David Murray interview and promises from 1992

You'd have to put a gun to the heads of the English teams to take part. Then they'd put out a reserve / youth team combo. Which would still be good enough to win it probably.

EPL teams don't even take the FA and League Cups seriously. Which for those of us old enough to remember what the FA Cup was in the 70s and 80s says it all. They are certainly not going to go all in for what they'd see as a Mickey Mouse trophy
I don’t really disagree, I just feel that the easiest way to our league improving/increasing revenue is to somehow tap into the EPL money and perhaps becoming more a feeder league for them (the smaller teams) or what I don’t know. If England had more interest in us I think our tv deals would increase and everything with it.

Wow.

David Murrays legacy is 2012 and nothing else. Ran the club into the ground and bailed out without so much as a glance back. Happy enough to offer up Rangers on a plate to protect his other interests.

We had a relatively small debt, millions of pounds of assets and were running at a profit when he sold us for a pound to a shyster. Nobody with any standing would touch us due to a potential tax liability of millions due to a scheme he was warned against and implemented anyway.

I don't believe we were lucky. Far from it.
So by that logic we just completely erase nine in a row from memory then?

I've as much condemnation for Murray for his handling of our financial affairs as anyone else, but he was also custodian of the club during our years of unparalleled success. You cannot say then in all honesty that 2012 was his only legacy.

So by that logic we just completely erase nine in a row from memory then?

I've as much condemnation for Murray for his handling of our financial affairs as anyone else, but he was also custodian of the club during our years of unparalleled success. You cannot say then in all honesty that 2012 was his only legacy.
Legacy by definition is what you leave behind. David Murray took over a Rangers in good health, primed to become the dominant force in Scotland. Celtic were on there knees.

Would we have won 9 titles on the bounce if we had someone other than Murray? Maybe, maybe not. Would we have still been the dominant side in the country? Almost certainly.

His actions led to 2012 and nearly a decade without a trophy. If you really want to give him credit for a 9 in a row, you can credit him with celtics unchallenged one.

It's astonishing that there are Rangers supporters that are willing to give him a pass. If you were offered the next 9 titles right now, but you had to take insolvency and liquidation at the end of it, 3rd division all over again, would you do it?

Legacy by definition is what you leave behind. David Murray took over a Rangers in good health, primed to become the dominant force in Scotland. Celtic were on there knees.

Would we have won 9 titles on the bounce if we had someone other than Murray? Maybe, maybe not. Would we have still been the dominant side in the country? Almost certainly.

His actions led to 2012 and nearly a decade without a trophy. If you really want to give him credit for a 9 in a row, you can credit him with celtics unchallenged one.

It's astonishing that there are Rangers supporters that are willing to give him a pass. If you were offered the next 9 titles right now, but you had to take insolvency and liquidation at the end of it, 3rd division all over again, would you do it?
What's astonishing is the fact you've deliberately omitted the bit where I told you "I've as much condemnation for Murray for his handling of our financial affairs as anyone else" but yeah, I'll give him a pass as you say for the earlier part of his tenure. For his manipulation and control of media, for his open contempt for a club forever in our shadow, and their lasting resentment of that to this very day, for his brand awareness, globally recognised sponsorship, for bringing international appeal to Rangers.

Our greatest manager (certainly in my lifetime) is quoted with saying "David Murray has only Rangers best interests at heart" I'm quite sure if he were alive today he would give you a pretty stern argument of why our nine in a row triumph wasn't solely down to a poor c****c!

Admit it or not Murray's drive and ambition (however ill advised that was long term) sanctioned the signing of some of the most incredible players we're ever likely to see in royal blue. Players who were previously out with our reach. I don't recall too many complaints about the chairman when we were running riot in this country either. Watching Rangers lift trophy after trophy gave hundreds of thousands of supporters the world over their best ever football memories. Maybe you could share with us how miserable and deeply worried you were at that particular time?

I don't forget how difficult that period since 2012 was lightly and you're right ,Murray was directly responsible, but there's no point in carrying that bitterness around forever more either. That behaviour is something I'd associate more with the manky mob.

