Dave King | Douglas Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.
Absolute nonsense that you say nothing of note since Park took over. He gave Gerrard his full support for 55 being delivered and has since been integral in bringing in GVB last season leading to a Europa league final and a Scottish Cup win, but nothing of note right enough

I am only interested in who can do a job for us whether it be investing or running it correctly.
Likely we are looking for someone that puts £17 million in and doesnt want shares or interest on the loan.
More shares means dilution for Club1872.
You are not quite right in the head and you definitely have no idea how investment in a football club works. We have seen many millions invested as loans to equity which is the legal way to provide funding. We can only achieve this by new share issues being voted on by all shareholders which has been happening at the AGMs. So this then dilutes others shares but ut allows us to bring the money in to help run the club. There comes a time when that needs to stop so selling big assets must happen soon.

Now you said we need someone who just puts money in and wants nothing in return. So that rules out your preferred guy Dave King. His last involvement was a £5m loan which had interest attached. He stated the South African system meant he needed to do this. I disagree. If he cannot do what he likes with his own money they is it really his own money. This loan meant after he left we had to find more money to pay him back so our investors had to cough up again.

And as to whether Club1872 gets diluted then so be it. We need investment and if its through new shares if they cannot match then they will gradually disappear as its obvious they don't have the support or financial backing to stay relevant.

You are obviously involved in Club1872 and seem to be championing them and King. Why don't you buy his shares and then you can become relevant

I remember the Summer we invested in Boli and Laudrup before the qualifiers. Still got humped by AEK Athens. Guarantees nothing. Would have been a gamble with money we didn’t have.
I do as well but we were investing all the time then and never doing anything in Europe.
We have consistently done well in Europe since Gerrard came In.
A couple of decent signings would have made all the difference.

Douglas Park has put in millions to the Club as Dave King has already confirmed.We had a 23million loss last season plus there are UEFA rules about spending compared to turnover/profitability.These are the reasons for lack of spending and nothing to do with you're comment.
Us as fans put millions in to the club every season as well.
Park will not spend a penny he doesn’t need to.

For how long to we keep saying thanks? To me you can thank them for their efforts and what they did but now want us to move on. The teams that spend most normally win right now our rivals are outspending us. Who would replace them? I've no idea but the notion that it's Park & Co or Ashley and the Easdales is not a reasonable view IMO. The time to spend was immediately after the #55 success. Now we are back on catch up IMO.
So what do you actually want to happen? Where is the money to invest coming from? Where are these mythical people that want to pick up from Park and invest in our club? I don’t see them.

Most fans I know want us to be run in a sustainable way. Very important that we are. Current board gets a lot of unfair stick. Usually from people who don’t stop and think.

Our board are a shambles.

Transfer-wise a total joke, 150th year celebrations a total joke.

Embarrassing.

I would have King over the current lot every day of the week.

Right this went about as well as expected. Feel free to chop it admin.

Nothing of note was meant in terms of off field activity but I get that was a poor choice of words.

What is it with this patter?

Given our recent history I find it strange that anyone involved in the running of our club would face criticism for potentially displaying symptoms of financial discipline/prudence.

However there needs to be a degree of realism here. Douglas Park maybe as tight as a ducks arse however Rangers are not his plaything where he makes all the financial decisions. Budgets are prepared across a range of business areas, discussed and approved by the Board. This is consensus decision making not rule by an individual.

I don’t claim anything mate but I’m not going to post personal details on a forum. You seem to have a problem very odd.
I’ve put you in ignore mate.

Actually pal I was a director at a well known uk financial institution.

First mate I can assure you I did what I said but I’m not going to prove it to anyone on an Internet forum I retired in 2017.

Obviously not....

Given our recent history I find it strange that anyone involved in the running of our club would face criticism for potentially displaying symptoms of financial discipline/prudence.

