David Brewster, Limavady, RIP

mdingwall

Administrator
David died this morning in his office, a massive heart attack is suspected.

I got to know him roughly 40 years ago when he was involved at Queens University in the Ulster Unionist Student Organisation which produced a lot of great literature for distribution on the mainland.

Over the years we kept in touch - he was a great Rangers and Linfield fan and visited Ibrox many times. He was also a keen Northern Ireland fan and would in time become the Secretary of Limavady United FC, his hometown club.

Just last week I send him a wee bundle of old Northern Ireland programmes and an antique map of County Londonderry.

David was a great friend and pupil of the late Edgar Graham and it was Edgar's memory which I think cemented his political activism. He would serve as Honorary Secretary of the Ulster Unionist Party for a while before joining the DUP.

As his political profile grew I remember talking to him and urging him to be careful with his personal security as it was certain the Provos would be keeping and eye on him. He simply said, "A lot of good people have had to make that decision, and I've made mine."

Behind an almost courtly reserve there was great fun in Davie and he had a wicked sense of humour.

David was an active Christian, something he took from his father who had been Session Clerk of his church. He also took from his father a great interest in local folklore and history presenting papers to the Roe Valley Historical Association.

Late last year he published a book on 19th Century Orange Orangeism in Limavady - https://www.followfollow.com/forum/...ge-order-in-glasgow.97796/page-4#post-7640665

He'll be sadly missed by those who knew him.

Rest well my old friend.

"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith."

ZOGQuwV.png

6PtTdJr.png

Gw8e2Wq.png

Never met the man but had heard of him. Visited the Orange Heritage Centre & museum in Limavady a couple of years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an involvement in that wee gem.
Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Last edited:
His first love in Scotland was actually Dundee as he kept constantly reminding me! A sad loss and such a shock! I'm not so sure he would have appreciated RIP all the same.

Man was fit as a fiddle walked every where he led general committee on august parades when Gc finished he went and met his own club bellerena and walked it again

Was shocked to hear that this afternoon . Was speaking to him before the season stated when Limavady hosted Colerine in a pre season warm up . Huge fan of his hometown club and was joking with him about them being an excellent wee feeder club for Coleraine .Too young and so sad to lose him
He has for many years been a sword bearer for the Apprentice Boys general committee and he'll be a big loss to all the organisations he was involved in .
Sleep well fellow bear

He was a gentleman who represented our Orange Lodge in a land dispute a few years back. Couldn't do enough for us.
RIP David

David R Brewster – A tribute by Alderman James McCorkell

Sometime in the future, a student of late twentieth century political history in Northern Ireland will be researching for their doctorate. They will naturally turn to the primary sources for information and will be obliged to turn to the clutch of histories that have been published in recent years. History has to record, but also to place records in their proper context. Hence it is important to know when a decision was taken, but just as important to understand why it was taken. No doubt that student of the future will come across the numerous writings of David R Brewster. They will pour over the many pages of history, which he meticulously researched, recorded and subsequently published in one form or another of Limavady United Football Club, Orangeism in Limavady District and Ulster-Scots greats like William Ferguson Massey and Rev John Graham.

David Brewster was someone who was somewhat of a giant in the family that we know as the Loyal Orders. An Honorary Deputy Grand Master and Legal Advisor to the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland. He was also Legal Advisor to the General Committee of the Apprentice Boys of Derry Association, Worshipful Master of his own beloved Private Lodge, Aghanloo True Blues LOL 656 (he referred to 656 as Ireland’s premier Lodge) and Secretary of Bellarena Apprentice Boys of Derry No Surrender Branch Club. A member of the Royal Black and a supporter of all the local bands… the best in his opinion was of course that wee band dressed in blue from Aghanloo… he was of course, very biased… but loyal to them all in every way.

David was just 10 years older than me, yet he seemed to have been around for a lifetime before. He was a member of the Ulster Unionist Party and was elected to the Northern Ireland Forum in 1996. He subsequently left the UUP, then made his way through the other Unionist parties but never gave up his interest in politics, though I often joked with him that he’d fall out with himself, even he if started his own party. He had strong and resolute views on the Union and Northern Ireland’s place within that Union. He was always there for advice, night or day, and I’m proud to say he agreed to sign my election nomination papers at the last Local Council elections.

