Danny Makkelie

Being a ref myself, he has absolutely strolled this game tonight as much as the teds.

The difference between having a champions league ref in charge rather than a predominantly europa league ref has been very telling.

He’s regarded as one of the top refs in Europe now eh ?

Didn’t he do the EL Final & top Euro matches ?

He’s regarded as one of the top refs in Europe now eh ?

Didn’t he do the EL Final & top Euro matches ?

From his wiki:

He took charge of the final of the 2012 UEFA European Under-19 Football Championship as a UEFA Elite referee.[2] On 18 August 2020, UEFA named 37-years old Makkelie as the referee for the 2020 UEFA Europa League Final between Sevilla and Inter Milan.[3] Previously, he was an additional assistant referee in the 2018 UEFA Europa League Final. He also refereed the semifinal between Brazil's Palmeiras and Mexico's UANL in the 2020 FIFA Club World Cup in Qatar.[4] Makkelie was selected as a referee for the UEFA Euro 2020, where he was in charge of two group stage matches, the R16 clash between England and Germany and the Wembley semi-final between England and Denmark.

Makkelie was criticised for a decision in the Euro 2020 semi-final between England and Denmark.[5][6] He awarded England a contentious penalty in extra time for a foul on Raheem Sterling. Makkelie's decision was backed by Roberto Rosetti, the chairman of the UEFA referees’ committee, who pointed out that the match VAR officials told Makkelie the penalty was "correct".[7

I thought he got it wrong by only warning a few of their players while going straight for a yellow with ours but I'll give him credit for letting the game flow more than I expected of a European ref. There were a few challenges where I thought he would give a foul but he rightly allowed play to continue.

A few bad decisions not to book Sparta players, but I thought he let the game flow and wasn't overly picky.
He controlled the game without being the centre of attention which for me is the mark of a good ref.

Being a ref myself, he has absolutely strolled this game tonight as much as the teds.

The difference between having a champions league ref in charge rather than a predominantly europa league ref has been very telling.
Can't believe some of the responses on here. Ref was very good. He let game flow and was sparing with cards, Borna deserved his and Hagi got his for mouthing off. He didn't get everything right but take off the blue tinted specs and try to be objective. He's in a different league to most of the diddies we have reffing in Scotland.

Can’t believe the OP outed himself as a ref. :))
He’s gonna get tagged in every after match discussion when a dodgy decision gets made.
I used to feel sorry ( not) for On the Line when he tried to defend baffling decisions.
Looking forward to more referee insights from the OP.

Can’t believe the OP outed himself as a ref. :))
He’s gonna get tagged in every after match discussion when a dodgy decision gets made.
I used to feel sorry ( not) for On the Line when he tried to defend baffling decisions.
Looking forward to more referee insights from the OP.
No chance, I'll be incognito.

OTL used to defend the indefensible at times.

Didn't really notice him a lot during the match which i guess in my mind means a good refereeing performance.

No histrionics, just made decisions and got on with it as did both teams.

He warned Wiesner in the first 20 minutes for a pull on Kent, the same boy done Kamara and then kicked out at him afterwards without being booked.

Not at all bitter that him not booking that bastard cost me £300 :D

He has the creepiest 4th official in Europe

Aye, what exactly was yer man all about?

As far as the ref goes, we've had FAR worse. He did let the game flow pretty much and the decisions were good generally but I can't believe Sparta didn't have three or four bookings given we had two.

I wouldn't argue Hagi's booking. Borna's possible.

He can't let the Sparta players away with a few fouls for similar incidents though.

From the first minute or so, he seemed happy to not be fooled by them rolling about after a tussle for the ball. That's always good to see. Nothing worse than a Euro ref blowing his whistle ever time someone breathes on an opponent.

Aye, what exactly was yer man all about?

As far as the ref goes, we've had FAR worse. He did let the game flow pretty much and the decisions were good generally but I can't believe Sparta didn't have three or four bookings given we had two.

I wouldn't argue Hagi's booking. Borna's possible.

He can't let the Sparta players away with a few fouls for similar incidents though.

From the first minute or so, he seemed happy to not be fooled by them rolling about after a tussle for the ball. That's always good to see. Nothing worse than a Euro ref blowing his whistle ever time someone breathes on an opponent.
How can you argue bornas ?? It was a bad one.

He was murder for both sides I thought

How can you argue bornas ?? It was a bad one.

I've only seen it on a quick replay since being at the game but it looked like an accidental coming together where he stood on him. Even though he caught the guy, you've seen them let go before and yer man was making slightly more of it than required.

Certainly, put beside the ones on Kent and Kamara which didn't see cards taken out, I'd argue about it.

Back