Danny Makkelie

If he'd jusr remembered that kicking your opponent is a yellow card offence he'd have been a lot better.

Being a ref myself, he has absolutely strolled this game tonight as much as the teds.

The difference between having a champions league ref in charge rather than a predominantly europa league ref has been very telling.
Wouldn't agree with that. He was decent but far from strolled it. Couple of baffling decisions.

Thought he had a poor game. Guessed at a few and seemed to let them make a lot of iffy fouls with no caution whilst booking our players for next to nothing.

The Barisic booking was ridiculous at the corner flag. An inocuous tap on the ankle at worst. Guy goes down making a total meal of it. Compare and contrast to several of their fouls especially when we were breaking away which were cynical. That kind of thing does your head in.

Mixed bag for me, made some good calls and some pretty strange ones.

Thought they conned him a few times too with their theatrical tumbling.

Inconsistency in booking players also.

He was absolute garbage throughout. Fell for their play acting virtually every time and let them foul us with impunity. Hope he's a better cop than he is a ref.

One of their players kicked Kamara after he went down and he didnt even book him but aye brilliant, back to ref school for you.
Same guy that booted Kent in the first half which was a clear yellow card. Shirt pull by 37 on Alfredo as well which he let go unpunished but other than that he was fine.

The left back pulled Morelos’ jersey to stop him getting on the ball. A clear yellow every day of the week. Yet like the bolingoli one by Clancy he strangely let it go.

I thought he was actually decent but forgot he was allowed to book their players too.

Got to say I thought ref was good tonight and let the game flow which is good to see.
Imagine Clancy Beaton etc tonight they love the sound of their own whistle

The Barisic booking was ridiculous at the corner flag. An inocuous tap on the ankle at worst. Guy goes down making a total meal of it. Compare and contrast to several of their fouls especially when we were breaking away which were cynical. That kind of thing does your head in.
Bornas booking was totally justified on the replays. Don't kid yourself.

Being a ref myself, he has absolutely strolled this game tonight as much as the teds.

The difference between having a champions league ref in charge rather than a predominantly europa league ref has been very telling.
I liked the way he let the game flow.

I didn’t like the way he let them away with bookings, or the way he let one of their players stay on the pitch after getting treatment, while they had a dangerous set piece.

I’m not sure I completely agree.

How Sparta got away with zero yellow cards I’d absolutely beyond me.

He was okay in general play, but I’ve been really disappointed with the standard at this level. Seen some of the worst refereeing performances in years during the last few Europa campaigns.

I’m not sure I completely agree.

How Sparta got away with zero yellow cards I’d absolutely beyond me.

He was okay in general play, but I’ve been really disappointed with the standard at this level. Seen some of the worst refereeing performances in years during the last few Europa campaigns.
They got one

It is only a yellow for pulling a shirt if it prevents a promising attack. Some of the ones committed against us were certainly that. Especially Kent on the halfway line.

I actually thought he was really good until the point of booking players if that can even make sense :D - let a good few of them off without yellows

I dont disagree with some of the inconsistency comments because it's hard to get everything right but some posters must just think every referee is shite without being able to separate the good from the bad.

Compare and contrast is my only point with last nights ref opposed to any of our own or e.g. the Bulgarian Kabakov, an Europa League ref, when we played Antwerp last season.

Agree thought he was very good

You need to watch it again. I thought similar to you but replays show Borna stood on the guys ankle/instep. The booking was justified.

The left back pulled Morelos’ jersey to stop him getting on the ball. A clear yellow every day of the week. Yet like the bolingoli one by Clancy he strangely let it go.

I thought he was actually decent but forgot he was allowed to book their players too.

Yes, that was totally a professional foul Coza. Annoyed me.

Back