Last edited:
What's astonishing is the fact you've deliberately omitted the bit where I told you "I've as much condemnation for Murray for his handling of our financial affairs as anyone else" but yeah, I'll give him a pass as you say for the earlier part of his tenure. For his manipulation and control of media, for his open contempt for a club forever in our shadow, and their lasting resentment of that to this very day, for his brand awareness, globally recognised sponsorship, for bringing international appeal to Rangers.

Our greatest manager (certainly in my lifetime) is quoted with saying "David Murray has only Rangers best interests at heart" I'm quite sure if he were alive today he would give you a pretty stern argument of why our nine in a row triumph wasn't solely down to a poor c****c!

Admit it or not Murray's drive and ambition (however ill advised that was long term) sanctioned the signing of some of the most incredible players we're ever likely to see in royal blue. Players who were previously out with our reach. I don't recall too many complaints about the chairman when we were running riot in this country either. Watching Rangers lift trophy after trophy gave hundreds of thousands of supporters the world over their best ever football memories. Maybe you could share with us how miserable and deeply worried you were at that particular time?

I don't forget how difficult that period since 2012 was lightly and you're right ,Murray was directly responsible, but there's no point in carrying that bitterness around forever more either. That behaviour is something I'd associate more with the manky mob.
Don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally to be honest mate. And I never said our 9 in a row was down to celtic being shite, not sure if you deliberately misinterpreted that or you couldn't quite get your head around it. I simply pointed out that Murray came along at a good time. Whoever came in at that time had everything in place for years upon years of success. The state he left us in speaks volumes about his ability to run a football club.

We signed some terrific players in the 90s. It's easy to write cheques when it's someone else's money you are spending. We also wasted probably 10s of millions on players that for whatever reason we never got anything out of. As we were routinely embarrassed in Europe, it could be argued that we never got value for money. I was 16 in 1999, I never questioned it. It's the job of the custodian, as you called him, to operate the club. As I recall, anyone who dared question him wasn't kept around very long.

As out spending everyone worked so well in the 90s, it was kept going even after celtic had managed to get their house in order. Bankrolling Advocaat for a couple of league titles and more European disappointment led to an overdraft of around 85m quid. Ebts, (of which David Murray was the largest recipient, a mere 6m quid of Rangers money,) were introduced to maintain a edge over celtic who were now turning over more than us. Fivers and tenners wasn't just a throwaway quote, it was the only strategy Murray had. Once he'd sold all the equity he had to King, Enic and so on, he started selling our catering and merchandise departments. The bank had to come in and take control of the club ffs. At the same time his own empire was up shit creek. His last act as custodian was to sell a world famous institution for a pound. Worth remembering that despite the trail of destruction he left behind, he made out fine. He's still a very, very wealthy man. It wasn't his money that went down the tubes.

That's it in a nutshell. A legacy is what you leave behind for future generations. He left us nothing. Maybe fans remember him fondly from the 90s because he was more than happy to put himself front and centre in those halcyon days. Rangers didn't sign players, Murray did. Rangers were a vehicle for his ego. "If you want to increase your profile, buy a football club." Haven't heard a peep from him in a decade. No reasoning. No apologies. No mea culpa.

Aside from the tragedies that cost lives at Ibrox. David Murray is the worst thing that happened to Rangers ever. By a distance. Good riddance.

Don't know why you seem to be taking it so personally to be honest mate. And I never said our 9 in a row was down to celtic being shite, not sure if you deliberately misinterpreted that or you couldn't quite get your head around it. I simply pointed out that Murray came along at a good time. Whoever came in at that time had everything in place for years upon years of success. The state he left us in speaks volumes about his ability to run a football club.

We signed some terrific players in the 90s. It's easy to write cheques when it's someone else's money you are spending. We also wasted probably 10s of millions on players that for whatever reason we never got anything out of. As we were routinely embarrassed in Europe, it could be argued that we never got value for money. I was 16 in 1999, I never questioned it. It's the job of the custodian, as you called him, to operate the club. As I recall, anyone who dared question him wasn't kept around very long.

