David Hill (At Rangers FC 1872)

thevietnambear

There is a article in the Evening Times about the start of Association Football in and around Glasgow.

It states that a David Hill was also involved at the Founding of Rangers together with the Gallant Pioneers.

I've never heard of this name or involvement can Moonlighter or Gordon shine any light on this guy?

It's hard to find any great deal of information on him at all from what I remember when, I looked it up a while back. Sure I read one piece that said he joined 1875, and another that said like yourself a founding member. Hopefully someone knows more.

Earlier thread, even the same bad Slade jokes! As you can see, he was certainly around in 1873, but first appeared for Rangers in 1875

There is a article in the Evening Times about the start of Association Football in and around Glasgow.

It states that a David Hill was also involved at the Founding of Rangers together with the Gallant Pioneers.

I've never heard of this name or involvement can Moonlighter or Gordon shine any light on this guy?
DAVID HILL Born Perth 1885- Died 3RD February 1920 (Aged 61)

Appearances 42 Goals 15

Debut Vs Queen’s Park on 30/09/1876 in Scottish Cup (H 4-1)

First Goal Vs Possilpark on 06/10/1877 in Scottish Cup (H 13-0)

HONOURS

Scottish Cup Runner-Up 1876-77

Glasgow Merchants Charity Cup 1878-79 (Our First Trophy)

Scotland International Caps 3

A most unselfish players was David. He was slow, but sure, and if ever a man showed an example in the field by at once passing the ball when necessary, and never opening his mouth from kick-off to time-call, it was he. One of the prominent figures all through quite a decade for his old club. David rendered the Rangers valuable service, and never failed to turn up when he was wanted. In the final Association Challenge Cup match with the Vale of Leven. The Scottish Cup was played shortly before the Charity Final in which I’m touching upon, and which ended in a tie, some splendid passing was witnessed between him and Mr. Wm. Dunlop, who, who by the way could not play in the Charity due to the consequence of an injury sustained a week before.

Well, it was on Tuesday evening 20th May 1879, that the battle come off on Old Hampden Park, and both the Rangers and Vale of Leven mustered in strong force, lovely weather helped swell the crowd, and some 12,000 people were inside the ground. The Vale of Leven scored almost at once by Mr. Dougall, and this looked like the prelude to victory. The Rangers, however, set their teeth, and before the contest closed vanquished their powerful opponents by scoring a couple of goals-one by Mr. Struthers, and another out of a scrimmage. Final score 2-1 and our FIRST TROPHY was won.

A couple of years ago the final resting place of Rangers player David Hill in an East Kilbride cemetery. This weekend restoration work has been carried out and a memorial plaque placed at the base.

David Hill was born in 1858 in Perth. He joined Rangers in 1875 and played with the Club until 1884. He’s pictured here with his Rangers team mates in that iconic photograph from 1877.

David went on to become a Scottish Internationalist and gave the club many years of service.

David was employed as a Turkey Red salesman and lived at 17 Main Street East Kilbride. His house was above the two shops pictured that he owned.

David Hill married a Jane Isobel Campbell Storer on the 2nd June 1904. He died on 3rd February 1920 at 4 Ann Street Glasgow aged 61.

David saw Rangers grow from that fledging club born in a Glasgow park into Ibrox and huge attendances.

As we continue to celebrate our 55th Title we remember David Hill.

David Hill is buried in East Kilbride cemetary and his grave was restored by the founders trail .
He stayed in a house opposite the Calderwood Inn. He played for Rangers from 1875 but was involved in an administrative roll from the earliest days of the club.
That’s outstanding info well done. Is East Kilbride cemetery near the old rolls Royce factory?

Back