Dave King | Douglas Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst a lot of people aren't happy with how the club is run or certain areas of it just remember be careful what you wish for.

Currently I feel the best interests of the club are being handled whilst we are slowly improving areas of the stadium, training centre and backroom staff.
For how long to we keep saying thanks? To me you can thank them for their efforts and what they did but now want us to move on. The teams that spend most normally win right now our rivals are outspending us. Who would replace them? I've no idea but the notion that it's Park & Co or Ashley and the Easdales is not a reasonable view IMO. The time to spend was immediately after the #55 success. Now we are back on catch up IMO.

Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.
King did his bit but walked away from the club along with his going concern guarantee when covid in SA spooked him.

For how long to we keep saying thanks? To me you can thank them for their efforts and what they did but now want us to move on. The teams that spend most normally win right now our rivals are outspending us. Who would replace them? I've no idea but the notion that it's Park & Co or Ashley and the Easdales is not a reasonable view IMO. The time to spend was immediately after the #55 success. Now we are back on catch up IMO.
For how long to we keep suffering your insights?

(& for anyone thinking that's a bit harsh, this is the same poster who claims to be a former director of a leading UK Financial Institution).

The £40m you quote was in no way guaranteed. We could have spent £30m last summer and not qualified.

Gerrard was always going to return home. When his wife moved back to Liverpool it was always limiting his time with us.

This board handled the manager change very well and are managing the club in a sustainable way. That is key. Douglas Park has the long term interests of the club at heart and is a safe custodian.

We will strengthen in the right and affordable way.

I don’t know about you but I don’t want to see them continually win the league without decent investment it’s a strong possibility.

So lets go out and spend money getting top players in to try and qualify for the cl.

We don't qualify then what? It's ok, I know the answer, we end up on the slippery slope again to where we were before.

If that's the gamble you want to take with the club, fine. I put the club before glory, but that's maybe just me and I have the wrong thinking.
A couple of decent permanent signings would have made a big difference i am not asking to spend 20
Million.

We were screaming for a RW and another Striker.

I am making the point he won’t push the boat out.

The lack of investment has cost us in the region of 40 million already and gave them a free run this year as well .

Rightly or wrongly we should have strengthened properly in the Summer and January.
1-0 up with 45 minutes to go against 10 men was not a good enough platform for that?

Obviously not when we got put out or am I missing something?

Another Striker and we may well have been Europa League winners as well.
We had enough that night. I'm providing a tenuous argument here, but it's those small margins between success and failure that should matter here, and this is valid in judging this board.

A couple of decent permanent signings would have made a big difference i am not asking to spend 20
Million.

We were screaming for a RW and another Striker.
Still not a guarantee. It's not as if we haven't been knocked out of Europe before by a swedish club, after throwing money about.

I look back at the last true battle of britain as Rangers v Leeds in the first CL. Both these clubs then went onto chase the money of the cl and both went down a bad road. In fact, I'd say both are still recovering from those reckless days.

Celtic always had more money than us, they had 10 years on us when it came to making money.

Still not a guarantee. It's not as if we haven't been knocked out of Europe before by a swedish club, after throwing money about.

I look back at the last true battle of britain as Rangers v Leeds in the first CL. Both these clubs then went onto chase the money of the cl and both went down a bad road. In fact, I'd say both are still recovering from those reckless days.
A bit more decent investment and we would have been starting our second season running in the Champions League and Financially ahead of the beasts.

It's an interesting point you make, because the irony is that the closer you get to the CL the more pressure is put on a club to secure it, and secure something achievable there, which means spending. So, whilst that particular match thirty years ago wasn't the author of our later problems, there is a principle there that still stands. We have to manage our finances, that is a fact, and going all out for the CL may stretch us more than possible.

A bit more decent investment and we would have been starting our second season running in the Champions League and Financially ahead of the beasts.
So take a gamble with the clubs finances and what if we still got knocked out?

Wouldn’t have been a massive gamble and we would more or likely have been at least 40 million better off.
But it would have been. We have a very rare situation for a club this size, with domestic and European playing fields so asymmetric to one another. We don't have the domestic safeguards that many other clubs do, financially; the rewards for domestic success pale into insignificance compared to what is on offer in Europe; the ratio must be enormous. We don't have a net for failure that we can land on, if we fail.

If you’re not willing to accept our history then take a look at ownership of English clubs. That should be enough to illustrate our current good fortune.

I think Dave King had a drive and desire to see us get back on top, and so backed it as best he could. ( With Park!)
Now we are winning again, I think Douglas and the board are more concerned of following the path by Murray by chucking money at the CL qualifiers, and then getting knocked out and into the EL, so have decided to be more pragmatic in their approach and take the qualification into the CL as a ambition rather than a “must have”. That may have been Gerrard’s frustration, but I myself, having lived through the Murray caper, and seen the aftermath, applaud the board in their pragmatism. I also think that as disappointing as the Malmo results were, the board were proved correct due to accumulating a similar, if not better, revenue had they got knocked out of the CL groups.
I also applaud Mr King, but it should be recognised that Douglas was there too, and backed Mr. King.

What players do you think we should have sold and when?

Would you have been happy in the build to the 55 season if we’d offloaded players thus jeopardising our title chances?

