Dave Cormack calls for SFA and SPFL shake-up

jaws73

Official Ticketer
Looks like Park has an ally in Cormack regarding SPFL Governance (not an accident we mentioned him by name in a Statement recently)

Aberdeen chief insists Scottish football should be ruled by one body
The Pittodrie chairman wants to see major change in our game's governance.

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack believes professional football in Scotland should be ruled by one central governing body.

Speaking on the Are You Not Entertained? podcast, he insists there's no need for both the SFA and SPFL and fears the national game will struggle to move forward without a major shake-up on how it is run.

Aberdeen voted for an independent investigation into the SPFL following the controversial vote to end the lower league season, and their chair predicts that such an inquiry would recommend a more centralised approach.

Cormack feels he's been labelled a "trouble maker" for his outspoken stance on the game's future.

He wants to a see a "professional, full-time board" working on how best to progress the game's interest as football faces up to immeasurable change in a landscape shaped by the coronavirus pandemic.

Asked if the Dons' decision to vote for an inquiry was fuelled by a desire for change at the top, Cormack said: "Right at the beginning when this came out, me, Stewart Milne, all of our board, it was about the time given and the pressure to make a decision without having a bunch of information.

"But, the reality is, if you were to throw this up in the air, you bring in a Deloitte or some consultants and say: 'We'll all sign up for you to come up with a plan that's the best thing for Scottish football'.

"I don't think you'd have an SFA and an SPFL for a country the size we are.

"To have good, second division clubs with a few hundred fans versus tens of thousands of fans, it's so difficult, it's impossible to get agreement.

"The reality is, if we had one centre, whatever you want to call it - the SFA - why wouldn't we have a full-time, professional board that looks after the full-time game and the needs of that versus the part-time versus amateur?

"Football will continue to flourish in Scotland, all these teams will be there. But, again, you welcome investment.

"Like Cove Rangers that have built a stadium, brought the investment in and come all the way through, we should be encouraging that.

"The reality is, for me, that if we really want to do well as Scottish football then the way we govern ourselves, it just has to be changed."

Cormack stated that his focus remains on his own club rather than all the infighting.

He continued: "You've got 20, 30, 40 people running around calling clubs, lobbying clubs. For me, we'll say our bit, we'll be straight about it but I'm not hopeful, personally, that there'll be any change in governance in Scottish football.

"So, what we'll do at Aberdeen is continue to share best practices with people that want to talk together, like Alan (Burrows) and myself, on marketing.

"We'll do our bit in our community, to try and drive and increment our season ticket base.

"But for me, most importantly, in Aberdeen, it's about putting a smile on the face of the city.

"I grew up in a slum - no running water, all the toilets outside. For me and my wife it's about trying to give something back to the city, not just with the club but some of the charities we support.

"We'll focus on Aberdeen and let everybody else knock themselves out, which seems to be the way it wants to go.

"I'll maybe be less labelled as a so-called troublemaker for saying my piece and we'll get on with some clubs in Europe - and maybe some in Scotland - to try and fight for a place of relevance when cross-border leagues come into play."

He is talking sense. I don't often agree with them but it makes sense to have one body in charge with a full time independent board not basically someone who will look after their own clubs interests.

We have Budge now looking at league reconstruction. Yeah that's how it works, the relegated club comes up with a solution to save themselves.

Our game is a joke.

Always did raise eyebrows. Such a shady governance and there’s absolutely no reason for it to even exist. It’s tinpot stuff.

It was solely formed to keep a tv deal sweet when we got booted down the leagues.

We are the only show in town and always have been.

Wouldn't disagree with his thoughts.

One governing football organisation with professional, impartial people who are not currently working in the SFA or SPFL boards.

That's the goal.

'Best in Class' is what is required (John Bennett).

Hopefully the Status Quo is going to hold for much longer.

ehh wait a minute wasnt the spfl formed as a break away from the the SFA?

No. It broke away from the Scottish Football League which meant we had 3 running senior football. Back down to two again when the SPL 'merged' with the Scottish Football League to form the SPFL.

