Dave Vos new assistant manager

He will have great knowledge either personally or playing against all the youth in Holland. This could be great for us in convincing young talent to join. Plus with Zeb Jacobs running the academy and his knowledge of Belgian youth system. This can only be a good thing.
This would mean Wilson doing good things, earning his corn, blah blah blah, and too many on here won’t fancy admitting that!

If this is who's to be the assistant manager it probably highlights that the club will be looking to increase our output from B team to the first team

Exciting appointment - the set up at Ajax in developing youth players is a must follow route for Rangers at this time when finance is tight.

Just hope that the support is ready and willing to back this strategy.

Please fill us in on who has the better youth in Scotland then.

Its been said before that they have a better youth system…. They seem to produce or give more players a chance also.

Its not unstaunch to see/say that.

They have more youth scouts an spend more money on it as well.

Hopefully we over take them in the next few years

Remember we had to start ours from scratch not long ago

On paper, this seems like a fantastic appointment. Well done to Ross Wilson and the team.

Exciting appointment - the set up at Ajax in developing youth players is a must follow route for Rangers at this time when finance is tight.

Just hope that the support is ready and willing to back this strategy.
The set up at Ajax means they can go 3/4 years without a trophy, can’t see Rangers fans accepting that to develop some youth players.

Not necessarily saying they won’t draft in some youth guys, just merely highlighting the Ajax model comes at a price.

This would mean Wilson doing good things, earning his corn, blah blah blah, and too many on here won’t fancy admitting that!
You reckon this is down to Wilson? Just a coincidence that it happens a week after GVB comes in then? Not having a go at Wilson just looking for honesty.

You reckon this is down to Wilson? Just a coincidence that it happens a week after GVB comes in then? Not having a go at Wilson just looking for honesty.
GvB would be the driver but Wilson would have to deliver.
As for honesty, Wilson gets it from some for perceived failures.
Is that honesty?

Depends on what role he is actually coming into do.

It could be first team or it could be to do development works who knows till club announce.

But wilson will also have been involved in selling the vision and ethos of rangers along with gio so he has played his part

Getting Ajax's youth coach is brilliant for us.

Brilliant news. Ajax are one of the best in the world with developing players. His knowledge of the Dutch market and beyond will be vast.

Very exciting appointment for Rangers

looks like a solid appointment. Do we know if this means that van Gastel won't be joining, or is there a still a chance of him coming once his contract in China is done?
Looks like Vos is coming in to the club at first team level. He’s served his time in the youth set up and this seems a logical next step

The set up at Ajax means they can go 3/4 years without a trophy, can’t see Rangers fans accepting that to develop some youth players.

Not necessarily saying they won’t draft in some youth guys, just merely highlighting the Ajax model comes at a price.

That's why I don't understand the clamour to copy Ajax. It's not viable unless there's a seismic shift in attitude within our support. Which I just don't see.

Ajax have had barren spells in recent years. They are going through a golden period at the moment. Got one of the best young managers in the world and a conveyor belt of talent. Stars have aligned for them. There was a 4 year gap between FdB winning 3 in a row and them winning the league again. Not to mention Dutch football is in a far healthier state overall than Scottish football is and they maintain a fairly healthy European Coefficient. They know they aren't just handing PSV 4 years of unfretted access to wealth that would see a sizable gap form. Unlike us and them, where us handing them the incentive for a length of time could be potentially hazardous.

That's why I don't understand the clamour to copy Ajax. It's not viable unless there's a seismic shift in attitude within our support. Which I just don't see.

Ajax have had barren spells in recent years. They are going through a golden period at the moment. Got one of the best young managers in the world and a conveyor belt of talent. Stars have aligned for them. There was a 4 year gap between FdB winning 3 in a row and them winning the league again. Not to mention Dutch football is in a far healthier state overall than Scottish football is and they maintain a fairly healthy European Coefficient. They know they aren't just handing PSV 4 years of unfretted access to wealth that would see a sizable gap form. Unlike us and them, where us handing them the incentive for a length of time could be potentially hazardous.
I think the attitude within supporters CAN change. There's generally 2 or 3 other teams in Holland that can challenge occasionally, like Feyenoord, PSV, AZ . In Scotland we only have the tims. We shouldn't suffer as much. Also, the rest of their league is better than the rest of ours.

We've got top class facilities that should have been churning out quality by now (and to be fair, Patterson the main one does look class, and of course Billy Gilmour). All we needed was the correct coaches and looks like we're getting it

We’ve been screaming out for years to adapt the Ajax/Porto model.

