David Bates told to find a new club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lad is good young defender and will have no problem in finding a club.
I hope he does well wherever he goes.
A Scottish international with experience of playing for two huge clubs, yet he’s pish

Always thought he had an air of self belief far beyond his actual ability and people like that always get found out in the end.

Fair play for having the guys to move abroad but I suspect he'll end up at the hearts / killie / sheep level.

Far from it. He's a down to earth guy. A Rangers fan (obviously not staunch) who moved abroad to better himself. Some of the comments on here about him are ridiculous but that's FF for you and it is a Friday night as well.

FFS literally just arrived at my Hamburg hotel and going to the Hamburg vs Anderlecht game tomorrow as well as the pre game family festival. Kids were hoping to meet him at the autograph signing session after the game.

Alves had the credentials, however he was another over paid player that took the dough never turned up and ran.

Anyway , how’s your old pal Pena?

Alves turned up and got benched for Danny Wilson by a kiddies coach.

Not a clue how or where Pena is but I was genuinely pleased to see Pedro win the Mexican Cup with Cruz Azul a couple of weeks ago. We have moved on and progressed under Gerrard but I'm delighted for Pedro that he's doing well.

FF is mental at times.

The outrage of when he didn't stay with us.

He goes to Germany and has a great experience in taking one of good sides back into the top league.

So, the reckoning on here is that he was not good enough for a promotion side in Germany but will be league 1 in England or am average team in Scotland.

Bates could play in the top end of the championship easily.

We shouldn't dismiss one of our former players.

FF is mental at times.

He goes to Germany and has a great experience in taking one of good sides back into the top league.

So, the reckoning on here is that he was not good enough for a promotion side in Germany but will be league 1 in England or am average team in Scotland.

Players at the top end of the championship move for £7m-£8m.

They aren't released on a free and told to find a new club by the teams they are with.

Sorry to hear that news.
He did a decent job for us at a difficult time and was brave enough to try something different. No place at Ibrox now but I hope he finds a decent club, maybe low English championship or in League 1.
That's my feelings on him,never really got how people got so upset about losing him at the time to be honest.
He would have been ok to have in the squad last year but we needed better. Fair play for having the balls to go abroad which not enough young British players will do,it didn't work out for the boy but at least he had a go.

Good luck to him

FF is mental at times.

Im not a huge fan but agree he could play in the championship as that league is full of average players.

HSV didn't get promoted btw mate. They're a bit of a mess

Seemed to make a promising start! Good experience for the lad, still could go on and have a decent career

He should sit out his contract and make sure if he leaves his agent shows good you tube videos.
He’s not very good in my opinion.
He hit the jackpot when Hamburg offered him a deal

To think before Gerrard came I thought Bates was worth keeping. In the space of 12 months we have a defence made up of Goldson, Katic, Helander and Edmundson.

Can see him ending up at Aberdeen or Kilmarnock.
We have moved on at a pace that`s astounding us all.
It`s brilliant to witness. :cool:

Haha. I've plenty knowledge mate. I suggest you're the one who lacks knowledge if you think Weir just became a great player later on. He was always a top player. He was on Smith's radar for years first time around and we had a top defence at that time.

No idea why you've recounted Weir's career path to me either. I'm well aware of it.

Starting late as a professional doesn't mean he wasn't a top player until later on in his career.

Bates will have nothing like the career Weir had althought I really hope he does.

You said he played in the EPL most of playing life, he didn’t. It’s factually incorrect, he was a late bloomer.

You can’t dispute this. I’d suggest you stop embarrassing yourself

Alves turned up and got benched for Danny Wilson by a kiddies coach.

Not a clue how or where Pena is but I was genuinely pleased to see Pedro win the Mexican Cup with Cruz Azul a couple of weeks ago. We have moved on and progressed under Gerrard but I'm delighted for Pedro that he's doing well.
Good on you.
Caixinha was an unmitigated disaster for our club , never ever forget that
Whilst I’m at it, Alves struggled to command a .place prior to the introduction of Murty,who in turn was useless
Anyway how’s Dalcio, Herrera etc getting on?

