Darvel Juniors

I work with a boy that plays for them, they're dishing out all sorts of cash.

The pie and bovril thread on them has been quite a laugh. Fair play to them for giving it a go but money doesn't guarantee you anything and at that level Talbot will still be the team to beat.
Money at that level does matter Kilwinning Rangers bought success in past as did Hurlford more recently it all falls apart when the sponsor pulls out thats why Talbot will always be the team to beat they have built a sustainable model over a long period

My big mate's a member and plays golf at Mar Hall and he canny get to use the practice area as Darvel have been using it since training was allowed back. He's fkn ragin. Pays over a grand a year and canny practice on a golf practice area cos there's a bunch of juniors kicking a baw all over it :))

Money at that level does matter Kilwinning Rangers bought success in past as did Hurlford more recently it all falls apart when the sponsor pulls out thats why Talbot will always be the team to beat they have built a sustainable model over a long period

That was the case in the past. However with the pyramid system in place, if the sponsor stays in place long enough for them to get to say league 1 or 2 the way Cove Rangers have done then they can become self sustainable at that level.

Yeah I know its happened in the past with teams like Hurlford. It will be interesting to see how Darvel do next season against the bigger junior clubs in the new pyramid structure. I know they already have some good players from Colville that could easily play at a higher level than they do.

Irvine Meadow had money thrown at them about 12 years ago. Not sure what happened or why it dried up.
it ended in tears like it usually does with these sugar daddys,mob that were pumping money into medda went bust,same thing happened to buffs,Hurlford have had a shot at it as well although not bust yet.

My big mate's a member and plays golf at Mar Hall and he canny get to use the practice area as Darvel have been using it since training was allowed back. He's fkn ragin. Pays over a grand a year and canny practice on a golf practice area cos there's a bunch of juniors kicking a baw all over it :))

I played in a youth tournament many years ago in Grangemouth. A few teams from Europe attended. We were lined up to play a Dutch team, and in the changing room heard their coach telling ours that the warm up facilities were fantastic and a match hit anything in Holland.

our coach took a quick stroll out to find the Dutch warning up on the bowling green.

As others have said here, if they want to try and match Talbot first then that should be their challenge not talking about climbing the senior leagues. The owner or sponsors will find out very quickly they can’t afford it.

I used to play for them. My boy's club used to play our matches there too. Spent my formative football years there as such but it certainly looks different now.

I worked with one of their players, he was playing amateur the season before last which was a level way below his abilities.

With how Colville were in the amateurs, there will be a lot a people sceptical if everything is getting recorded in the accounts.

This new set-up should be interesting as giving clubs a chance of some mobility.

Training at that level is not permitted yet. I'll pass this post on to the SFA and have them investigate it.

Cheers

I actually fancy them to topple Talbot and win it this season. The squad they are building is outrageous for that level.

You not backing John Black’s Drum team this year? They have taken best Amateur playing from the area and added an ex Pro to the ranks.

You not backing John Black’s Drum team this year? They have taken best Amateur playing from the area and added an ex Pro to the ranks.

Theres a massive leap from the level that Drumchapel side were playing at to the top end of what used to be the juniors mate. Mind drumchapel aren't in the top league either but in the conferences below which will be very tough. I can't see them winning their conference.

Drumchapel are in Conference C. Different league from Darvel.

Drumchapel will do well. Top 3 for certain in their league.

Will be great for the community if it takes off.

Jeezo, The Wylieboy has made it into the national press. We’ll never hear the end of it down here!

They have done fantastic things down here. Went to a few of the matches last season and it's clear they have a plan.

Money brought success and issues to Hurlford.

Darvel are doing good things with the kids teams as well so I wish them all the best.

Theres a massive leap from the level that Drumchapel side were playing at to the top end of what used to be the juniors mate. Mind drumchapel aren't in the top league either but in the conferences below which will be very tough. I can't see them winning their conference.

Disagree Re massive leap. The top amateur sides Eastfield Bannockburn Harestanes Thorn Oban EKYM would be more than a match for Junior sides in that Division. Drum will hold there own under John Black Adam Hope and his team. Years ago there was a big gap. Not now. But it’s all about opinions. End of season results will prove who’s right.

Who have they signed from the Ams? I heard they took a few boys from St Pats who are right good players. Kenny M from Darvel too.

Disagree Re massive leap. The top amateur sides Eastfield Bannockburn Harestanes Thorn Oban EKYM would be more than a match for Junior sides in that Division. Drum will hold there own under John Black Adam Hope and his team. Years ago there was a big gap. Not now. But it’s all about opinions. End of season results will prove who’s right.

You are correct mate but I don't see Drum as one of those top amateur sides. Very very good no doubt but not one of the top ones. They will do absolutely fine at that level but my response was in terms of competing with the top end teams. Miles off that imo.

as has been proved it’s not sustainable at this level , look at Gretna aswell the new league might make a difference but I don’t think it will be the panacea they seek or the pot of gold going senior I mean look at the state of the senior game in Scotland ( maybe st Cadocs will be
looked after)

You are correct mate but I don't see Drum as one of those top amateur sides. Very very good no doubt but not one of the top ones. They will do absolutely fine at that level but my response was in terms of competing with the top end teams. Miles off that imo.

I agree re the top teams Re Drum. But John Black will have they pumped up for one off games v the top sides. Darian McKinnon Ex Hamilton Partick Thistle the Drum’s big signing.

Darvel have on paper recruited very good. Lots of Senior experience. Mick Kennedy at the helm is a winner and so is Big McDevitt on the field. Their division will definitely interest the fans with no game on a Saturday afternoon. Big crowds for the fan with a spare Saturday.

Looking forward to getting down to a few of Darvels games this year - Used to follow Colville park when Mick was manager there aswell - he has done a good job of taking some of the better Am Players down there with him Darren Millar / McDevitt etc

Back