Daniel Levy gets it

Don Vito

“He contrasted White Hart Lane with the home of Glasgow Rangers, where he had been a non-executive director. You could "smell the history" at Ibrox, Levy explained, whereas he pointed out that some corridors at Tottenham "felt like a jail" because they were unpainted and bare.”

Interview 2001.

In an interview on BBC Sports today on 20 years at Tottenham, Levy contrasted White Hart Lane with the home of Rangers, where he had been a non-executive director. You could " smell the history" at Ibrox Levy explained, whereas some corridors at Spurs " felt like a jail" because they were unpainted and bare.

I think you are missing my point mate,it is very impressive but it has no history,no stories etc its a soulless football stadium albeit a very impressive looking football stadium

it is a magnificent stadium I visited last season but it felt a bit soulless

attended the old white hart lane that had atmosphere of a football ground

I think you are missing my point mate,it is very impressive but it has no history,no stories etc its a soulless football stadium albeit a very impressive looking football stadium
All football stadiums are going to look and feel like that soon at the top levels. Just look at Everton leaving Goodison.

Not been to the new ground but White Hart Lane was a proper old school football ground

I’ve got no love for Tottenham but they currently have the best football stadium in the world in my opinion.
Wasn't it built for the Olympics costing about a billion quid. Not exactly something most clubs would or could afford to do even in England

Theirs has interesting bits though like one wall being part of the old dock building etc.
It looks great from the renditions, but Goodison is one of the most iconic and classic grounds in the country. As an aside one of the recent stadium moves that I actually really wanted to happen that didn't come off was Chelsea and Battersea Power Station

It looks great from the renditions, but Goodison is one of the most iconic and classic grounds in the country. As an aside one of the recent stadium moves that I actually really wanted to happen that didn't come off was Chelsea and Battersea Power Station
That would have been incredibly designed and finished.

That would have been amazing

I attended a Man City v Tottenham match at the Etihad as a corporate guest. Greeted by two gorgeous model quality hosts on the blue carpet, led to our dining experience by another stunning host, good food in a large airy dining suite, took our seats on the half way line, seats which were like armchairs and watched City pummel Spurs by 6.
However, walking up the Marble Staircase into the Blue Room, the trophy room, the managers office knocks the City experience into a cocked hat. The magnificent edifice that is our main stand might not be as luxurious or modern as these magnificent new stadiums, but that smell of history that Levy talked about is real and something to be savoured far more than corporate luxury in my opinion.

I personally would rebuild keeping only Main Stand. But that stand on its own is world football's finest sight.

Don’t get why people say there new stadium is soulless just because it’s new?One day eventually Ibrox apart from main stand will need to be rebuilt. Never been so only looking from the outside but it looks like a magnificent stadium, in pretty much the same spot as the previous stadium, in amongst the same area with the pubs and businesses benefiting from match day income. It’s not some generic bowl built next to a motorway or retail park. I think Spurs have got it spot on having a modern stadium in there traditional home.

Any brand new stadium will appear soulless so it just seems a bizarre criticism mate. I don’t think they’ll be leaving corridors unpainted and bare anyway.

It’s a shitehole with wooden seats!

Don’t get why people say there new stadium is soulless just because it’s new?One day eventually Ibrox apart from main stand will need to be rebuilt. Never been so only looking from the outside but it looks like a magnificent stadium, in pretty much the same spot as the previous stadium, in amongst the same area with the pubs and businesses benefiting from match day income. It’s not some generic bowl built next to a motorway or retail park. I think Spurs have got it spot on having a modern stadium in there traditional home.
What Spurs did was amazing,built around it until they had to move to Wembley for a season and a half.The scale between the new and old White Hart Lane is striking.
They deserve great credit for it.

That would have been amazing. I'm not even a Chelsea fan but that could have been the planet's most iconic stadium.

But hey, ho, I suppose south west London really needs another upmarket retail site.

It's actually an NFL stadium, in design and intent.
Haven't been but that is the impression I have had of the place.

Most impressive new build I have been in is probably Dynamo Dresden - incredible home standing end with a bar leading out right in to the middle it.

Back