Dave Kings back up plan if Club 1872 cant pull it off

There is absolutely no chance of them getting 20,000 to pay £650 each which for most would be on top of season tickets, my gers and merchandise
30 a month over 24 months
Priority European and way tickets
" I'm a stauncher fan than you " badge / tie .
Purchase made simple advertising plan .
It,s tough but not impossible.

Alternatively, in (hopefully many!) years to come, his family will most likely dispose of the shares, should they to be left to them, and as DK himself said, they don't have the same affinity to the club, so the highest bidder may be their only consideration.

That said, the OP makes a valid point and I assume there is a plan B for the shares, or any residual shares, if C1872 don't secure the financial backing required.

His family don't want them at all from what I'm picking up. He's spoken about them already saying no to any more investment in Rangers.

You're right about the highest bidder being the issue then.

This is the fans chance to secure the future of the club

Club 1872 are asking for £500 then £10 per month OR £50 for 10 months then £10 per month, that gets you a “Legacy membership” with voting rights etc

Let's be clear here, he has not offered his shares to the fans, he has offered them to Club 1872.
Supporters have had no direct access to shares since the good guys took over.
I have suggested on the other thread that the purchase of a season ticket would also allow the buyer to purchase DKs shares to the same value.
Or the club could put an optional £100 onto the price of ST, and include £100 worth of DKs shares.
45000 x 100 x 3 = £13.5m in 3 years time.
The idea that 1000s fans are likely to donate £500(eg) to Club1872 is risible, it is not going to happen.
It appears that only Club 1872 can be trusted with share ownership.
I like that but is the £13m offer to C1872 conditional on a one year offer?
perhaps I read it wrong

The fans being the largest shareholder in the club is a recipe for disaster. A substantial shareholding which allows us a big say in how the club is ran and which would give us the power to block any boardroom moves we didn't like is the way forward.

The club needs rich investors supplemented by the fans. I couldn't think of anything worse than the fans being the main voice in the boardroom at the club and having the decisive say on operational matters.

The biggest voices in the boardroom as it stands are supporters.

The biggest voices in the boardroom as it stands are supporters.

Of course. But they are also highly successful businessmen at the very top level of their professions with plenty of experience in being on boards and involved in the operations of large, multi national companies.

Slightly different to the guys in the fans groups with the greatest of respect to them.

I don’t understand that paying upfront will cost you £500 then £10 a month

but paying up over 25 months is £20 a month then £10 a month

so if I payed up front now and someone choose to pay over 25 months

in 25 months I would have spent £750 and they would have spent £500

where is the incentive on paying upfront ?

But the punter paying £500 up front can immediately stop his £10 a month payment, still be a Legacy Member and only have paid the same £500 as the guy paying it up monthly.

Obviously the aim is to retain those who do so as monthly subscribers though - but it’s not a requirement.

Good point

The problem with that model was that it wasn't enough to block the likes of Whyte getting his mits on the club.

People are going to have to get past the "there's too much infighting" thing.

Generally it comes from a few loud voices intent on causing trouble (Alan Harris etc) . The good guys should be backed and not just see people throw their hand up in the air and slink off because of it all.

"you're either with us or against us"

Coupled with that though, C1872 need to move to being a far more organised and structured business set up. The work a few people involved do just now is great and they're giving up their own time. However, when the sums being talked about become the focus, we need actual business type people involved.

Wonder what Paul Murray is doing these days...
If they showed more focus and had actual business minded people on board as you point out then people would be more interested.
In its current structure I would not be putting money in to buy shares then pay monthly!!.
Rather increase my own amount.
Don't listen to many on the Internet personally as they probably have their own agenda, although I have/do discuss options with other fairly well known Rangers fans and at this moment no one would support Club 72, although I obviously would wish any group all the best whilst working for the benefit of the club.

I would happily buy shares on my own, but not interested in going through Club 1872.

I’m afraid I’m in that camp, too.

I’d happily invest more than the basic amount being sought under this proposal. I’d also happily take guidance from C1872 as to how they might suggest I vote on key issues.

However, I want control of my own money and my own vote.

Perhaps if Rangers and C1872 could somehow figure out a means of making shares available to non C1872 purchasers (possibly provided they’re currently or previously and for many years registered with the club data base) and then allow those share purchasers to become “associated” to the C1872 block, that might allow the £13m target to be reached more easily.

