Danilho Doekhi chooses Union Berlin

File alongside Veerman.

Never interested in either.

Sorry but some replies are quite pathetic. Of course Rangers were interested and check the Thread from last week, most people were desperate to sign him (and Veerman before). If Red Star Belgrade would be in the Euro League Final it would not make the Serbian League any more interesting for Dutch players would it? So if someone can choose Berlin over Glasgow and the Bundesliga over the SPL - the chances are high that the players will go there instead. Nothing to be ashamed of.

File under the gazillion players we were linked with but didn't get or was never really coming here.

Good, fed up fucking hearing about him on here.

Have we actually been pursuing him or was it one of those where some wee virgin said they signed him on Football Manager and it spread from there?

If we weren't interested in Veerman, we should have been.

There wasn't a single moment in time from last summer until now where we had the money to buy Veerman. Not sure there is any point having interest in someone you don't have the resource to buy is there?

It was clear to all but the youngsters on here who chose to believe the rumours they themselves were largely responsible for.

Our league is sh1t but there's a lot more money in the EPL and championship if he can prove himself in the physicality of our league. Anyway he's made his choice good luck to him.
Always thought our Dutch management could persuade him to join us

There wasn't a single moment in time from last summer until now where we had the money to buy Veerman. Not sure there is any point having interest in someone you don't have the resource to buy is there?

It was clear to all but the youngsters on here who chose to believe the rumours they themselves were largely responsible for.
I do think we were interested in both Veerman and Skov Olsen, since they were both sold that window and were in positions that we were actively looking for (and did end up bringing loan players in for). Likely we just got priced well out of it; Veerman was being quoted as £3-4mil, but actually went for £5.4mil in the end. Skov Olsen was £6.3mil. Probably Ross was trying for a Hagi-type loan to buy deal and Brugge/PSV came in with those monster offers.

I do think we were interested in both Veerman and Skov Olsen, since they were both sold that window and were in positions that we were actively looking for (and did end up bringing loan players in for). Likely we just got priced well out of it; Veerman was being quoted as £3-4mil, but actually went for £5.4mil in the end. Skov Olsen was £6.3mil. Probably Ross was trying for a Hagi-type loan to buy deal and Brugge/PSV came in with those monster offers.
We didn't have that cash to bring in someone new from January 2021, Summer 21 window and winter 22 window.

Lots of people entered the most recent window in full belief we were doing business on Veerman despite the fact we hadn't spent a dime in the previous 3 windows not counting Hagi's loan becoming permanent.

I personally do not believe that short of a loan deal for Olsen, that either move was remotely realistic this season

We evidently didn't have £3m+ for any single player over the period.

He's going to get European football at Union they missed out on the champions league on goal difference and are in the Europa next season. Sometimes just have to accept that our league isn't appealing to players.

Being in the Scottish Premiership is a massive handicap.

A lot of players just don't want to play in a league where 80% of them teams just park the bus with 11 men behind the ball.

It’s a shame, but as others have said a good year or two in Berlin and he’ll have the big three in Germany trying to sign him.

Even if He comes here and plays out his skin the best he could probably hope for are Southampton/Brighton level clubs from EPL looking at him.

Unfortunately it’s a reflection for the regard the rest of the world have for Scottish football

At the risk of sounding bitter, surely if he was that special, better clubs that Union would have scooped him up on a f*cking free transfer?

I genuinely never liked the look of him I think he would have struggled with the speed and physicality of the domestic game tidy on the ball not as good as Godson on the ball or even possibly Souttar though imo it will be his loss if indeed we even offered him anything .
Genuinely forgot we had signed Souttar tbh.

Don't think it's a case of seeing Union Berlin as a superior club to Rangers, more the Bundesliga being more of an attraction.

Let's face it, playing matches v Bayern, Dortmund and the like, playing in fantastic stadia, big crowds weekly, more possibility of international recognition and then the possibility of a transfer to a bigger club.

Or alternatively the joy of playing on those abomination of surfaces at Livingston and Kilmarnock which our ruling bodies seem to think suitable, maybe not such a hard choice.
It's the fact we haven't shown a pathway for that big money move yet.

Until we show that pathway, young promising players will join clubs that show that pathway to the big money move.

People say we are a pathway to the EPL but so far we haven't shown it. The only one to get a big money move to the EPL from us is Patterson who came through our academy.

That could change this summer with the Aribo, Kent, etc rumours.

The league and the country trumps ours I’m afraid, however if you want trophies Rangers are the choice

No they are not
Average attendance is just under 22,000.
Rarely do they get any more.
Still,strange decision for him. :rolleyes:

Stadium Capacity is 22,016 so that would qualify as a sell out to me.

When they were in the Bundesliga II a few years ago, they were in the 58M Euro revenue range.

As a Bundesliga I member, they are now closer to 100M Euro per year without European football. They should have (and probably do have) much deeper pockets to spend on players.

When they were in the Bundesliga II a few years ago, they were in the 58M Euro revenue range.

As a Bundesliga I member, they are now closer to 100M Euro per year without European football. They should have (and probably do have) much deeper

pockets to spend on players

As a Bundesliga I member, they are now closer to 100M Euro per year without European football. They should have (and probably do have) much deeper pockets to spend on players.
My apology.
Getting confused with Hertha Berlin ,who are in a play off to stay uo.
So his decision is not that far fetched ,as they are in the top 5 ,and playing top class football next year.
Punching above their weight so fair play.

Back