Or did you want players sold this time last season ahead of the CL qualifiers?
I t
What players do you think we should have sold and when?

Would you have been happy in the build to the 55 season if we’d offloaded players thus jeopardising our title chances?

Or did you want players sold this time last season ahead of the CL qualifiers?
its not about wanting players sold. I’ve never wanted Rangers to sell an important player or player I’ve liked; from Gio to Boumsong to Cuellar. It’s about needing to sell players at that peak moment. It HAS to happen and it should’ve happened last summer. And it should be happening now. Or earlier than now to generate funds and refresh a stagnating squad and these “poor” windows we discuss that never properly impact the starting 11 quality.

For how long to we keep suffering your insights?

(& for anyone thinking that's a bit harsh, this is the same poster who claims to be a former director of a leading UK Financial Institution).
I don’t claim anything mate but I’m not going to post personal details on a forum. You seem to have a problem very odd.
I’ve put you in ignore mate.

Last edited:
If you’re not willing to accept our history then take a look at ownership of English clubs. That should be enough to illustrate our current good fortune.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion mate some share yours some share mine. Not every club in the EPL has questionable ownership.

Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.
The transfer window doesn’t close for a long time so no need to panic, if there was a week to go then yes but clubs have barely been back from holidays for a week and many clubs over Europe as still on the beach.
Calm down and leave the scaremongering to non supporters for the next few weeks and put some faith in not just the manager but our whole recruitment team

The semi-public falling out between King and Park is a little saddening to see.
Two men who should be revered for what they've done for us, coming to tit for tat crap.

I say semi-public, as its clear to see they've fallen out - they why remains a mystery.

People are blaming the board but really they just aren't happy with reality

This is the level we are at and this is the amount of money we have.

Don't want to sell stadium rights, don't want to maximise commercial income, don't want to profit on the old firm tag blah blah blah. Then we don't have money for £10m transfer kitty's
This, 100 times over.

Sadly, world football has moved on. We are very, very far down in the pecking order these days.
A read of the debates on Aribo show you some of our fans haven't moved on with the times - with demands of give him what he wants and decrying people as idiots for wanting to sell our players etc.

That tight sod has only invested a miserable £17m of his own cash
bring back DK after he gets his cash back
some seriously idiotic posts on here from DK’s fan boys
I am only interested in who can do a job for us whether it be investing or running it correctly.
Likely we are looking for someone that puts £17 million in and doesnt want shares or interest on the loan.
More shares means dilution for Club1872.

I don't really know what you expected from this post @Kit_Bear
There are some on here that would let our board go in and pump their wives stupid, then have a fry up ready for them waking up in the morning . They'd then offer to pay their taxi fares home.
If you've come here looking for people to be objective in this king Vs board members scenario then you've come to the wrong place
Get to bed and give us peace , what a load of garbage

I am only interested in who can do a job for us whether it be investing or running it correctly.
Likely we are looking for someone that puts £17 million in and doesnt want shares or interest on the loan.
More shares means dilution for Club1872.
I take it you mean someone like the Saudis?

This is what we know and there must be plenty of other things.
Edmiston House - shambles , what contract stops because of finance .
Embarrassing.
The memorial garden - sued for million.
Total mismanagement.
Australia
300k for a roof report from engineers- the contractor that did the works would have did it for nothing.
Mismanagement
H

I'd have King - or someone like him - back tomorrow.

He's not perfect, but he is a big, big miss.
Both King and Park have been fantastic for the club and we owe both of them enormous gratitude.
The poster should remember its 2022 not 2015 when stating he wishes DK was still at the helm.
Dave King is no longer investing in the club and is now actively trying to sell his shares and remove his investment in Rangers as is his right if he wishes to do so.
Douglas Park and the current board have invested huge amounts (not researched amount but previous poster stated almost 44 million) over the last 2 years the vast majority converted to shares.
Whilst like all boards they have made mistakes I dread to think where the club would be without their investment.

See that would explain it. It could be Park is just more sensible with money and has a more difficult situation to navigate because of the hand dealt after King left. I thought we could have a conversation about it but clearly FF can’t handle anything that remotely resembles a criticism.

Your problem is you 'think' then post. Not a good strategy on FF.

I haven't got any problem with the board outside of some small gripes (Castore, lowering of our brand to poor sponsorship, friendly etc).

They're not going to make the correct decision every time. No one does. But given everything they have done for the club, and I'm not just talking about on the field, they deserve far more trust.

If there is money there for transfers, I have no doubts in my mind that it will be spent. If no money is spent, what do bears think is happening? The board are taking massive bonuses?

We asked for a board that will safeguard our future so we never have another Murray.

We have that.

I would like some one stronger than Stewart Robinson in the board
Also wonder if like of Stuart Gibson will take a more active roll ?
The fans have continued to invest in season ticket s mygers strips etc
Well done

the resigning of McGregor ,Arfield and Davis certainly raised a few eyebrows, as much as these guys have contributed they must now been seen as bit players, we need to freshen up with seasoned professionals to drive the team on imo

Dougie park is as tight as two coats of paint I am not surprised we aren’t spending.
Douglas Park has put in millions to the Club as Dave King has already confirmed.We had a 23million loss last season plus there are UEFA rules about spending compared to turnover/profitability.These are the reasons for lack of spending and nothing to do with you're comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back