Darvel looking for a GM, 25k per year.

Its bad for football. I'm all for clubs showing ambition and building up through good management. Look at the likes of Pollok - a really well run club with realistic ambitions of progress to the senior ranks and who have invested in infrastructure a Newlandsfield (floodlights, toilets) in a sustainable way. But its far too easy for somebody to throw money at a club in the non-league set-up, take them to a point beyond where their normal fanbase and sponsorship base would take them and then lose interest. Its not good for the club who have spent money they can't afford and it's not good for everybody else trying to do things in the right way.

What’s the realistic aim for Darvel? SFL?

Surely the people funding it just now aren’t going to keep flinging £ at it for 10/15/20 years? Got Gretna written all over it

They're is absolutely nothing sustainable about that club. They don't and propably never will have the fan base to keep them going if the owner pulls out.

Sounds a bit like Gretna. Made it to the SPL and to a Scottish Cup Final whilst Brooks Mileson owned them and was ploughing in his money. Once that money was no longer available they went bust.

Sounds a bit like Gretna. Made it to the SPL and to a Scottish Cup Final whilst Brooks Mileson owned them and was ploughing in his money. Once that money was no longer available they went bust.
Darvel is not a one man operation Brownings QTS and Black Rooster plus other companies put money in.

Darvel is not a one man operation Brownings QTS and Black Rooster plus other companies put money in.
If John Gall gets fed up then rest will follow I would reckon. He does seem to buzz of Darvel at the moment but once a standard League Two team or can't get out Lowland League then can see them getting bored. West of Scotland Premier League will be far more competitive once they are finally promoted if their team doesn't go on another stag do this May / June.

Job description ranges from cutting grass, painting and entertaining sponsors...
But a club at that level paying 25k for a non playing member of staff is surely bonkers?
The money is hellish but even at that the Baker is splashing some cash.
Going for an upper crust appointment then.

I don't think having 3 folk putting money in is actually a great thing tbh. Almost guaranteed to be differences of opinions and different objectives which will eventually lead to problems. It's a recipe for disaster.

I understand Gall flinging a bit of money at it after his Killie fallout but then again not sure why he chose Darvel as he is a Galston man I believe.

QTS - not sure if McLeish is a Rangers man but his boy certainly is and they have pumped a bit of money into Rangers recently.

Seems like a bit of a vanity project and not sure how it will work long term.

They’ll probably still get turned over at the end of the season by the Champions of the EoSFL like they did with Tranent last year.

No teams in the West that anyone competing for the EoSFL should be particularly worried about.

I don't think having 3 folk putting money in is actually a great thing tbh. Almost guaranteed to be differences of opinions and different objectives which will eventually lead to problems. It's a recipe for disaster.

I understand Gall flinging a bit of money at it after his Killie fallout but then again not sure why he chose Darvel as he is a Galston man I believe.

QTS - not sure if McLeish is a Rangers man but his boy certainly is and they have pumped a bit of money into Rangers recently.

Seems like a bit of a vanity project and not sure how it will work long term.
McLeish is a huge rangers man and would invest even more than the £1 million he has already done. I’m sure the sfa rules prevent him from doing too much as his ex wife is a director at killie.

They’ll probably still get turned over at the end of the season by the Champions of the EoSFL like they did with Tranent last year.

No teams in the West that anyone competing for the EoSFL should be particularly worried about.

Tranent Ultras were comical that day.

Average age of 11.

Swearing only allowed in songs but not at half time by their maws and dads :D

They signed a decent enough player from the drabs last night. No idea why as they have a huge squad and he will be lucky to feature much. Not as if the drabs will challenge for the league so no idea why they’ve bought the guy. Just because they can in all probability.

Anyone that plays well against them they just go out and sign.

The manager & co seem to think they're really the dugs baws when reality is his players are a shower of self obsessed money grabbing jumped up wannabes with an arrogance filtered down from their owner who will run off when the money pots run dry.

I watched them at Blantyre last year & the management team was possibly the biggest I've ever witnessed in football with a guy even being designated water trolley pulling assistant!

They wonder why people can't be arsed with them with the truth being they're a tiny club from Ayrshire with hardly any fans & just buying their way to a title.

Successful and historic Ayrshire clubs like Talbot, Cumnock & Meada etc have something Darvel never will have and that's a nucleus of proper football fans.

Ultimately their model is not sustainable as they will never generate enough revenue to break even. So when the money man gives up unless they find another one best case is they crash back down the leagues to bottom tier junior, worst case they fold
If I was one of their dozen or so fans it would be a case of enjoy the ride but don't be arrogant about as humbling times are ahead

Played against his side when he ran colville, they seemed to think they were like an amateur Barcelona, they beat us 2 1 cause they thought they just had to turn up but they got a scare and a half.

We were in the central 1st division whilst they were running away with the premier.

I know boys from the drum who went there and aye it was for money, when drum United were at their best they were about the best in Scotland, then colville started to take players from them and junior level, obviously the guys at junior level hated getting paid and missed paying a tenner a week and handed in sweeps and football cards so went there

Played against his side when he ran colville, they seemed to think they were like an amateur Barcelona, they beat us 2 1 cause they thought they just had to turn up but they got a scare and a half.

We were in the central 1st division whilst they were running away with the premier.

I know boys from the drum who went there and aye it was for money, when drum United were at their best they were about the best in Scotland, then colville started to take players from them and junior level, obviously the guys at junior level hated getting paid and missed paying a tenner a week and handed in sweeps and football cards so went there

Who did you play for mate?

I used to watch Colville a lot (I stay 2 mins from where the player @ Dalziel) - Mick built a good team there with guys like Miller / truesdale / Megett / Skelf / Mulvay and Ferguson all being examples - obviously they were getting something for there trouble as the picked up the best players from most Am teams and players who could and have played junior level without any issue.

My old man follows the juniors (Blantyre / Larkhall mainly but has been down to see Darvel a few times and reckons sooner they are promoted out the better.

It's a totally unrealistic job spec for any money never mind that pittance.
Ok mate we get the point of the thread you're on a good wage and feel superior to a massive percent of folk on here. Good for you.

Who did you play for mate?

I used to watch Colville a lot (I stay 2 mins from where the player @ Dalziel) - Mick built a good team there with guys like Miller / truesdale / Megett / Skelf / Mulvay and Ferguson all being examples - obviously they were getting something for there trouble as the picked up the best players from most Am teams and players who could and have played junior level without any issue.

My old man follows the juniors (Blantyre / Larkhall mainly but has been down to see Darvel a few times and reckons sooner they are promoted out the better.
Played with the drum mate before getting older and slower and going to steadfast

Ok mate we get the point of the thread you're on a good wage and feel superior to a massive percent of folk on here. Good for you.
So far off mark, but that job description warrants more than 25k. It's about 3 jobs in one.
The point of the thread is that junior clubs can pay 25k to non playing staff.

Back