David Marshall gives an insight into Heart and Hand

I really can’t for the life of me understand where the notion that fan media is too close to the club comes from. I can only hazard a guess it’s pure unadulterated jealousy. Besides, even if they were in bed with the club what’s so bad about that? It’s better than reading ‘news’ from people who are in bed with our enemies.

i guess there’s just no pleasing some people. They have to be contrary by nature.

Some people cannot stomach the success of others because they think they are important.
The H & H team have worked very hard over a long period of time to produce so much material that it’s hard to keep up at times.
The reason for the success is that hard work and dedication.
Equal kudos to @mdingwall and team for all your hard work in keeping this forum going and continuing to make it relevant and interesting.
it really is incredible to reflect on how far this forum has come since I first posted here around 1999. It’s also quite scary to think that some posters weren’t alive then.Those were the days of the ‘free internet’ before big media and advertisers clued into it. Mark deserves a great deal of credit for not only weathering the many storms along the way but for keeping the product free. Whether I care to admit it or not, FF has been a big part of my life due mainly to the amount of time I spend on here.

I need to get listening again.

I really didn't give all the new podders a proper chance & fell away from it as the tactics pods etc. aren't really my thing (I know myself, I'll be in the minority though).

Loved listening to David, Hoggy, Alexander Staff, Cammy & obviously in the early days we had the big controversial deviant Scot.

I would love David & Scot to get back together for a weekly show talking all things Homosexual & Gigi Becali.

Last edited:
Scottish football fans are the worst severed anywhere in Europe for MSM coverage of the game.

Not sure why the entire industry though it was a good idea to go down the path they did but with fan media taking over then it's all worked out for the best, apart from them.

It's almost like selling a product then deciding to make that product utter shite while also deliberately antagonising your customer base is maybe not the best idea.

Fhannies.
This. There are no actual journalists now, just guys who 'cover the old firm'. You simply don't read serious articles about youth football, decline in domestic game, Celtic paedophile scandal, or anything else. There are no 3/4 page articles combining investigation, superb writing, righteous anger and a desire to do good.

Last edited:
If H & H was a sycophantic podcast I would understand the concerns. However, since I started listening in 2012, I have found it to be critical when required.
This is spot on ,they are fans but not uncritical. Great pod and glad an old duffer like me got round to signing up for it. Really good and interesting ,that Heart and Hand ,4 Lads and the Athletic gives me all the info I require

Great pod and as a £7.99er it’s excellent value and I don’t need to go anywhere else, except on here, to find what’s going on with the Rangers.

This is spot on ,they are fans but not uncritical. Great pod and glad an old duffer like me got round to signing up for it. Really good and interesting ,that Heart and Hand ,4 Lads and the Athletic gives me all the info I require

You my friend are the reason print media doesn’t get it. a journo said to me ‘older guys won’t mess around with online stuff’. Yet another example of them underrating their audience.

I’m waiting for the impending back lash from the MSM for Rangers offering the latest exclusives to H&H and other fan lead forums. They will be plotting to belittle H&H and I’ve no doubt the sectarian card will be played. These rags are like cornered dogs now and the pandemic has only accelerated their downfall. They will lie, plagiarise and mis quote in order to make headlines and sell a few more prints or get some clicks. They will approach total moonhowlers for opinions on their pieces.

The recent piece on the Sunday Mail on Sunday was all of the above. For me it was much more cynical-the Editor signing off that piece knew that Rangers have received a cash up front payment from Castore as part of the new merchandise deal however also knew that the Castore Founder was interviewed solely on Club & supporter media forums. So by making up no upfront payment was received it was a way of squaring up to the likes of H&H, 4lads, FF by questioning their accuracy. There was only one winner there!

H&H for me is a double edged sword-the content is such high quality and well produced however there is just so much to choose from and it’s often a dilemma for me what to listen to in my spare time :) I trust the likes of Hoggy, David and Cammy etc implicitly as stand up Rangers men. When news breaks I just wait for the Daily update, it’s lazy yes but I rarely disagree with what they are saying.