Thankfully it seems we are taking the steps needed

De Ligt, van de Beek, Frenkie de Jong, Dolberg, Kluivert and co have come through the Ajax ranks over the last 3/4 years to the tune of £315m.

Given we have just a single genuine competitor during rebuild & development cycle we would anticipate 2nd place would we ?
Still gives us chance at CL in today’s money

After 10 years at Ajay and aged 38, you wonder whether he might be deemed good enough and sees himself more than able to step up and coach the big ones?

His knowledge of the Dutch youth players will sure come in handy, and I reckon that he will sure have a look at our youngsters too in any case.

NB: Seen quite few of those in the current training videos.

After 10 years at Ajay and aged 38, you wonder whether he might be deemd good enough and sees himself more than able to step up and coach the big ones?

His knowledge of the Dutch youth players will sure come in handy, and I reckon that he will sure have a look at our youngsters too in any case.

NB: Seen quite few of those in the current training videos.
Yeah, a few of them were training with the first team this week as they were ineligible for the YCL so never travelled with the youth team.

Good opportunity for them to make the most of that.

i think Ajax are a club in a very similar position to Rangers. Expect to win every game, play in a league that requires Players to be developed and sold. They seem to have mastered it and we are still learning.

Given we have just a single genuine competitor during rebuild & development cycle we would anticipate 2nd place would we ?
Still gives us chance at CL in today’s money

We would, kind of. The issue stems from the lack of finances available to clubs in Scotland out with European success. Given only two clubs in Scotland at present, actually perform in Europe beyond the qualifiers. That impacts our coefficient. Which impacts our ability to gain access to the CL. A downturn of 4 years at Rangers would essentially hand that mob a 4 year free hit at the CL Group stages. We'd be at the mercy of the current health of the coefficient, which might mean limited or no access to the CL and being stuck with Europa League or Conference money.

Whereas the Dutch have a far healthier league and a far better coefficient than we do. PSV for example had access to the CL qualifiers for the past few years. Teams in general are far more competive and compete more regularly in Europe than Scottish teams do. Which makes a downturn less severe for Ajax when it occurs. It's less do or die for them in a financial sense.

Sounds like a major coupe for the club.I just hope Wilson has some kind of structure in mind to stagger the appointments and to build safeguards into their contracts. For example,given the mass exodus of the Gerrard team, perhaps they could build buy out clauses in their contracts.One million on a sliding scale upwards to perhaps 10 million for a valued member of staff.There is no doubt that the mass exodus has cost us the cup semi-final.

But even prior to 2012 both us and them did go through those cycles. They won 3IAR under Strachan and we did the same under Walter. They won 3 out of 4 in Oneils first few seasons as well. But instead of building through a down cycle we both just flailed about until something stuck and worked.

We aren't going to win the league every year. Neither are they. At some stage in the next decade they'll win at least 2 in a row. So will we. That's just how it goes. Be better for the health of the club long term if those periods are used to build for the future and not just scattergun signings and managers.

But even prior to 2012 both us and them did go through those cycles. They won 3IAR under Strachan and we did the same under Walter. They won 3 out of 4 in Oneils first few seasons as well. But instead of building through a down cycle we both just flailed about until something stuck and worked.

We aren't going to win the league every year. Neither are they. At some stage in the next decade they'll win at least 2 in a row. So will we. That's just how it goes. Be better for the health of the club long term if those periods are used to build for the future and not just scattergun signings and managers.

I completely agree. I just disagree with the notion that the Ajax model is the correct model to use for us as a club. Plus it's worth noting that the Ajax model is 60 years in the making. It's not something that's been implemented relatively recently. Dutch football has always been associated with youth development. That's not something that could be said for Scottish football.

Fully behind the notion of building during fallow years. However sceptical on whether or not going fully down the road of the Ajax youth model is a good fit for us. That's all.

Absolutely buzzing about this…. A real coup for us.

I mentioned on here a few times that my lad is in the Ajax academy here and so I often get chance to see their u16s and 18s train too and the amount of talent is unreal (no surprises there), the training sessions I watch are of an incredible standard.

Had a few chats with him as well, always spotted my Rangers gear whenever I had it on and knew a lot about the league etc and mentioned how he wanted to go to Old firm one day after hearing so much about it. Absolutely lives and breathes football.

This guy is regarded as one of the best coaches in the entire Dutch system … what a signing.
First hand experience - sounds very promising indeed.

Back