The reason for that was the top flight wanting access to the money Rangers brought into the football league when we went to Division 3. A consequence of this raping of the blue pound by the SPL is that very merger now means that the tail has this crazy ability to wag the dog.

This is no way to run any business, sporting or otherwise.

So, in a nutshell, he's basically crying out about the need for change, but someone else has to drive it and take the flak.
Thanks for your input Dave, now %^*& off back under your rock you useless prick.

No. It broke away from the Scottish Football League which meant we had 3 running senior football. Back down to two again when the SPFL 'merged' with the Scottish Football League.
Historically why did the Scottish league get formed outside of sfa mate any idea ?

I do know bob crampsey done a Definitive book on the league I may be able to look it up there

So, in a nutshell, he's basically crying out about the need for change, but someone else has to drive it and take the flak.
Thanks for your input Dave, now %^*& off back under your rock you useless prick.
Rangers will do it

Historically why did the Scottish league get formed outside of sfa mate any idea ?

I do know bob crampsey done a Definitive book on the league I may be able to look it up there

The SFA was founded in 1873
The SFL was founded in 1890

Trying to be relevant during lockdown.

Exactly, and failing spectacularly.
Came out bumping his gums about all that was wrong and what was needing done then conceded he was going back to the sheep pen to do the square root of diddley-squat to fix it.

Collectively these boards and CEOs and other employees must cost our game a few million a year easy reworking it you could get the best of class in and still save on wages.

He was making a lot of sense then he praises that clown Burrows and finishes by effectively saying they are going to do nothing to help improve the situation but, instead, are going to look after No 1 just like everyone else.

Exactly the attitude that has us (Scottish football us) exactly where we are today with one club calling the shots. Stand up, make a bit of noise, get nowhere, then sit back down and do your own thing ignoring the corruption that is ultimately holding you back.

Bit OTT , he’s not in the Cabal and risked the wrath of his own supporters by siding with us.
He doesn’t deserve abuse!

Looks like Park has an ally in Cormack regarding SPFL Governance (not an accident we mentioned him by name in a Statement recently)

Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack believes professional football in Scotland should be ruled by one central governing body.

Speaking on the Are You Not Entertained? podcast, he insists there's no need for both the SFA and SPFL and fears the national game will struggle to move forward without a major shake-up on how it is run.

Aberdeen voted for an independent investigation into the SPFL following the controversial vote to end the lower league season, and their chair predicts that such an inquiry would recommend a more centralised approach.

Cormack feels he's been labelled a "trouble maker" for his outspoken stance on the game's future.

He wants to a see a "professional, full-time board" working on how best to progress the game's interest as football faces up to immeasurable change in a landscape shaped by the coronavirus pandemic.

Asked if the Dons' decision to vote for an inquiry was fuelled by a desire for change at the top, Cormack said: "Right at the beginning when this came out, me, Stewart Milne, all of our board, it was about the time given and the pressure to make a decision without having a bunch of information.

"But, the reality is, if you were to throw this up in the air, you bring in a Deloitte or some consultants and say: 'We'll all sign up for you to come up with a plan that's the best thing for Scottish football'.

"To have good, second division clubs with a few hundred fans versus tens of thousands of fans, it's so difficult, it's impossible to get agreement.

"The reality is, if we had one centre, whatever you want to call it - the SFA - why wouldn't we have a full-time, professional board that looks after the full-time game and the needs of that versus the part-time versus amateur?

"Football will continue to flourish in Scotland, all these teams will be there. But, again, you welcome investment.

"Like Cove Rangers that have built a stadium, brought the investment in and come all the way through, we should be encouraging that.

"The reality is, for me, that if we really want to do well as Scottish football then the way we govern ourselves, it just has to be changed."

Cormack stated that his focus remains on his own club rather than all the infighting.

He continued: "You've got 20, 30, 40 people running around calling clubs, lobbying clubs. For me, we'll say our bit, we'll be straight about it but I'm not hopeful, personally, that there'll be any change in governance in Scottish football.

"So, what we'll do at Aberdeen is continue to share best practices with people that want to talk together, like Alan (Burrows) and myself, on marketing.

