)

I work in Preston. Good mate is ST ticket holder at Deepdale. He says he is a great player, describes him as a box to box midfielder, good turn of pace but one footed (so is CR7). Says they are gutted that he may be leaving. Not in squad tonight which could be a good sign for us. Not best XI out but some star players on bench.

If he's "like" Aribo, I'd pass TBH. Great talent and skill, Joe, but goes hiding when the going gets tough. No steel. Pass.

Back