I’m not against the 25% + 1 objective, with a non day to day representation on the Board, but I do think the goal might be more quickly achieved by opening up the share purchase options.

Anyway, I wish everyone good fortune with this. It’ll be interesting to see how this develops in the coming months and years

just a thought, and not that clued up so bare with me.

Could king sell his shares to Rangers fans direct BUT you must proxy your vote to club 1872 or is that illegal?

I’m in no position to buy shares but if I was I wouldn’t be giving club1872 money for them I wouldn’t want my own.
If every fan had that attitude that leaves no fans with a say. Your paltry shares are nothing in the grand scheme. Join forces with like-minded bears and all of a sudden then 2012 doesn't happen.

It's a shame that rangers fans prefer to bury their head in the sand.

My opinion is club1872 should always look to increase its shareholding by investing in the club

it’s win win

they should not be buying rich fans shares off them seems totally daft idea to me
Can only do that in the event of a share issue. By buying the shares from King in this instance it will give the fans more power as club 1872 with have 25%+1 and past events would be safeguarded

Could scrape together the £650, but I'd want the Shares in my name with the option to proxy any vote.
They are DKs personal shares, he can offer them to whoever he wishes.
Restricting sales to certified ST holders would give the shares a safe home.
The more I consider spending £650 on DKs shares, and then "gifting" them to Club 1872, the more preposterous it sounds.
There must be a better way, shurely?

I’m afraid I’m in that camp, too.

I’d happily invest more than the basic amount being sought under this proposal. I’d also happily take guidance from C1872 as to how they might suggest I vote on key issues.

However, I want control of my own money and my own vote.

Perhaps if Rangers and C1872 could somehow figure out a means of making shares available to non C1872 purchasers (possibly provided they’re currently or previously and for many years registered with the club data base) and then allow those share purchasers to become “associated” to the C1872 block, that might allow the £13m target to be reached more easily.

I’m not against the 25% + 1 objective, with a non day to day representation on the Board, but I do think the goal might be more quickly achieved by opening up the share purchase options.

Anyway, I wish everyone good fortune with this. It’ll be interesting to see how this develops in the coming months and years

As I see it (and its absolutely your right to control your own money / share purchases if you can get your hands on them) it's bigger than the individual.

We had the situation where there were thousands of people in that boat who would have considered their interest on voting matters aligned with what was best but it didn't stop what happened.

You're 4th paragraph is interesting but I've no idea if its workable or not. I think we / they have to concentrate on the King proposal first. He'll be doing it this way for a reason.

My biggest worry is who is going to lead C1872 if they can pull the purchase off

Paul Murray,Chris Graham,Mark Dingwall?? Would be good choices

Regarding Club 1872 ... why would buying shares from DK be any different to buying "new shares" ... and thus why would you need any of the above-mentioned? It could go through the very same acquisition routes, I would assume.

There`s some sort of "angst" building up that suddenly Club 1872 and its problems will create some mess at the top. When in reality - even if they pull it off and get all of DK`s shares, they would only be at the top of the major shareholders, but not "the majority shareholder". They wouldn`t pull any more strings - and already said so - at board level than they do now (and given the reaction on here quite rightely so). So why the galloping paranoia some seem to develope? Imagine DK had offered his shares to other major shareholders of which we know next to nothing? As it stands, the offer ensures safeguarding more shares via a "Rangers supporters vehicle" rather than one or two "Rangers man". The major shareholders won`t go away and I for one would assume that e.g. the 3Bears and fellow like-minded investors are not in opposition to having Club 1872 around as a shareholder. At worst, the former may demand a seat on the board to safeguard their investment, but given what they have done in recent months, that is apparently not the first thought on their minds.

After what happened with the Fighting Fund, the decision taken of the money going towards a blooming stand that the majority of us will never even see, I definitely have reservations. I'm not sure I'd trust them with my money.

Last edited:
Not really sure hes looking at a back up plan. The fact hes given them 3 years suggests hes not in a rush

They are DKs personal shares, he can offer them to whoever he wishes.
Restricting sales to certified ST holders would give the shares a safe home.
The more I consider spending £650 on DKs shares, and then "gifting" them to Club 1872, the more preposterous it sounds.
There must be a better way, shurely?

Your 650 quid is not an investment to get a return on. It's the knowledge that 2012 can be stopped. It's the investment in fan ownership.

If in 2009 you bought £650 worth of shares in rangers what would they be worth now.

Back