David Bates

I watched Hamburg a fair amount over the season there and you could see a difference in their defence when he never played, very solid at times and has won the support of the fans over there. Fair play to him for moving abroad and doing good for himself.
As a centre back he has time on his hands to become the finished article.
The playing time and coaching in a country renowned for turning out quality centre backs will give him a fantastic platform to learn his trade.
If he uses his chance well and optimises every opportunity available to him, then he will do just fine.
I thought defensively he was a very well attuned player and the weakest part of his game was the technical part, if he gets to grip with that he will be back in the Scotland side soon enough.

Disappointed he left but we've improved the position. Would have definitely got a decent amount of games this season if he stayed

He was still quite raw but I don't think he was any worse than Worral & we also wouldn't be on the hunt for one now if he'd stayed but water under the bridge regardless. Still, glad he's doing well.

I watched Hamburg a fair amount over the season there and you could see a difference in their defence when he never played, very solid at times and has won the support of the fans over there. Fair play to him for moving abroad and doing good for himself.
I know a lot of hamburg fans and he certainly hasn't filled them with confidence

Loved the bears , one of them players you don’t realise what your have until they’re gone , abit like Waghorn in my opinion

Never got the Bates hype and he fųcked off the first chance he got after 5 minutes here.

The only conclusion i can come to is we were so awful that season, anyone approaching average seemed like a world beater. We require much better than the likes of Bates if we want this club back at the top like the old days.

Good luck to him, but we have 2 centre backs at a whole different level, and hopefully bringing in a couple more.

Loved the bears , one of them players you don’t realise what your have until they’re gone , abit like Waghorn in my opinion

What are you on about. He would be nowhere near our team now. It was more a sign of the times we considered him the best of the bunch.

Waghorn was brutal too.

he wasn't good enough before he left, but maybe after 3 years playing in Germany he might improve enough to come back to us in a few years

I watched the majority of their games and thought he was shite. So were the other ten players to be fair.

I watched a few games he played in this year, yes he had very good games, but others, well not so good.
In fact he was sent off and booked quite a few times.
Either injured or not selected for a few near the end of season.

Bates improved significantly over the time he was in the team. Who's to say this would have not continued and become an important player for us.. As it stands he would be a decent back up option but not first pick.

Should've been a defensive option in our squad for many years to come. Held us together last year and him going off injured early in the 2-3 Old Firm game at Ibrox was a major turning point in the game.

Back