However there needs to be a degree of realism here. Douglas Park maybe as tight as a ducks arse however Rangers are not his plaything where he makes all the financial decisions. Budgets are prepared across a range of business areas, discussed and approved by the Board. This is consensus decision making not rule by an individual.
There are people on here who either don’t understand simple finance or are just trying to cause division

Most of them have, at some time, sought power without capital investment.They all have delusions of grandeur.

There are others who still crave a Sugar Daddy with hundreds of millions and eff the consequences.

Things are not perfect but from the 3rd division to the EL final in 10 years is unbelievable and Park, Bennet Letham and Taylor have been there from the start

They deserve our respect and our support

I do as well but we were investing all the time then and never doing anything in Europe.
We have consistently done well in Europe since Gerrard came In.
A couple of decent signings would have made all the difference.
You ignored my last sentence though. We didn’t have the money.

What we did have was the advantage at half-time against 10 men.

The way I seen it King did his bit but obviously felt that he couldn’t continue to pump money in. Fair enough that is up to him but other guys including Park have stepped up.

What irks me slightly and again this is up to King is that he is wanting his money back now and is using Club1872 to do this which deprives the club of new equity.

I think we would all agree that we need to be self sustaining as there isn’t a queue of people to invest in Scottish football that aren’t fans.

It’s more the countless times we heard we had broken free to only end up back in court multiple times before eventually settling out of court

Millions in legal fees wasted
Not Kings fault. He didn't sign off on the contracts. The previous board did that.

He had no option but to either fight the case or roll over and take it hard.

The ones who signed off on that contract should be getting struck off as being fit to be directors of any other companies as they certainly did not do their best to look after the interests of our club.

As the chairman he will have more say in it than the rest.

There’s a fine line between prudence and regression. 5-6 million to make 40-50 million isn’t a great big gamble.

You ignored my last sentence though. We didn’t have the money.

What we did have was the advantage at half-time against 10 men.
We haven’t had the money all the way through 2 years champions league money would have massively helped though.

Listen I am not looking to spend 10s of millions but I am sure we could have afforded a decent RW and a back up CF.

There are people on here who either don’t understand simple finance or are just trying to cause division

Most of them have, at some time, sought power without capital investment.They all have delusions of grandeur.

There are others who still crave a Sugar Daddy with hundreds of millions and eff the consequences.

Things are not perfect but from the 3rd division to the EL final in 10 years is unbelievable and Park, Bennet Letham and Taylor have been there from the start

They deserve our respect and our support
Respect and support?, they deserve a Knighthood

Our board are a shambles.

Transfer-wise a total joke, 150th year celebrations a total joke.

Embarrassing.

I would have King over the current lot every day of the week.
Of course, you would, a guy ( who deserves enormous respect for what he did to start with ) who walked out and left the rest of the Directors to pick up a £27m Debt, according to ITK on here, then demanded his £5m back when we needed it.
He then goes on a PR stunt to get fans to put money into Club1872, so they could give him the money rather than buy shares directly from the Club.
He then tries to justify it in the press by having a go about certain fans having short memories and praising Club1872 for helping regime change.
It must be Dave that has a problem with his memory as Club1872 weren't formed until a couple of years after regime change
Can we stop all this rewriting history, Dave King is in our past and we have a Board who will make errors of judgment but no one can deny they have the very best interests, hopes and dreams for Rangers

As the chairman he will have more say in it than the rest.

There’s a fine line between prudence and regression. 5-6 million to make 40-50 million isn’t a great big gamble.
As chair he has a voice supported by his level of holding, no more no less. He does not have a controlling level of holding to dictate.

But it is a gamble and could come straight out of the Minty book of financial control. Do you take the same gamble the next year if it doesn’t work?

I back this board 100% I do not think they speak up enough for us at times and do have gripes but they have done a good job.

