David Holmes (150th Anniversary)

Göteborg-Rangers

Probably been discussed before, but having listened to the first few episodes of the Souness series on Heart and Hand it got me wondering if the club had thought about the likes of David Holmes in regards to this seasons celebrations.

He must be a fair age now and long retired but he played a massive part in our recent history and for me, and most I'd guess, it's important that people like him are mentioned this season or at least invited to be part of the celebrations/events.

Who knows, maybe he has been asked and feels he is to old to take part/not interested but as much as he gets rightly talked about you never see or hear from him (which again could be how he likes it).

Probably been discussed before, but having listened to the first few episodes of the Souness series on Heart and Hand it got me wondering if the club had thought about the likes of David Holmes in regards to this seasons celebrations.

He must be a fair age now and long retired but he played a massive part in our recent history and for me, and most I'd guess, it's important that people like him are mentioned this season or at least invited to be part of the celebrations/events.

Who knows, maybe he has been asked and feels he is to old to take part/not interested but as much as he gets rightly talked about you never see or hear from him (which again could be how he likes it).
Totally agree. A very important part of our history.

Very important name in our history.
if you were naming a hall of fame from our history, he’d have to be there.

Mid to late 30s when Souness arrived was he not?
Must've had a hell of a life before that if he was mid-30s looking like this:

5Qe2lzf.jpeg

I think @hobbes asked him to contribute and he decided not to, so he's unlikely to be involved in official celebrations.

Bring the tan man back so he can take a bow in front of his adoring public. We can only hope that he deems us worthy of his presence.
Maybe we could construct a temporary catwalk down the middle of the pitch during the celebrations - Zoolander Bain could strut his stuff like the glory days, strike some Blue Steel poses.

Genuinely thought he was far younger at the time than he was then.

Found him on companies house. Born in 1935!

Always assumed he was absolutely no more than his early 40s at a guess in 1986 when Souness arrived.

There you go, then.

I think @hobbes asked him to contribute and he decided not to, so he's unlikely to be involved in official celebrations.
Yeah a bit of a frustrating one. He was very keen - felt the questions I was asking were the right ones - but when he found out that the project went beyond his time, i.e. into Murray’s, then he pulled back. Basically didn’t want to be part of anything that involved him even in discussion.

Sadly that’s not really how history works - you have to compare with what went before and after - but there we are. He should be far better remembered and his contribution better understood - hopefully I’ll still manage to capture enough of that - but he’s not one these days to seek the limelight so I’m not sure we’ll see much of him in the celebrations.

Great shout in my opinion Goteborg.

Holmes, walter, ally and terry attended a supporters club function at Kilsyth Academy 86/87.
Excellent the club sent such high profile people.

Yeah a bit of a frustrating one. He was very keen - felt the questions I was asking were the right ones - but when he found out that the project went beyond his time, i.e. into Murray’s, then he pulled back. Basically didn’t want to be part of anything that involved him even in discussion.

Sadly that’s not really how history works - you have to compare with what went before and after - but there we are. He should be far better remembered and his contribution better understood - hopefully I’ll still manage to capture enough of that - but he’s not one these days to seek the limelight so I’m not sure we’ll see much of him in the celebrations.
A real shame. My memory - which might be flawed - is that Murray got rid of him straight away (he ended up at Falkirk?).

A great Ranger who played such a big role in the Souness revolution. Always remember him roasting the Scottish press for asking Chris Woods (I think) what religion he was.

He, at the very least, needs an official mention.

Correct, in combination with Lawrence Marlborough he laid the foundations of much that followed.
Wasn’t the biggest fan of John Lawrence in his time as Chairman, much L.M. did a lot to “redeem the family name” as it were.

Thanks Cahoochie.

My recollection is that Marlborough felt a family responsibility to get the club back to Rangers standards.

And he couldn’t have chosen a better man to do it.

A man befitting of a Rangers chairman. No nonsense, no fan fare, just a good old Protestant work ethic and a desire to see Rangers back at the top, and succeeded.

Back