Darvel looking for a GM, 25k per year.

Ayrforce1

Job description ranges from cutting grass, painting and entertaining sponsors...
But a club at that level paying 25k for a non playing member of staff is surely bonkers?
The money is hellish but even at that the Baker is splashing some cash.

Surely this isn't normal behaviour?
They’re making a mockery of our league with the cash they have and are splashing around. Get them to feck and have a more level playing field between the rest of the clubs.

They signed a decent enough player from the drabs last night. No idea why as they have a huge squad and he will be lucky to feature much. Not as if the drabs will challenge for the league so no idea why they’ve bought the guy. Just because they can in all probability.

25k a year is mental. Is it maybe a council job through the club?

There is some funny money down in the lower league's. I heard years ago Danny Lennon was on big bucks at Clyde and David Goodwillie was supposedly on £1,100 a week there as well.

I don’t know what any of this means. What is GM, what is Darvel and who or what is Baker? :oops:
Sorry, Darvel, Small village in Ayrshire who have a lower tier football club owned by a baker, been done to death on here so apologies for assuming.
GM - General Manager.

There is some funny money down in the lower league's. I heard years ago Danny Lennon was on big bucks at Clyde and David Goodwillie was supposedly on £1,100 a week there as well.
It looked like a direct hire to the club reporting to the board. No mention of Local Authority. Crazy stuff.

They’re making a mockery of our league with the cash they have and are splashing around. Get them to feck and have a more level playing field between the rest of the clubs.

They signed a decent enough player from the drabs last night. No idea why as they have a huge squad and he will be lucky to feature much. Not as if the drabs will challenge for the league so no idea why they’ve bought the guy. Just because they can in all probability.
Mick Kennedy said a few weeks ago they only have a squad of 20....... They have also swallowed up Galston BC, made the 17's step up to the 20's league and boys who have been there for 14 years moving on as they are getting pumped off boys 3 years older. Total shambles now and will run a well respected BC in to the ground.

I know of a couple of players and staff who are getting paid more in the Lowland League (and lower) than they were in the Scottish Championship/league 1 or whatever.

I always wonder how long these sides can keep splashing before they hit the wall though.

Last edited:
Job description ranges from cutting grass, painting and entertaining sponsors...
But a club at that level paying 25k for a non playing member of staff is surely bonkers?
The money is hellish but even at that the Baker is splashing some cash.
Where are you seeing the ad for this mate?

Darvel are my nearest junior team so I’ll not hear a bad word said about them :D

Genuinely though, not being familiar with the juniors that much, how else do they get run on a day to day basis given income, organisation etc other than paying a GM type figure?

Goodwill and volunteering mainly?

John Gall (Brownings), QTS (Alan McLeish), Black Rooster (Mick Kennedy) and there are other companies throwing money in.

Darvel are my nearest junior team so I’ll not hear a bad word said about them :D

Genuinely though, not being familiar with the juniors that much, how else do they get run on a day to day basis given income, organisation etc other than paying a GM type figure?

Only a few years ago it was Neil McPherson who done almost everything at the ground where was all the local goodwill when Neil had to do it himself with crowds of nothing

Last edited:

Is it any different to our league? Nobody outside Rangers or Celtic have won it for nearly 40 years.

Last edited:

Committees mate, retired guys keeping the pitch and painting and so on, to be fair I get what they are doing but how do the afford to make it a full time position at that level and it's a poor salary for that job list.

What kind of crowds do they get ?

Same question for Talbot , pollock , Kilwinning , etc ?
All crowds have went down even in the Scottish Cup ie Medda v Pollok in the SC about 12 years ago 2.3k and 2.4 at the replay I would be guessing but we would be lucky to get 1.2 k for the same games now

I know of a couple of players and staff who are getting paid more in the Lowland League (and lower) than they were in the Scottish Championship/league 1 or whatever.

I always wonder how long these sides can keep splashing before they hit the wall though.

What teams are paying the most in the lowland league this year?

I assume East Kilbride are one.

They're is absolutely nothing sustainable about that club. They don't and propably never will have the fan base to keep them going if the owner pulls out.
They had no support at all apart from 4 committee men and Neil McPherson before the cash and around a dozen supporters. They are getting crowds now but if the money went so will the crowds imo

They had no support at all apart from 4 committee men and Neil McPherson before the cash and around a dozen supporters. They are getting crowds now but if the money went so will the crowds imo
Yeah, novelty factor. I have no ill feeling towards them and have even went along to a few games, as I have done Talbot or Cumnock over the years.

Back