In short I’m just delighted we have these forums within our support and I do think if such a thing does exist from the events of 2012 something good has happened. A batch of highly focused and capable journalists and podders came to the front. Well done and keep up the great work.

Really odd the number of podders who share names with footballers. I think there’s a David Marshall, Stuart McCall, James Forrest, and even Edgar himself played full back for Newcastle. Any more?

I've listened since day one. The pod has evolved a great deal over the years. From the beginning when they gave you the result of the match then just called each other a poof for an hour, to this amazing platform they operate now. Much kudos to David, Hoggy and the rest of the guys (and girls). It is great value and it is one of the very few places I go to for my Rangers news.

Anyone who says the guys always agree obviously hasn't been listening for long. In fact there were fewer more critical of McCoist's managerial stint than David. I remember it getting quite bad, but that's only because they care. And that's another plus point, these guys care about the same things we do.

Keep up the good work H&H

Oh and as a C/E subcriber, sort me out with a ticket for the next live gig :)) ;)

Last edited:
This. There are no actual journalists now, just guys who 'cover the old firm'. You simply don't read serious articles about youth football, decline in domestic game, Celtic paedophile scandal, or anything else. There are 3/4 page articles combining investigation, superb writing, righteous anger and a desire to do good.
Certainly something I've tried to give as much coverage as possible in the last few years - and there are a few others who do far more.

I've listened since day one. The pod has evolved a great deal over the years. From the beginning when they gave you the result of the match then just called each other a poof for an hour, to this amazing platform they operate now. Much kudos to David, Hoggy and the rest of the guys (and girls. It is great value and it is one of the very few places I go to for my Rangers news.

Anyone who says the guys always agree obviously hasn't been listening for long. In fact there were fewer more critical of McCoist's managerial stint than David. I remember it getting quite bad, but that's only because they care. And that's another plus point, these guys care about the same things we do.

Keep up the good work H&H

Oh and as a C/E subcriber, sort me out with a ticket for the next live gig :)) ;)

You guys get presale link!

The MSM have clearly just decided to go down in a blaze of glory (in their own heads).

Circulation dwindling year on year and yet there's a stubborn determination to just keep on going and a refusal to change.

H&H are right to point out their blatant bias but they must also be delighted at how self destructive their competitors are.

The way that professional journalists now whore themselves for clickbait and trawl Twitter for content whilst some random punters come up with insightful analysis and content that people actually pay money for is as hilarious as it is fucking tragic.

love heart and hand, i'll listen to them and their news anyday of the week over the mainstream pish that is inferior in quality (Which tells you a lot when guys sitting in a room in their house can outstrip the guys who call journalism a career!)

Only drawback is more and more they are rippin' the knitting right out of my misophonia slurpin drinks and eating their dinners while podding! :mad::D

There was one pod that had potential.

Basically the stevie g story... His whole career...

But the two guys who did it

One was eating crisps all sorts

I binned that pod.

Generallly though its great

Really odd the number of podders who share names with footballers. I think there’s a David Marshall, Stuart McCall, James Forrest, and even Edgar himself played full back for Newcastle. Any more?
Derek Johnston was on the Alan Bradley show. He was very good.

I love heart and hand and I trust David Edgar to not turn into a patsy for the board, but can’t remember any of the regular podders disagreeing with him.

Andy McGowan and Alex Staff are probably the only 2 who seem to formulate their own opinions.

I know this is not what you are saying but I also don’t think we should be looking for people taking the board to task just because that’s something fan media is supposed to do- as a subscriber I’d find that tiresome. I don’t think the board are perfect but they’re up against a lot and don't deserve to be pilloried.

The original podcasts with David and Scott were brilliant and kept getting better. Years of work there before it became a subscription. I think the range and quality of content on the subscription is exceptional. David Edgar is a natural broadcaster and the
supporting cast is really good and getting stronger all the time. The two you mention happen to be my favourites. They always both have a reasoned position on whatever they talk about. Alex is brilliant on the tactics show in my view. The way he analyses a game puts football journos shame and that’s not meant to damn with faint praise.

