David Bates. Solid as a rock.

Did well at times tonight, but overall I thought he was poor. A number of times he got caught out positionally and at some of their set-pieces I think he could have been stronger.

My oservations aren't intended as slagging him off. I think he is a decent defender who, with experience, can get better.
His positional sense was outstanding tonight, again his composure on the ball not brilliant but not terrible, I thought he was decent tonight, 7/10 from me and would've been 8 had he hit blue jerseys with his passing a bit more often.

A good defender and a shame if we lose him. I think he'll become very good along with McCrorie - what a centre pairing they could make. Scottish and bloody good. I think he answered the question to why he's in the team ahead of Cardoso at the moment.

Thought he was a bit suspect the last 15 minutes, but here’s no doubting he’s a an excellent defender when on his game.

His positional sense was outstanding tonight, again his composure on the ball not brilliant but not terrible, I thought he was decent tonight, 7/10 from me and would've been 8 had he hit blue jerseys with his passing a bit more often.
Agreed - very solid defensively and formed a good partnership with Martin who had a fine debut - very pleased with both of them.

He was superb tonight.

There was a moment near the end where they had two players charging in and you were just waiting on the ball going in, then the big man just seemed to turn in the 6 yard box with the ball as casual as you like:D

Still not sure what the hell actually went on.

No worries for me when he plays, keeps things simple, wins just about everything in the air and will only get better with experience.

I thought he was really strong tonight. If you look at the improvement in him in the last year and where he could be next year. Without doubt worth dealing in now.

He was superb tonight.

There was a moment near the end where they had two players charging in and you were just waiting on the ball going in, then the big man just seemed to turn in the 6 yard box with the ball as casual as you like:D

That’s the incident I mentioned earlier.
The big lad is ice cold.

Agreed - very solid defensively and formed a good partnership with Martin who had a fine debut - very pleased with both of them.
I had reserved judgement on Martin as I have not witnessed him enough of him but after tonight, yes a good foil for young Bates and others.

Never thought he was ever going to be good enough for us, but he has now played home and away to the sheep and away to the scum and looked good in some of the toughest games we play, still raw and a better player when the other team has the ball but he might have a chance

Young Bates looked more composed on the ball tonight.
He certainly knows how to defend.
If he works on his technical skills, he could become a right good player.
And very rarely looses a one v one and tackles clean had a brain fart tonight when he got too close to one of them and gave away a free
kick on the edge of our box but had a great game tonight

What a boy! Hopefully the start of a great partnership between Martin and Bates.

Mind and close the door on the way out...eh, Danny is it?

There was an incident near the end when Wes was pulling off save after save and the ball broke to Bates who was yards from the line with three sheep bearing down on him. He appeared to do a drag back to get the ball under control and then very calmly get rid of it.
Balls of steel for one so young.
He was superb tonight.

From GR5, I was waiting for the net to burst, then Big Norman came WALKING out the melee with the ball at his feet, cool as you like. I thought he was solid tonight

If Bates & Martin were as superb as being made out here, Aberdeen wouldn't of had as many chances.

They done OK tonight, shakey at points but big overreaction on here. (And same folk will call them the worst centre backs in the world if they play poorly next game :D)

So it’s down to Bates and Martin that Aberdeen had a few chances during the only period of the game where they dominated?

Bearing in mind it was also the first time in the game where essentially our whole team was camped inside our own half, about 25 yards from our own goal, so the opposition are bound to create chances when we are sitting so deep.

I thought Martin and Bates looked good tonight, did what they had to do with little messing about. I like that in centre halfs and I think Bates is a good player who is still raw but can develop in to a really good defender for us.

Thought he played well tonight and distribution Defo improved.
Still a disaster waiting to happen at times, like when he let the ball go over his head towards the end!
Hopefully will only get better

I thought Bates was great tonight too and ran Tav close for motm.

He's so solid in all the basic aspects of defenfing. I also noticed an improvement in his passing tonight, which I think most of us agree is his biggest weakness. Kept it simple and only remember 1 instance where he gave the ball away.

Martin was absolutely fine on his debut as well, grew into the match and ould see him talking to the back 4 all the way through.

These 2 have the jerseys and absolutely no reason to change either of them based on tonight's showing.

