David Bates told to find a new club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely loving the "not surprised" brigade on here :D

Last season this place was raving about him, he was a mainstay for Hamburg at the time.

Many posters wished him well but thought ultimately he wouldn’t make it long term and Rangers or HSV. He was fairly decent in the air, but we need much more than that. He just wasn’t comfortable on the ball.

This forum is made up by thousands of people many with different, and some with similar, views and opinions.

‘This place’ had just as many people ‘raving’ about the player has it had those questioning his qualities.

Is that so difficult to process?

It seems to be for some.

If he played with HSV and Gerrard signed him as someone the vast majority of our fanbase would know very little about, he would be rated. As alot of our fans are doing with our new signings who have barely got their foots in the door with no real foundation to their judgements.

Bates has shown in the time he had here that he can play in the big games, he can clear a ball convincingly and command the area he is defending very well. Possibly a few weaknesses at times although he isn't half as bad as you would be made to believe by reading this thread.

Let's see what the new signings are capable of before comparing them to someone who did reasonably well here. Bigger named and better signings have failed here. We trust Gerrard but that's not to say his signings are going to do a successful time here.

I'd have been happy to have him as an able squad player.

The clamour on here for people to say see I told you he was shit, is astounding. Young player for us, moved abroad and all these posters watched him and formed/reinforced their opinion? Of course not, waited for the media that we all trust (???) to say he was let go and jumped on the opportunity to slag an ex player who is still at beginning of his career, learning and hopefully improving. Once he moved on I never gave another thought to him so have no idea how he is doing, but once a Ranger always a Ranger... no?!? Good luck to the boy.

It's a shame he thought he was worth more than we were offering. I reckon with decent coaching he could have came on a good bit more & been a solid CB. He could read the game, tackling was good & decent in the air too. It was really just when he had the ball at his feel that needed work.

Oh well. Maybe a wee lesson in there for someone down the line.

We have four centre halfs now. All on permanent contracts and of good ages. It's now the last place we need to buy in unless Helander/Edmundson turn out to be shite or someone is sold.

If he wasn’t an ex player everyone would be watching him at HSV thinking he was very poor. I really wanted him to do well, but always felt he was more a cult hero for them than an actual solid player.
Check out his stats at Hamburg 2nd best defender in the league. If he had been playing last four games based on goals conceded when he did play they would probably have been promoted.

Check out his stats at Hamburg 2nd best defender in the league. If he had been playing last four games based on goals conceded when he did play they would probably have been promoted.

He started well at HSV and looked to fit right in. Ultimately he wasn’t good enough in the long wrong, if HSV want to reach Bundesliga they need better than David Bates. He would be a good signing for a Motherwell or something.

Think in the future he may be a Darren McGregor figure. People seem to remember him as twice the player he was.

The guy knew he wasn't going to be a regular in our Rangers squad and the opportunity to try your luck at a big European club (albeit one who's struggling a bit) is to be commended.
I wish young Master Bates all the very best in the rest of his career!

Interesting if correct.....

Reports had suggested he could leave the Bundesliga 2 side but Record Sport Online understands they aren't true.

David Bates is still in Hamburg's plans despite reports in Germany suggesting he could leave.

Record Sport Online understands that the former Rangers defender is still a huge part of Dieter Hecking's plans and won't be sold this summer.

German outlet Bild had reported that Bates was one of five players who was told he wouldn't be part of future plans.

Hamburg were frustrated not to achieve instant promotion back to the Bundesliga last season but Bates received plenty of praise for his performances at the heart of the defence.

His form in the second tier of German football even earned him Scotland caps as he picked up four over the course of the campaign.

Earlier this year, the 22-year-old was linked with moves to Arsenal and Everton among other Premier League clubs.

A return to Scotland would be more unlikely. Bates started his career at Raith Rovers wherehe had loan spells at East Stirling, Brechin and Rangers before completing a permanent move to Ibrox.

He played 28 times, scoring one goal, for Rangers before his move to HSV.

Reports had suggested he could leave the Bundesliga 2 side but Record Sport Online understands they aren't true.

David Bates is still in Hamburg's plans despite reports in Germany suggesting he could leave.