Heart and Hand is absolutely brilliant for us Rangers fans. And for the Daily Record lurkers I was once a daily reader rain, hail or shine. I bought your paper regardless of how Rangers were playing. I would go walking for miles in Spain or Greece on holiday looking and hoping to find somewhere that I could get my paper even if it was 2 or 3 days old news. That passion is long gone and you have only yourselves to blame for losing good loyal customers like myself. You chose to demonise our club and people and for that fact I look forward to when you are no more.

Power to Heart and Hand.

What a brilliant reference to how we used to view the record and one I'm sure many of us reading your post can identify with. As far as I'm concerned the fault lies with the recruitment process which facilitated a national daily paper to be staffed and influenced by so many perversely bigoted people. Clearly this has brought the now sorry mick rag to the point of extinction.

Like you say power to Heart and Hand.

Thanks overlord.

It had such potential.

Can I correct something here, I was the guy on episode 2 and episode 3 and I can confirm there was no crisps, sweets or any chewing of any sort. There was on Episode 1 and that annoyed me too. I wonder if it did not progress beyond episode 3 was because any time I was asked a question "do you remember the time Chelsea done this or do you remember who Liverpool played in the quarter final" I would answer "No, I don't remember that at all!" If I was better prepared or had researched it more, I am sure it would have made for a better pod.

I would still like to hear someone else pick it up because also think it would be a good series.

The heart and hand content has got me through this lockdown. Some great pods on there got me through the boring afternoons.
I like the idea of the club giving out exclusives such as the Hagi exclusive to fan based media. Great to see the reaction of some of those in the MSM after that exclusive, topped of with Graeme Spiers greetin on Twitter today :))

Heart and Hand is absolutely brilliant for us Rangers fans. And for the Daily Record lurkers I was once a daily reader rain, hail or shine. I bought your paper regardless of how Rangers were playing. I would go walking for miles in Spain or Greece on holiday looking and hoping to find somewhere that I could get my paper even if it was 2 or 3 days old news. That passion is long gone and you have only yourselves to blame for losing good loyal customers like myself. You chose to demonise our club and people and for that fact I look forward to when you are no more.

Power to Heart and Hand.
Me too mate, loved newspapers, all types, would walk miles on holiday to get a chance of one.
Never buy one now or get any delivered to the house, pods and websites do the job. Love H&H too. Live shows are excellent.

I love H&H but yeah. This does my nut in too. Maybe petty in the grand scheme of things but my :D:D is pretty bad to the extent that if I ever do happen to kill someone it’ll be because they crunched Their food too loudly near me.
The eating/drinking thing has been noted and all have been told to ensure no repeats!
There was one pod that had potential.

Basically the stevie g story... His whole career...

But the two guys who did it

One was eating crisps all sorts

I binned that pod.

Generallly though its great
That was why that show ended prematurely.
I rermember that Gerrard pod, i ditched it as well as it was driving me up the wall.

I love H&H and it's been a brilliant escape at work during lockdown when i get a break. I put on a pod and chill out and disconnect for however long i get, but can you imagine having misophonia, having airpods/earphones in and the very things that set it off are going on right in your ear? :eek::)) when the cans are poppin, the drinks are slurpin' and the dinners getting munched like a tramp on chips?... There were times i came off my break even more stressed!! :D

The other half (no pics) called me at work the other night and she was having dinner and i'm like NO...not happenin', speak to you later!!, hung up!:D

Glad i'm not alone and glad the guys and girls at H&H are addressing it.

Now i can go back to being the miserable bastard i am without my disorders:p

I've seen a few on Twitter have a go at the club for using fan media. How can people be so blind.

Rangers have been in a battle with the media with what feels like forever now. All we ask for is fair and balanced reporting. They choose to constantly stick the boot in, twist words or just completely make up stories.

Most recently the Daily Record's siding with the SPFL/Celtic over the complete and utter farce that was the end of the 19/20 season and also Club 1872 forcing a retraction out of them over a made up story was the final straw for many. The tabloids have made their bed and deserve to die a slow painful death.