And when the 2 of them did falter a bit towards the end, Tav and Wes were there to bail them out. That's what you call teamwork and a defensive unit ready to cover for each other.

Still not convinced by Bates to be honest. Thinks he’s just alright, still young though with plenty of time to develop

Said it from start he is a young Davie Weir.

Shit with the ball, however rock solid defender with great positional sense.

He's cumbersome, distribution isn't great and naturally hunches over so people don't like the look of him. But he is a solid as %^*& defender and his all round game is coming on leaps and bounds. He will have a very good career hopefully with us but I bet like many others will not get the Scotland caps he deserves because unless you watch him regular you will pick out his bad points and secondly he plays for us.

I’m another who didn’t rate him – I certainly feared the worst when he came on in the OF game – but he’s continuing to prove me wrong in big games.

Well done, big man.

When you consider the number of goals that we have conceded in recent seasons as a result of our having central defenders who couldn’t defend, I am very pleased that we have such a good defender in David Bates who seems the type, who will work hard to improve his distribution shortcomings.

A good defender and a shame if we lose him. I think he'll become very good along with McCrorie - what a centre pairing they could make. Scottish and bloody good. I think he answered the question to why he's in the team ahead of Cardoso at the moment.

Agreed 100% with that and I think that guys like them are the future for us.

W.A.T.P.

Did well at times tonight, but overall I thought he was poor. A number of times he got caught out positionally and at some of their set-pieces I think he could have been stronger.

My oservations aren't intended as slagging him off. I think he is a decent defender who, with experience, can get better.

Nah he made two mistakes one in each half, other than that a sterling effort from him tonight, take a bow Son.

Thought he played well tonight and distribution Defo improved.
Still a disaster waiting to happen at times, like when he let the ball go over his head towards the end!
Hopefully will only get better
Tavernier obviously shouted to leave it.

Don't get the hate for the guy. Solid and a proper defender. He has a lot of potential and has a good presence about him. He very rarely let's us down. Keep up the good work big man!.

No hate here. He's a good kid but that doesn't blind me from the fact he shouldn't be near the first team. He was part of a defence that got a clean sheet tonight but Martin and him conceded way too many chances for my liking.

I think that's spot on. There's no hate and he will definitely get better but I think he's the 5th best centre half at the club.

Forget the fact for a moment his defending was poor, he just can't play. It's difficult to watch at times. Playing the way we want to play it's a big problem that he can't be given the ball unless he's in ten yards of space.

I like how that sometimes people pick up on the fact that Bates has made a couple of mistakes. The best defenders in the world will still makes mistakes during a game - Bates has caused us very little problems in defence and seems to a very good defender. I wouldn't even consider dropping him just now.

He’s a goalkeepers defender

No nonsense, lines cleared, blocks, headers and crunching tackles.

Yes he’s not great with the ball but I’d say he’s probably played less than 20 games for us. He’ll improve and must be offered a contract.
Yes !
Take the money and contract that Danny Wilson turned his nose up and give it to this guy. It’s a no brainer. Future Gers captain

Reminds me of Björklund.
Pacey, solid, ball winning defender.
Not the best at playing the ball out but solid in the tackle.

I like him.

The ginger Dave McPherson I said tonight .. He's a good player considering the circumstances

I'm a fan of David Bates. I hope he stays. He has a great opportunity for 1st team football with Alves getting older and picking up daft injuries and Danny Wilson likely to be leaving the club.
He can do it.

I think that's spot on. There's no hate and he will definitely get better but I think he's the 5th best centre half at the club.

Forget the fact for a moment his defending was poor, he just can't play. It's difficult to watch at times. Playing the way we want to play it's a big problem that he can't be given the ball unless he's in ten yards of space.
See right now I would trust bates more in the team than Alves.for me judging on this season I have felt the that the defense looks more secure with bates in it than Alves.

They were discussing him on heart and hand podcast and I agreed with what they said.

Our fans tend to always focus on the negatives of players and rarerly the positives. Especially with younger players.

I think Bates has suffered with this.

Deal him in or lose him for buttons. Decent player and acquitted himself well last night. Best game so far still the Piggery but that's two in a row from the young lad. Onwards and upwards.

Back