He was one of those players that you were really relieved when someone was 1-1 and he ended up defending it ok. As opposed to being confident that he will dominate the situation.

His positioning is a bit suspect & hes rubbish on the ball but decent enough at defending. He would do a job for another SPL side or maybe a lower end Championship side / decent league 1 team

Good on you.
Caixinha was an unmitigated disaster for our club , never ever forget that
Whilst I’m at it, Alves struggled to command a .place prior to the introduction of Murty,who in turn was useless
Anyway how’s Dalcio, Herrera etc getting on?

You think Alves struggled to command a place under Pedro?

You said he played in the EPL most of playing life, he didn’t. It’s factually incorrect, he was a late bloomer.

You can’t dispute this. I’d suggest you stop embarrassing yourself

You aren't half getting worked up over nothing my man. Settle yourself.

He started playing professionally at roughly 22/23 if I recall correctly. He went down south at 28 or 29 then came back at 36 or so, so yeah, ok, perhaps my use of the word "most" was out by a year or two but it doesn't change the point I was making. For a few years before he went down south he was highly rated by a few clubs- ourselves included. He was a late starter but not a late bloomer. He was a top, top player. Bates, unfortunately, is not.

Additionally, the Hearts team he played in was one of several internationalists and even had ex UEFA Cup winners in it. They pushed us and Celtic for a large part of the season we went for 10 and took the Scottish Cup from us.

Quite why you started with wee personal insults I'm not sure. But youre barking right up the wrong tree if you think I just threw my comment about Weir always being a top player out there without any knowledge of his career mate.

I will repeat- Weir was a late starter but not a late bloomer. He was a player who was admired for almost all of his career.

Bates would get nowhere near our first team and it was a truly bizarre decision for Hamburg to sign him. Fair play to the guy for getting that move.

Bates vs Goldson
Bates vs Katic
Bates vs Hélander
Bates vs Edmundson

We good? Let us never speak of David Bates again.
I hope they are better, but until any of them put in an outstanding individual performance at the piggery in getting any kind of result, nothing is proven in that regard.

I assume all of the posters telling us he’s not very good tune into Hamburg games every week? Impressive if so.

A year is a long time in football. Players improve. He could be a totally different player and person from the one that left Glasgow. He may not be part of this manager’s plans but that doesn’t mean he won’t be part of someone’s.

I hope he goes on to have a great career.

He isn't a bad defender for our level (as in SPFL Premier League) and will likely find a side either in Scotland's top flight or the 2nd or 3rd tier in England and do ok.

There’s folk on here who thought he was some sort of superstar. They’ll be scratching their heads at that piece of news.

Absolutely loving the "not surprised" brigade on here :D

Last season this place was raving about him, he was a mainstay for Hamburg at the time.

I always got the impression people weren’t aware of Hamburgs relegation and genuinely thought he was a mainstay in a Bundesliga side

Nothing against him but it shows was a joke the national team is when a player that's not particularly great in the 2nd bundesliga is getting called up but no Rangers players are

Not good enough for us but I respect he went abroad and tried to make a go of it. Mediocre SPFL team or lower Championship/League one now I reckon.

This hasn't been confirmed officially.
For what it's worth he had a fairly mixed season and was in and out of a pretty terrible HSV side. Van Drongelen would be a much bigger loss but I don't think many would blame him (or anyone else, really) for leaving.

Many predicted this when he left us and some argued he'd be a star. Wish him well but he is not great from what I seen at Gers

Davie Weir played in the English Premier League most of his career, having been linked with a lot of top clubs before going there. He didn't just blossom late on. He was a top player.
no he didnt played with Falkirk then Hearts , had a couple of seasons at Everton and came back up the road .

I’ve no ill will towards Bates , but it’s indicative of how poor we were back then that we rated him highly .

Rangers have left him far behind

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back