Need to speculate to accumulate as you well know and to be honest it’s all our money there would be no club without the fans especially the Season ticket holders.
I agree about investing in your business but football is entirely different, there are no guarantees that it would work out and after our recent history, I think anyone that thinks it through would say we need to be cautious
I would love to see us go out and buy 4 or 5 multi-million pound players, but at the present time there is no chance that will happen
To be fair to the Board they have spent millions on upgrading parts of the Stadium and training centre, I think we need to be a bit more patient
We will get there

As chair he has a voice supported by his level of holding, no more no less. He does not have a controlling level of holding to dictate.

But it is a gamble and could come straight out of the Minty book of financial control. Do you take the same gamble the next year if it doesn’t work?

We had a massive glaring chance for 2 years free run at the Champions league and have potentially blown it.

"Ooh that nice Mr King from up at the manor house - he always raised his hand to wave when I doffed my cap from the gutter as his Rolls drove by ...."

the man in the big hoose

the default setting of a depressingly high number of bears

Its a loan, shares etc.
King lost £20 million to Murray , never to be seen again.
In todays money that could be £50 million.
True but you can bet your bottom dollar King didn’t expect to make that loss. He’s a very astute business man and while, thank god, he is a true supporter, he’s not into throwing millions at bad investments.

He chose to leave and effectively handed over control of his investment to the current board. it would appear he now doesn’t like the way they are managing his investment. He backed a Pariah fans organisation and continues to use them as a vehicle to recover his investment, the breakdown between the current board and that organisation is IMO added to the conflict between DK and DP.

For me…… thank god for King, Park, Gerrard, GVB and all of the back room team who have managed us to where we are today. If there is any infighting and politics ongoing, leave that argument to the men who bought a ticket by investing millions of their personal wealth into our club. Kimg left, we now back Douglas Park and on balance, I’m happy with the job he has done so far and that doesn’t need to detract from what DK has done for our club.

Last edited:
So what do you actually want to happen? Where is the money to invest coming from? Where are these mythical people that want to pick up from Park and invest in our club? I don’t see them.

Most fans I know want us to be run in a sustainable way. Very important that we are. Current board gets a lot of unfair stick. Usually from people who don’t stop and think.
The board stated player sales would be reinvested in the team. £8m for Patterson is where exactly?
It’s not my place to suggest ownership that’s why you appoint a merchant bank to find one. You set guideline’s (like Chelsea) and see what happens.
However I’d be happy with a statement explaining to shareholders exactly what the hell is happening.

Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.

Since King left we’ve won 55, the Scottish cup & reached the Europa League final.

Is this transfer window not bad enough without reading this nonsense!
Exactly! At this time no offers have come in for platers that are exciting enough to accept, and until that time, we can't really move in the market place. Hence no action of real note so far...

Are you saying that we have money to invest in our squad and Park is willingly not spending it? A guy, who along with other high net worth Rangers fans, has out in over 43 million in 2 years? To spell it out, what the fans put in over the last 2 years didn’t remotely cover all of our outgoings. If it wasn’t for these guys, we would be in absolute dire straits.

Are you saying that we have money to invest in our squad and Park is willingly not spending it? A guy, who along with other high net worth Rangers fans, has out in over 43 million in 2 years? To spell it out, what the fans put in over the last 2 years didn’t remotely cover all of our outgoings. If it wasn’t for these guys, we would be in absolute dire straits.
We were told player sales would fund transfers we have hardly spent a penny in 2 years.

We were told player sales would fund transfers we have hardly spent a penny in 2 years.
Player sales WILL fund transfers. However it won’t look like, sell Bassey for 25 million, spend 25 million. It will be more like sell for 25 million, buy replacements for 12 million. Last year Celtic’s player sales were around 34 million and they spent around 20. That’s what we will aim to do. We haven’t spent a penny in 2 years because in that time we’ve lost more than £40 million. I’ll ask you this: who should provide the funds to make these purchases? Our board made up a shortfall of 43 million in this time and we didn’t even have a proper credit arrangement in place at a bank. So who is actually going to fund these purchases? You?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back