"We'll do our bit in our community, to try and drive and increment our season ticket base.

"But for me, most importantly, in Aberdeen, it's about putting a smile on the face of the city.

"I grew up in a slum - no running water, all the toilets outside. For me and my wife it's about trying to give something back to the city, not just with the club but some of the charities we support.

"We'll focus on Aberdeen and let everybody else knock themselves out, which seems to be the way it wants to go.

"I'll maybe be less labelled as a so-called troublemaker for saying my piece and we'll get on with some clubs in Europe - and maybe some in Scotland - to try and fight for a place of relevance when cross-border leagues come into play."
HNyAVBE.gif

must have been right next door to Pittodrie

The only thing about one ruling body, we might, just might have a foothold in one or the other. One only ruler and at present we haven’t a hope of unseating the Scum!

He is right. How can Scottish football, pay Maxwell 400k and Doncaster the same plays what the rest are on. They are bleeding the game dry.

In other words just let the SPL takeover and destroy the SFA just like they did with the SFL.

The SFA are pretty woeful but letting the likes of Doncaster and his cronies take over things like disciplinary proceedings would only benefit one club.

If anything the SFA should take over the league system and the SPFL should be binned it's been the worst thing to ever happen to Scottish football.

Bit OTT , he’s not in the Cabal and risked the wrath of his own supporters by siding with us.
He doesn’t deserve abuse!

Sorry, but I've had it with these guys who say something/everything is needing fixed then basically say they're just going to sit back and stick to looking after their own lot.
You admire him if you like but I think he's full of wind and pish - until such times as he proves he isn't.

That's harsh.

We are in a position where we are building support among clubs for a change in governance amongst Scottish clubs. Our EGM was a start point for that (we knew we weren't achieving our aims in Round 1).

Is Cormack publicly stating that the Governance in the Scottish game isn't cutting the mustard a help or a hindrance to us and others unhappy with it? Considering McLennan and Doncaster well calling for unity and moving on a statement like this is more of a help I think in what was never going to be a short game.

Seems to be saying that if other clubs aren't interested in the common good of the game then he'd just have to look after their own self-interests but does imply that the governance of the game has to change to stop all the infighting.

Better that Cormack has said what he has than not at all.

Last edited:
As much as this guy ends this on a slightly damp note, I reckon this is someone we can work with.

We are Scotland's biggest supported club - I reckon Aberdeen are number 3 and Hearts are number 4 or vice versa.

Other club can be convinced.

There is a clear imbalance of self serving poetgery which needs ripped out of Scottish football.

That's harsh.

We are in a position where we are building support among clubs for a change in governance amongst Scottish clubs. Our EGM was a start point for that (we knew we weren't achieving our aims in Round 1).

Is Cormack publicly stating that the Governance in the Scottish game isn't cutting the mustard a help or a hindrance to us and others unhappy with it? Considering McLennan and Doncaster well calling for unity and moving on as statement like this is more of a help I think in what was never going to be a short game.

Seems to be saying that if other clubs aren't interested in the common good of the game then he'd just have to look after their own self-interests but does imply that the governance of the game has to change to stop all the infighting.

Better that Cormack has said what he has than not at all.

I get what you are saying but this guy has pretensions of his club being a big club - competing with Hertz for title of Scotland's 3rd biggest club (big wow!) and comes out saying this and that needs fixed.
But what's he doing to fix it?
Who does he think is going to fix it?
Sorry, but I've had it with them all, self-serving diddies.

This guy is fast becoming a parody.

Quoted as saying there needs to be reform and change and just as quickly say's he'll continue to do what he has been doing - working with a fan rep made CEO from Motherwell.

Disagree with him. You have to separate the running of the game from the commercial organisation that is the league

He is talking sense. I don't often agree with them but it makes sense to have one body in charge with a full time independent board not basically someone who will look after their own clubs interests.

We have Budge now looking at league reconstruction. Yeah that's how it works, the relegated club comes up with a solution to save themselves.

Our game is a joke.