As out spending everyone worked so well in the 90s, it was kept going even after celtic had managed to get their house in order. Bankrolling Advocaat for a couple of league titles and more European disappointment led to an overdraft of around 85m quid. Ebts, (of which David Murray was the largest recipient, a mere 6m quid of Rangers money,) were introduced to maintain a edge over celtic who were now turning over more than us. Fivers and tenners wasn't just a throwaway quote, it was the only strategy Murray had. Once he'd sold all the equity he had to King, Enic and so on, he started selling our catering and merchandise departments. The bank had to come in and take control of the club ffs. At the same time his own empire was up shit creek. His last act as custodian was to sell a world famous institution for a pound. Worth remembering that despite the trail of destruction he left behind, he made out fine. He's still a very, very wealthy man. It wasn't his money that went down the tubes.

That's it in a nutshell. A legacy is what you leave behind for future generations. He left us nothing. Maybe fans remember him fondly from the 90s because he was more than happy to put himself front and centre in those halcyon days. Rangers didn't sign players, Murray did. Rangers were a vehicle for his ego. "If you want to increase your profile, buy a football club." Haven't heard a peep from him in a decade. No reasoning. No apologies. No mea culpa.

Aside from the tragedies that cost lives at Ibrox. David Murray is the worst thing that happened to Rangers ever. By a distance. Good riddance.

Murray had many faults, but tbf to him, he had moved his debt around his companies, and lowered the debt of Rangers to a manageable level, before the financial crash took his heavily leveraged 'empire' down.
Rangers were perfectly sustainable, when he sold to Craig Whyte. That action was his unforgivable one, in my eyes. I know personally that he was warned about CW, and he ignored that advice, as the banks wanted RFC and the 20M odd debt we had at the time, off-loaded.
The whole EBTs issue was overblown by the media, but CW is an out and out crook, and he's the more guilty party here, followed by Green and his cronies.

Murray had many faults, but tbf to him, he had moved his debt around his companies, and lowered the debt of Rangers to a manageable level, before the financial crash took his heavily leveraged 'empire' down.
Rangers were perfectly sustainable, when he sold to Craig Whyte. That action was his unforgivable one, in my eyes. I know personally that he was warned about CW, and he ignored that advice, as the banks wanted RFC and the 20M odd debt we had at the time, off-loaded.
The whole EBTs issue was overblown by the media, but CW is an out and out crook, and he's the more guilty party here, followed by Green and his cronies.
White, Green, Ashley, the Easdales, the 3rd division, Ian Black, the Motherwell playoff, regularly pumped in Old firms, celtic winning 20 odd trophies in a decade, the list is endless.

The bleakest period in our history and it all ties back to the £1 sale. The bank may have been putting him under pressure to sell but nobody held a gun to his head, it was a choice. He threw Rangers to the wolves, knowingly, because it was in HIS best interests. He was warned about CW and done it anyway.

There's no way to split his tenure in half, there's only Rangers pre-Murray and post-Murray. We are still trying to recover from the mess he created over a decade ago.

White, Green, Ashley, the Easdales, the 3rd division, Ian Black, the Motherwell playoff, regularly pumped in Old firms, celtic winning 20 odd trophies in a decade, the list is endless.

The bleakest period in our history and it all ties back to the £1 sale. The bank may have been putting him under pressure to sell but nobody held a gun to his head, it was a choice. He threw Rangers to the wolves, knowingly, because it was in HIS best interests. He was warned about CW and done it anyway.

There's no way to split his tenure in half, there's only Rangers pre-Murray and post-Murray. We are still trying to recover from the mess he created over a decade ago.

Not disagreeing, I'm pointing out that IF he sold to people with Rangers interests as priority, 2012 onwards would not have happened, and his legacy would be generally positive, with a few negatives.

Not taking anything personally pal trust me on that one. When you say things like you find it astonishing people don't share your thoughts however, it does come across a bit arrogant to say the least. Also, you clearly place very little emphasis on the good, and it was f***ing good for such a long long time. I find that a bit curious tbh. Hope you get your head around that.

