David Bates told to find a new club

Status
Not open for further replies.
The revisionism in this thread is hilarious. Most of us were saying it was a mistake letting him go to Hamburg now all of a sudden he is a numptie.

The lad is 22 with a lot to learn but never let us down any time he played and in fact was outstanding in a couple of our bigger games.

He will go on to have a good career - no doubt down in England.

I'd like to see him stay abroad.

He has limited options in Scotland that would be worthwhile for his career, England he'd be looking at lower Championship.

I say that as someone who has no ill feeling towards him and would like to see him carve out a good career especially as I've heard he's a Rangers fan (even if he's not good luck to him)

No revisionism but I can say from the very first moment I seen his very first touch I knew he was not very good

The Daily Record say it isn't true. I think he performed well for us and was a miss when he got injured against Celtic. He has also performed well for Scotland.

I think David Bates is potentially a top quality CH. good luck to him wherever he may end up playing.

Its not about being Beckenbauer. But constantly struggling to make a 10 yard pass is a problem for a modern CB when the game is built around playing from the back.

He never struggled with the 10 yard pass. His problem was the 40 yard pass because the centre mids were shite. Davis and Kamara would have solved his problem by being available for a 10 yard pass.

Its not about being Beckenbauer. But constantly struggling to make a 10 yard pass is a problem for a modern CB when the game is built around playing from the back.
Goldson certainly ain’t the greatest at passing the ball but he makes that up with his positioning and I feel that’s the same with Bates.

He never struggled with the 10 yard pass. His problem was the 40 yard pass because the centre mids were shite. Davis and Kamara would have solved his problem by being available for a 10 yard pass.
It was. He would come to the halfway line, attempt a 10 yard diagonal pass down the wing and boot the ball out. Time and time again.

He was a competent enough defender for us but thats all.

Goldson certainly ain’t the greatest at passing the ball but he makes that up with his positioning and I feel that’s the same with Bates.
The first few months of last season Goldon would ping balls the length of the pitch no problem. The Goldson Switch.

I dont think hes pulled it off since. Goldsons overall game dipped when Worrall came in because i dont think Goldson trusted him. Bates could clear a cross well but no more than that. He stood out for a few games because thats what we were lacking at the time. We had Alves who was seemingly scared to make a tackle and Russell Martin who still gives me nightmares.

Wish him all the best unless he sells his soul and signs for Celtic, Aberdeen, hibs or Dundee United...then he can go %^*& himself :))

Sheep or Hearts type signing.

Defend deep and send it long.

He seems like a good lad. Not the standard we need now.

Thought he was fine for us.

Served his purpose - outperformed players like Cardoso who cost us a shit load more money.

Good luck to the Lad. At least he had the balls to give his dream a go. Hope he finds a decent club to settle at.

Quite glad he is staying because if he was released I could see another spl team signing him and he would do well

A decent player that reads the game well but not as good as any of our 4 cb’s in my opinion

Consistently said he was a bang average (at best) defender who became a superstar only when he chose to leave us.

Well done to the boy for having the guts to try abroad hope he stays on the continent and continues his football education. As for his time with us I thought he was limited but he gave 100% unlike some.

As they say football is a funny old game ....he was raw, but gave his all when he had the blue jersey on. We now have much better defenders and heading a different direction. Good luck son.

I never quite understood the Bates / Wilson / Martin debate. Lots of people got really exercised about whether X was better than Y etc when it was patently obvious that none of the three of them was remotely good enough for Rangers. It didn’t take Gerrard long to figure out that the collection of centre halves we had was brutal and needed cleared out (I know Wilson went before the end of the season before Gerrard arrived). Thank goodness we are, under Gerrard and after a 7 year interlude, back to watching a Rangers team which has proper centre halves. Good luck to Bates but he never was and never will be of the calibre we need.

Sheep or Hearts type signing.

Defend deep and send it long.

He seems like a good lad. Not the standard we need now.
Fair summary. I liked him, but that was in relation to the kiernan/Wilson/cardoso/Martin shitfest we had to endure.

Bates is a good wholehearted defender who gives his lot in every game he plays. He is a long way from being a top notch centre half but he is a good professional who would fit in well at most Scottish Premiership clubs.

Worked hard and was a very solid defender for the short time he was in our first team.

Cannot understand the attitude towards him on this thread at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back