Cormack is bang on the money.
To think 7 or 8 years ago, we have 3 governing bodies.
The SFA only need to appoint a deputy chief executive (but not DonkeyCaster) to oversee the Leagues in my humble opinion

I get what you are saying but this guy has pretensions of his club being a big club - competing with Hertz for title of Scotland's 3rd biggest club (big wow!) and comes out saying this and that needs fixed.
But what's he doing to fix it?
Who does he think is going to fix it?
Sorry, but I've had it with them all, self-serving diddies.

He can't do it alone and neither can we. It's something we are going to have to build support for or not bother with it at all. The latter just isn't an option.

The SPFL and SFA have plenty of scope for making many missteps during the next few weeks and months. We may be able to take advantage if we have some support but we have no chance if we dismiss other clubs who have concerns.

It's not easy to be patient given what has gone before but it is what is required.

He can't do it alone and neither can we. It's something we are going to have to build support for or not bother with it at all. The latter just isn't an option.

The SPFL and SFA have plenty of scope for making many missteps during the next few weeks and months. We may be able to take advantage if we have some support but we have no chance if we dismiss other clubs who have concerns.

It's not easy to be patient given what has gone before but it is what is required.

You're right, it's not easy being patient but how many weeks it is since the debacle of the Dundee vote change, and where are we now?
If anything we are in an even worse position now.
How many statements have we to endure from no marks?
If these people cannot see by now that the system is corrupt as Hell then they will never see it.
Instead of wasting time spouting hot air in public to try to make it look like they have sort of relevance in crucial matters they should be on the blower to Rangers asking what they can do to help end this shitfest.
To my mind if they do nothing to end it then they are very much part of the problem.

He’s absolutely spot on.

Just like the Scottish government and the U.K. government, having two bodies is confusing and allows them to avoid any major scrutiny. Quite simply there is no need for boards made up of clubs and certainly not to levels.

A Professional game board is absolutely the way forward.

Strachan's right as well, we’ve far too many teams, you can’t call yourself a full time club when you’re paying 80 quid a week. There are 22 semi professional teams in Scotland’s Professional League setup and worse still almost. Quarter are represented on governing boards.

No the
ehh wait a minute wasnt the spfl formed as a break away from the the SFA?
Scottish Football League

That was then conveniently merged back into the SPL (SPFL) so they could get their mitts on our TV Money - Oink Oink the pigs are always at the trough.

One body sounds right, but if you have ever been close up to the blazers in the SFA, they are a shower too

Wouldn't disagree with his thoughts.

One governing football organisation with professional, impartial people who are not currently working in the SFA or SPFL boards.

That's the goal.

Spot on. Makes sense to me. Two governing bodies is simply overkill in Scotland.

He was making a lot of sense then he praises that clown Burrows and finishes by effectively saying they are going to do nothing to help improve the situation but, instead, are going to look after No 1 just like everyone else.

Exactly the attitude that has us (Scottish football us) exactly where we are today with one club calling the shots. Stand up, make a bit of noise, get nowhere, then sit back down and do your own thing ignoring the corruption that is ultimately holding you back.

He also appears to be a bit peeved that he’s been labelled a troublemaker...of course he is in the Fat Japanese’s eyes. Challenging the filth who run the show virtually guarantees you’ll be in the firing line of Peter’s attack poodles...Scott Gardiner at Inverness has already had a taste of what’s on offer if you open your mouth and they might not be finished with him just yet? anyone who’s prepared to speak out against these corrupt b@stards is going to get it that’s for sure!

Maybe the bold Dave is having second thoughts about exactly WHO he risks upsetting? He’s probably thinking if he just pipes down now it might still be okay for him...after all he knows Aberdoom aren’t the club in direct opposition to the pollution that run it all, he knows his place and is content as long as they get their fair share of the money and accepts his club aren’t regarded as a serious threat to Celtic and thus unlikely to get screwed in a governance sense the way they are regularly screwed by the rhats on the pitch. We’re the ones who are going to suffer the most if these people are not removed..this is between US and THEM...the rest are doing jack shyt full stop!

Back