Dave Smith

Bit late in the day.but;Happy Birthday,Mr.Smith.
You`ve signed some of my dearest Rangers memorabilia for me in the past; I`d publicly like to say to you,firstly;a big thank you! :) ...
and also,these items will give me a lifetime of memories. WATP

Quality player. Used to get his autograph at Ibrox following my paper round. Saw him last year on his birthday at the match. Wished him all the best and he was so pleased we recognizsed him.
Sweet left foot.

Happy birthday Dave Smith, 76 years young today. A proper bluenose whose favourite games were the 300 plus times he pulled on our famous jersey. Photo below is one of those jerseys with his European medals from 67 & 72.

ST in the Govan rear, still follows The Rangers whenever and wherever possible, is as excited as the rest of us about heading to Rotterdam in a fortnight and is always a credit to the club.

All the best Dave, you deserve it. Truly one of us.

Possibly the classiest defender we ever had.

Oooozed class.

A very underrated player. Happy birthday Dave.
I remember when he was Berwick Rangers manager and him and a couple of their players Davy Moyes and Pogo Smith used to enjoy a beer or two, he was always very approachable.
Happy birthday Sir.

My abiding memory as a wean was watching him dribble past 3 players in our own penalty box.

2 caps. He was a far far better player than that.
Dave was an Italian or a Spaniard or perhaps a Brazilian, (take your pick) playing in Scottish football.
He was playing a game that most Scots of the time didn't understand.
It was no coincidence that Dave played in two teams that got to two European finals.
Dave understood continental football and it was on such a backyard that he excelled.

Possession football, emphasis on passing and keeping the ball, building from the back, calm under pressure, that is all you that hear now, yet Dave was the master of it when the rest of Scottish football was all about the cavalry charge.
Of course, he wasn't picked for Scotland, Dave was playing a different game.

If he was playing today, Steven Gerrard would have him in his side every week and Dave would fit into the team plan like a glove.
Thanks for all those wonderful memories Dave and happy birthday.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="govan_derriere, post: 4687033, member:
uuhDPSE.jpg
HqZYFTx.jpg

[/QUOTE]
A true gentleman.
Where can I get one of those paintings ?

“He’s one of our own” never more apt than speaking of Dave. From someone who watched him many many times he was a superb footballer and top top block

A true gentleman.
Where can I get one of those paintings ?
The original painting, gifted to Dave, was commissioned by the Dave Smith Loyal RSC 6 years ago. Only 11 prints were issued plus the artitst copy iirc.

I have Number 6. Any value they originally had has disappeared, we let Dave sign the prints and certificates :))

Another stunning example of Helen Runciman's work, an extremely talented artist.

The original painting, gifted to Dave, was commissioned by the Dave Smith Loyal RSC 6 years ago. Only 11 prints were issued plus the artitst copy iirc.

I have Number 6. Any value they originally had has disappeared, we let Dave sign the prints and certificates :))

Another stunning example of Helen Runciman's work, an extremely talented artist.
Thanks mate.
I have most of Helen's work all in the same frames and they are stunning. First time I've seen this and it looks brilliant.

Back