David Bates signs for Cercle Brugge

Ah is it. Still, good that he didn’t just come back and drop down the Scottish leagues like lots of others would have done.

He must kick himself though from a footballing point of view.

I thought he was pretty poor and isn't in the class of the CBS we have now but he jumped just before Gerrard came in. He must wonder what if.

Cracking chips over there, he'll become the size of a house!
A larger body mass might dictate a gravitational pull and afford him a touch better than a hippo.
He's no good, we were that bad we thought he was good.
The performances in the last 180 mins from Goldson, Helander and Balogun have been better than anything the lad has produced.

Good luck to him and all that but sentimentality towards 55 is non existent at the moment

Cercle makes more sense than the “Signs For Brugge” thread. They are rank and tbh Bates could do well with them. As stated, his agent works for his dough

He played for Rangers, lived and played football in Hamburg, now going to live and play football in Bruges, always for good money, and still has some of the best years of his life ahead of him.

I'd say David Bates is doing very well for himself.

I don’t blame any player who felt that Rangers in early-2018 prior to Gerrard’s arrival was not the optimal place to stay and develop as a footballer. We were a shambles at that time.

Fair play to him for trying to make a career on the continent rather than taking the easy option and coming back and signing for a Motherwell or someone.

Best of luck ginger Ramos, always liked him when he was at us. Nowhere near our standard now, they way some folk bitch about Goldson should have a look at our defenders 2 (TWO) years ago.

In my own very humble opinion, a really decent defender and footballer who wanted to play for us, and he really could still do a job. He’s got the Scottish trait of defending old school but he’s got all the poise of a European player.
he got a big move far too early in his career I reckon going to Hamburg but you can’t say no to that kind of opportunity (See Danny Wilson)

I liked the Big fella, one day he’ll come back. I’m sure of it.

However his career pans out he will have done more than most pros here who are happy to stay in the comfort zone, he will be rich in experiences when he retires whatever happens

Fair play to him. Hamburg was a great move for him at the time and he started so well there before tailing off.

He’s certainly better than coming back here to play for hammer throwers like Killie or Aberdeen.

Awesome. Good for him. Great to see a young Scot going out in the world and trying new experiences.

Played in Hamburg, a great city. Now going to Brugge in the Belgian top flight. Never been myself, but that will be some life experience and no doubt a great career move.

Good for him.

He must kick himself though from a footballing point of view.

I thought he was pretty poor and isn't in the class of the CBS we have now but he jumped just before Gerrard came in. He must wonder what if.
Disagree. He would’ve been backup after NK and CG came in. Instead, he’s went to play football in Europe with Hamburg and now playing Belgium. Probably making a fortune and it’s 10x the experience than wasting away here playing for Hearts or Killie.

Nothing but good things to say about David Bates. He was the Rangers representative when the charity foundation treated my terminally ill grandpa to hospitality. A lot of young players would have been like a rabbit in the headlights, but he took his time to ask about us, where we’re from etc. Always appreciated that and hope this move works out for him. :)

Do you think he's been picking up a few grand a week to play football to live in Hamburg and now Bruges or would it be less than that? Either way it's a decent life. I was a big fan of him when he was here but you very rarely see younger players come in and become first choice centre backs. The last (and only) one I can remember is Danny Wilson who then seemed to hit a wall in terms of his development and started sliding down the leagues. His performance against Celtic is quite memorable for me and I wouldn't write him off as being an excellent defender in a few years time.

Brilliant move for him and fair play for being willing to try different countries

Probably a sad indictment of where we were at the time, but i was genuinely gutted & felt cheated when he jumped ship.

I now don't care about him enough to say "good luck" or wish him well, but fair play for having the balls to stay in europe instead of returning to the lower half of the spl or English league 1.

Disagree. He would’ve been backup after NK and CG came in. Instead, he’s went to play football in Europe with Hamburg and now playing Belgium. Probably making a fortune and it’s 10x the experience than wasting away here playing for Hearts or Killie.

You're not really disagreeing mate when I said he wasn't in the class of the centre halfs we brought in.

But a player will always back themselves so maybe he wonders if his career couldve been different had he hung around for Gerrard.

Back