David Bates has improved after leaving Rangers for Hamburg - Scot Gemmill

I liked him. He's fucked off to Germany and isn't having to deal with Motherwell and their ilk week in week out. It'll improve him and he will be forced to be better on the deck. It's a brave move for a young man from a football and lifestyle perspective and I really hope it works out for him.

He'd have been our 5th choice centre half now at best.

Hamburg was a great financial and career move for the lad. He's an average SPFL centre half at best and that's where he'll likely find himself in a couple of years.

It isn’t a shock to hear he has improved, his game stepped up a level most times he walked on the park for us.

He will end up a Scotland International and would have been perfectly good back up to Katic and Goldson this season.

A really solid defender who done us a turn at a time when things collapsed around him.

It isn’t a shock to hear he has improved, his game stepped up a level most times he walked on the park for us.

He will end up a Scotland International and would have been perfectly good back up to Katic and Goldson this season.

A really solid defender who done us a turn at a time when things collapsed around him.

Correct. There's gonna be a lot of back tracking on here.

The most amusing thing is the way some posters criticise and condemn certain players but when the players do well the posters claim that they've improved. The posters cant admit they were wrong.

Best example I can think of was that "Aberdeen reject" Sone Aluko. Turned out he was excellent. Cue the "he's improved", brigade. Always good for a laugh.

Can I just say that he's looked ok in the two matches I've seen him play for HSV.

He actually made a glaring mistake in the game v Arminia, although HSV got away with it. If that had been us he was playing for, he'd have been "pish", "shite", "not good enough for Rangers" etc. etc. etc.

He'll develop really well in Germany. They are light years ahead of us in terms of developing young players. I think it's an excellent move for young Master Bates. I doubt if he would ever reach his full potential playing in this country, where running about a lot and going in hard is valued above actual technical ability.

I wish the young man well and hope he does superbly out at HSV.

Sometimes you have to read an article without preconceived notions that it will be anti Rangers.

Nothing really wrong with this at all.
Agree. It is tough for some of our fans to take the blinkers off though.

Pretty fair article and good to see the lad progressing.

He’s not on the same planet as Goldson or Katic, arguably Worrall or McAuley either. It was the right thing for Bates to do.

I only saw coverage of his debut and he was absolutely honking, Hamburg got thumped 3-0 at home and he was subbed after less than an hour.

Since the game against Holstein Kiel, Hamburg have kept two clean sheets and Bates has played well in both games. They shipped 3 in the cup against a diddy team but Bates wasn't involved.

The only statement I take umbrage with is "the expectancy of playing in front of 50,000 people every home game", as though he never experienced that at Ibrox :rolleyes:

We should have tried to develop this player before cutting him loose, one of Mark Allen’s few mistakes. Assuming he wanted to stay of course.
We never cut him loose - he wanted more than was sensible to offer a guy who wasn't a first-pick. Hamburg made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I wanted him to stay, but he and Katic are the same age (Katic is actually five days younger) - I think we may just have made the right choice somehow

The implication of the piece points that way; it says he's out of his "comfort zone", when in fact Bates, as the poster says, was improving under Rangers.
The "comfort zone" in this case will be the Country he is now living and playing in. Adapting to a new culture, language etc are hard enough without taking in to account a new footballing style.

I don't think many would have objected to Bates staying as back up on a reasonable wage.

He chose not to accept our offer and moved on.

The guy has taken an unusual route that many British players shy away from. I have no doubts that would improve him and make him more rounded.

I can’t see anything wrong with the article to be honest. He’s hardly saying Rangers held him back, just that he is getting better.

Player sees improvement in his overall game after playing in the German league rather than the Scottish league?

giphy.webp

He doesn’t say he has. He says he will. And he’ll be getting reports/Insight from coaches.

You are trying to find fault or a reason to have a to when none exists

The very first line of the article

David Bates has already improved as a player after switching to Hamburg from Rangers this summer, according to Scotland Under-21 boss Scot Gemmill.

Player sees improvement in his overall game after playing in the German league rather than the Scottish league?

giphy.webp

Do you seriously believe that Bates has improved after playing just 3 games for Hamburg?? They are in the second tier of the German league so not exactly the highest level but seemingly he is now out of his comfort zone. Do you think he was ever in a comfort zone when he played for us??

Not a dig at Bates because I thought the big man gave us everything he had

But

Rangers have improved at the back since Bates left

That’s ducking undeniable and all that matters

"If you also factor in the size of the club that he has joined, the expectancy of playing in front of 50,000 people every home game will add to that.

Yeah, he'd never have got that experience or expectancy level at Ibrox!

First time I saw him v Holstein Kiel he was awful. The other two games I've seen him since then he looked better but I don't see where he's improved since he left Ibrox. He looks really nervy at times although he's started trying to pass the ball forward now instead of just passing it back to the goalie every time he got it in that first game.

First time I saw him v Holstein Kiel he was awful. The other two games I've seen him since then he looked better but I don't see where he's improved since he left Ibrox. He looks really nervy at times although he's started trying to pass the ball forward now instead of just passing it back to the goalie every time he got it in that first game.

That's because Hamburg usually have their goalie further forward than the defenders these days.

I've watched two of their three league games live and Bates was awful in the first one, marginally better in the third.

Gemmill obviously trying to give his player an ego boost because he can't seriously believe Bates has made that much of an improvement.

I wish him well enough.

Wondering that myself. Why wouldn't he continue to improve?
All very weird, of course he'll want to continue to improve and I'm also struggling to see anything wrong with what's been said, seems a lot of our support are in full on offended mode about anything these days!

I don’t understand why anyone has a problem with it being said he is improving or why they doubt it. He improved time and time again for us, even after injury he came back better. He’s not playing under a joker like Murty now and German football is better technically. Of course he’ll improve and I’ve no problem with that. Good luck to the lad

Back