I don't see it as a risky game ignoring the tabloids any more, their relevance is evaporating. The days of every man buying a paper in the morning is fizzling out.

Fan media and platforms like The Athletic are the future. We don't want sensationalism or lies. We just want the truth and analysis.

Well done to the fans who have earned the clubs trust with some fine work over the last few years. No one can say David Edgar won't hold anyone to account, one of the only men who criticised David Murray at the height of our successes.
The Gub was very vocal against Murray, i was one of the ones who trotted out the oft repeated line about not complaining when we were winning things, which was a huge example of naïvety on my part for not comprehending the issues.

I know this is not what you are saying but I also don’t think we should be looking for people taking the board to task just because that’s something fan media is supposed to do- as a subscriber I’d find that tiresome. I don’t think the board are perfect but they’re up against a lot and don't deserve to be pilloried.

The original podcasts with David and Scott were brilliant and kept getting better. Years of work there before it became a subscription. I think the range and quality of content on the subscription is exceptional. David Edgar is a natural broadcaster and the
supporting cast is really good and getting stronger all the time. The two you mention happen to be my favourites. They always both have a reasoned position on whatever they talk about. Alex is brilliant on the tactics show in my view. The way he analyses a game puts football journos shame and that’s not meant to damn with faint praise.

I pay the full subscription but I really only listen to the update and the flagship, mostly due to a lack of time. I tend to skip ones David isn’t on.

The original flagship was my favourite but I do miss Scott. His patter was strange and used to have me in stitches.

There was another guy on one night that I didn’t necessarily agree with but I thought he made some good points and wasn’t afraid to be a bit different and articulated his points well. I’ll try and look back and see who he was. I think it’s good to challenge some points now and again just to get some more rounded explanations and to get people to go a bit deeper in their reasoning, but I do agree that people who are contrarian all the time can be tiresome.

I’ve never really gave any of the other pods a listen but I'm making this up as I need attention: quite a lot of good things about 4Lads.

Can I correct something here, I was the guy on episode 2 and episode 3 and I can confirm there was no crisps, sweets or any chewing of any sort. There was on Episode 1 and that annoyed me too. I wonder if it did not progress beyond episode 3 was because any time I was asked a question "do you remember the time Chelsea done this or do you remember who Liverpool played in the quarter final" I would answer "No, I don't remember that at all!" If I was better prepared or had researched it more, I am sure it would have made for a better pod.

I would still like to hear someone else pick it up because also think it would be a good series.

I'll be honest

I only listened to the first 20 ish mins of episode 1

The crisp eating etc went through me

With so much content on there only the good stuff gets listened to

I pay the full subscription but I really only listen to the update and the flagship, mostly due to a lack of time. I tend to skip ones David isn’t on.

The original flagship was my favourite but I do miss Scott. His patter was strange and used to have me in stitches.

There was another guy on one night that I didn’t necessarily agree with but I thought he made some good points and wasn’t afraid to be a bit different and articulated his points well. I’ll try and look back and see who he was. I think it’s good to challenge some points now and again just to get some more rounded explanations and to get people to go a bit deeper in their reasoning, but I do agree that people who are contrarian all the time can be tiresome.

I’ve never really gave any of the other pods a listen but I'm making this up as I need attention: quite a lot of good things about 4Lads.
I’m the same as you mate in that there’s just not enough time to listen to all the content. I listen to the update, the post match, the preview with Alex when it was on, the tactics one with Adam but then only occasional random bits. Thought David Graham was also good before he moved on.

I think if we did hear more of the content we may catch different views but you’re right that challenge can sometimes be illuminating.

A lot of those original pods with Scot were just laugh out loud funny in places.Top-class stuff.

Euro hangover with James is always good, especially the the europa league previews with the opposition guests like Jorge!

I'll be honest

I only listened to the first 20 ish mins of episode 1

The crisp eating etc went through me

With so much content on there only the good stuff gets listened to
If i remember rightly think that was the show where the presenter hadn't heard of David Ginola:eek:

Back