Record Sport Online understands that the former Rangers defender is still a huge part of Dieter Hecking's plans and won't be sold this summer.

German outlet Bild had reported that Bates was one of five players who was told he wouldn't be part of future plans.

Hamburg were frustrated not to achieve instant promotion back to the Bundesliga last season but Bates received plenty of praise for his performances at the heart of the defence.

His form in the second tier of German football even earned him Scotland caps as he picked up four over the course of the campaign.

Earlier this year, the 22-year-old was linked with moves to Arsenal and Everton among other Premier League clubs.

A return to Scotland would be more unlikely. Bates started his career at Raith Rovers wherehe had loan spells at East Stirling, Brechin and Rangers before completing a permanent move to Ibrox.

Good to hear, if this is the case.

If he played with HSV and Gerrard signed him as someone the vast majority of our fanbase would know very little about, he would be rated. As alot of our fans are doing with our new signings who have barely got their foots in the door with no real foundation to their judgements.

Bates has shown in the time he had here that he can play in the big games, he can clear a ball convincingly and command the area he is defending very well. Possibly a few weaknesses at times although he isn't half as bad as you would be made to believe by reading this thread.

Let's see what the new signings are capable of before comparing them to someone who did reasonably well here. Bigger named and better signings have failed here. We trust Gerrard but that's not to say his signings are going to do a successful time here.

All of the above.

I hope this is true.

He was good for us and would’ve been a more than able backup last season.

The posters that appear to be revelling in the news of him leaving HSV earlier in this thread are absolutely pathetic.

All of the above.

An unused sub yesterday in the 2-2 draw with Anderlecht, he was signed as a squad player at hsv and expected to fight for a place in the first team then papadopolous got a big injury then bates fitted in at right back, couple of horror shows early in the season losing at home to kiel 0-3 and regensburg 0-5 but he kept his place. He's known as the ginger Ramos affectionately in Hamburg due to him being the total opposite of Ramos, i missed very few hsv games last season and as loved as he is the team needs massive improvement and bates along with sakai and van drongelen at the back need shipped out.
Good luck to him wherever he goes

I hope this is true.

He was good for us and would’ve been a more than able backup last season.

The posters that appear to be revelling in the news of him leaving HSV earlier in this thread are absolutely pathetic.
Defensively he was a very good young player and I always maintained that if he could improve his possession and use of the football he would do just fine as a centre back.
I am sure that he would be given every encouragement in these vital criteria for a continental central defender in Germany.

At 22 he is still very young for a centre-back.
Davie Weir at the same age was playing for Falkirk and I would have fallen down laughing if someone suggested he would cut it at Ibrox back then.
Davie was still five years away from a Scotland cap.

Young Bates has plenty of time, his career is doing just fine.

Last edited:
An unused sub yesterday in the 2-2 draw with Anderlecht, he was signed as a squad player at hsv and expected to fight for a place in the first team then papadopolous got a big injury then bates fitted in at right back, couple of horror shows early in the season losing at home to kiel 0-3 and regensburg 0-5 but he kept his place. He's known as the ginger Ramos affectionately in Hamburg due to him being the total opposite of Ramos, i missed very few hsv games last season and as loved as he is the team needs massive improvement and bates along with sakai and van drongelen at the back need shipped out.
Good luck to him wherever he goes
Hamburg need to get promotion back to the league they belong in, so developing young players whilst undertaking such a vital task can be a risky business.
The important measure for Bates is whether or not he showed improvements through the season on the parts of his game that were so evidently week?

I like Bates. Always thought he had the chance of a decent Rangers career.

However, unless he’s significantly improved at Hamburg he wouldn’t get near our first team. Suggest at this stage of his career he needs to play week in week out.

Hope he does well whatever happens.

Former Rangers defender David Bates is reportedly a target for Wigan on deadline day - with QPR also sniffing about the Scotland international.

The 22-year-old is out of the picture at hamburg just a year after moving to Germany. Earlier this week QPR boss Mark Warburton was quoted as interested in Bates.

But, according to the Sun, the stopper will join Wigan ahead of the 5pm deadline down south.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back