Danny Lennon's Suggestion to Improve the Development of Scottish Youth Players

final_straws

Not sure if its been posted yet but BBC has an interview with Danny Lennon who seems to have lost his marbles.

The most ridiculous take is his suggestion about improving scottish youth coaching:

If Lennon can't convince Boris Johnson to add the reinstatement of national service to the Conservative manifesto, he's got another scheme up his sleeve to deliver a batch of players capable of ending Scotland's heinous decades in the footballing doldrums.

"Give me 20-25 kids, and I would take them away to an island for five years where nobody could get access to them and then bring them back," he says. "Discipline, total football, no outside influence, and work with them daily. I would love somebody to invest in that for three years to see where it could take you"

:oops:

He also starts talking about sparrows in virtually the next breath.

Bizzare

I kind of see where he is coming from. My son has been coached with him at Planet Soccer and he is brilliant with the kids. However the majority of coaching is given by parents and although well intentioned I’ve seen some horrific things over the last few years.

1-C2351-B7-FBE1-49-F7-8-D92-D40-D9-D588677.gif

Would end up with 25 mentalists if they were taken away to an island for 5 years to play football amongst themselves.

To give players the best possible chance they need to work on their technical ability from a young age then it is all about coaching, facilities and challenges.

Not sure if its been posted yet but BBC has an interview with Danny Lennon who seems to have lost his marbles.

The most ridiculous take is his suggestion about improving scottish youth coaching:

If Lennon can't convince Boris Johnson to add the reinstatement of national service to the Conservative manifesto, he's got another scheme up his sleeve to deliver a batch of players capable of ending Scotland's heinous decades in the footballing doldrums.

"Give me 20-25 kids, and I would take them away to an island for five years where nobody could get access to them and then bring them back," he says. "Discipline, total football, no outside influence, and work with them daily. I would love somebody to invest in that for three years to see where it could take you"

Bizzare

Danny Lennon just made the list!

The first step in developing Scottish players is to go back to a bigger top division. Guess what; East Fife were better at spotting & developing Fife youth players than, say, us, Aberdeen or Celtic. The same will go for every locality in Scotland. We don't expect Hearts to develop many Ayrshire kids.

Step 2; the youth teams of Scottish pro clubs need play regularly against their English, Welsh & NI counterparts.

Tone it down a bit and he’s probably got a point.

Get them away from scotland, it’s culture, the hammer throwers, the drinking culture and fully immerse them in the right football ideology and you will end up with a pool of better player than those left in scotland

Agreed you can see where he is coming from - the culture in Scotland is not helpful to developing young footballers.

I can see where he is coming from. You can hardly get Scottish kids to turn up for work, what does that tell you about our culture?

Was going to say that I would like to think he has used that as some sort of bizarre analogy but having met him I’m not so sure.
I bumped into him in an alterations place in town and he spoke to me as if I was a long lost pal. He was a really nice guy but I found it quite odd considering I had never spoken to him in the past. Must be a regular occurrence because his wife just gave me a smile that said “I know, I know...”

Get them away from scotland, it’s culture, the hammer throwers, the drinking culture and fully immerse them in the right football ideology and you will end up with a pool of better player than those left in scotland
You may have missed his 5 year plan with the 3 year investment structure.

Seems clear the guy is making a point about the modern lifestyles and come to a conclusion that more focussed work and football education is one of the answers , while conceding it wouldn’t ever actually happen.
Just sounds like a Jim McLean point to me , demanding more . Demanding disciples you could say.

A bit of a weird suggestion, I think he needs to go back to the drawing board. My lad has started with a wee team and the ethos from the coaches is play it short passes and try not to lump it up the park, try to play actual football. Then you get the numpty parents on the side screaming at their kids to do the opposite and to win at all costs at 7 years old.

There's really only one answer.
We need more boys playing more, much more football at an early age.
Easier said than done though.

I can see wher3 he’s coming from. But a bit of a scary scenario.

Another issue is the psychology of what they are hearing in the home. Players are told they are the best thing since sliced bread from the minute they can kick a ball. There’s two scenarios come from this. Either a player builds up no resilience when they come up against better players or the opposite they implode into their own egos. I’ve seen both scenarios with very good youth footballers.

Bizzare
Thats paedo written all over it

I kind of see where he is coming from. My son has been coached with him at Planet Soccer and he is brilliant with the kids. However the majority of coaching is given by parents and although well intentioned I’ve seen some horrific things over the last few years.
You going to offer up your son for this experiment then? :))

Smashing idea if you’re a nonce.

take them away just for football come back fail to make it and they’ve missed five years education.

Bizzare
This the kind of thing the Nazis and the Soviets done FFS

Back