His services weren’t just limited to Orangeism and Unionism. He was a Past President of the Roe Valley Chamber of Trade and a strong advocate of local businesses in Limavady. He loved the Northern Ireland National football team, Linfield FC, Dundee FC and although he didn’t like to admit it, Rangers FC. With all his heart and by far the most, he loved more than anything, his local team, Limavady United Football Club of whom he was Vice Chairman for many years. His greatest ambition was one day to be named on the team-sheet – an ambition he achieved – though not a ball was kicked! His cheeky bid to sign Carlos Tevez for the Roesiders almost 10 years ago was reported world-wide! His unique and familiar voice and his sense of humour from the PA system at the Showgrounds will be sorely missed. Our Saturday away days together will be greatly missed. His presence will be greatly missed.

He was a faithful member of his church in Magilligan and had great plans for his retirement to the original family homestead when the time would come. Alas, His Lord and Saviour called him home on January 20th2021 – a year David himself was looking forward so much to with it being the Centenary of his beloved Northern Ireland.

I will sorely miss David as a friend and a Brother. He helped so many in his short lifetime, in so many ways and we will all remember him as a Great Son of Limavady. The opening lines of this tribute where actually penned by David himself, for one less worthy of them, so I felt them appropriate on this sad occasion. I close this tribute, also with his own words… again, just slightly altered to fit…

David sets a high standard for others to follow. Sadly, there is one flaw in the research that will render it of little value to that student of the future - the failure to explain that the David Brewster whose name appears in so many contexts of the Orange, Unionist and Protestant cause and indeed across the wider Limavady community, is actually only one person. The future historian will be sceptical that one man could do so much and believe that there must have been three men with the same name. They will therefore mistakenly discount the accuracy of the work they are reading. Limavady has almost become used to David Brewster’s astonishing commitment, but that does not mean we appreciate it any less... Nor does it mean that we will miss you any the less David. We will always remember what you did for us all in your short lifetime and in your own humble and quiet way.

Till we meet again in Glory… “Ne Cede”

From Nigel McFarland

Today Limavady paid its respects to David Brewster as he made his journey to his final resting place at Magilligan Presbyterian Church.
There have been numerous tributes paid to David and he will be sorely missed by his family, friends, and the many organizations, and groups he belonged to.
These photos were taken at the request of the family and posted with the permission of the family.

2zuTU9L.png

The cortege slowly passes David's Offices on Main Street, where representatives of some of the organizations David belonged to paid their respects.

what wonderful tributes to a really great man, just reading these makes me feel that he lived a great productive life and was loved by so many RIP Condolences to the family

Remember reading your posts last year and thinking that some people lead very interesting and active lives and this man certainly managed that. I don't know how he found the time. Well done him for leading a fruitful life. RIP

Last edited:
"He was my friend, faithful and just to me"

https://postimg.cc/T55RcSgw][/URL]

BOOK REVIEW - A LIFE WELL LIVED - ESSAYS IN MEMORY OF DAVID BREWSTER

The book has nine chapters and covers aspects of David’s life and about topics which interested him. Local history, sport in Limavady, the city of Londonderry, memories of David, politics in the 1880s, local church history and Irish Presbyterianism. It’s a wonderful tribute.

A book has been published in David’s memory and to raise funds of chest, heart and stroke research.

Copies can be bought through eBay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165621788577

Or you can make arrangements with Aaron Callan by email - aaroncallan@live.co.uk

I got to know David roughly 40 years ago when he was involved at Queens University in the Ulster Unionist Student Organisation which produced a lot of great literature for distribution on the mainland.

David was a great friend and pupil of the late Edgar Graham and it was Edgar's memory which I think cemented his political activism. He would serve as Honorary Secretary of the Ulster Unionist Party for a while before joining the DUP.

As his political profile grew I remember talking to him and urging him to be careful with his personal security as it was certain the Provos would be keeping and eye on him. He simply said, "A lot of good people have had to make that decision, and I've made mine."

Behind an almost courtly reserve there was great fun in Davie and he had a wicked sense of humour. This book will help to keep his memory alive.

Back