I remember being about 15 when there was a load of speculation about a British League and my old man said, “they’ve been talking about that since I was your age”..

It just isn’t ever going to happen. I believe Sky could have pushed it through around 2003 or so but the money in the EPL now, and the reduced power that Sky has over the league mean that the time has well & truly passed.
The most likely way it will come about is political intervention imo.
Tony Blair was interested in the idea, and I think if a political leader was actually wishing to regulate football in a way that permitted the largest clubs access to the largest league in the country - albeit probably at a lower level in the pyramid to begin with - then I think it is conceivable that Rangers and Celtic playing in the same league as Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal is a possibility.
Some way off, but with a government having the bigger picture in mind.. it is not inconceivable.

If the Rangers board had people with its interests at heart in 2011-2013, one wonders if the unilateral jump was possible then. The Conference North would have probably extended the invitation if the economic case was put forward to members.

He didn't put in a penny of his own money. He simply moved debt from one of his companies and added it to the mountain of debt he was building at MIH. An empire of debt built on nearly a billion quid of other people's money. And when it blew up in his face, it wasn't Rangers he was desperate to save. Couldn't get rid quick enough.

To think the Knighthood he received was for services to the business sector. At least they had the common sense to take Fred Goodwins back.
Exactly.

Not disagreeing, I'm pointing out that IF he sold to people with Rangers interests as priority, 2012 onwards would not have happened, and his legacy would be generally positive, with a few negatives.
I think the unraveling of the financial mess that Murray had created by effectively shifting debts between his companies would have come out in the end regardless of who bought Rangers.

David Murray was utterly reckless with Rangers from around 1998 - there were understandable pressures to compete with English clubs for players, and a resurgent Celtic under O’Neill (a Celtic whose corporate governance and processes far surpassed those at Ibrox) but he started taking chances on transfers and on the application & level of use of the EBT scheme in particular.
By 2010, Lloyds had him over a barrel and he would have sold Rangers to anyone willing to take on the mess that he had created.. he needed to sell to anyone willing to take that on before they went for his other businesses.

Just an opinion after reflecting on it over the last few years but the fact that the club was bought by and then passed around utter conmen who saw the massive suppprt base as a potential cash cow might have brought it all to a head sooner than if genuine Rangers supporters had bought in and then spent fortunes trying to address the debts and lack of investment.
There was a decade of shenanigans to rectify and going directly into meltdown could well have meant we avoided years of keeping the lights on and meandering towards a similar conclusion.

I think the unraveling of the financial mess that Murray had created by effectively shifting debts between his companies would have come out in the end regardless of who bought Rangers.

David Murray was utterly reckless with Rangers from around 1998 - there were understandable pressures to compete with English clubs for players, and a resurgent Celtic under O’Neill (a Celtic whose corporate governance and processes far surpassed those at Ibrox) but he started taking chances on transfers and on the application & level of use of the EBT scheme in particular.
By 2010, Lloyds had him over a barrel and he would have sold Rangers to anyone willing to take on the mess that he had created.. he needed to sell to anyone willing to take that on before they went for his other businesses.

Just an opinion after reflecting on it over the last few years but the fact that the club was bought by and then passed around utter conmen who saw the massive suppprt base as a potential cash cow might have brought it all to a head sooner than if genuine Rangers supporters had bought in and then spent fortunes trying to address the debts and lack of investment.
There was a decade of shenanigans to rectify and going directly into meltdown could well have meant we avoided years of keeping the lights on and meandering towards a similar conclusion.

There's a misconception that Rangers were in dire straits when Murray sold.
The club was not, but Murray was.
Rangers had a completely manageable debt (aro 20M), but they had the EBT cloud hanging over the club. The fact that HMRC and the authorities would not cut a fair deal with RFC, was criminal, considering what the club meant to so many taxpayers, and what they were doing elsewhere in the UK.

We should have been allowed to settle with HMRC for say 10M, sold a couple of players to cover it, and all would have been fine.
Instead, the press scare-mongered, deterring bidders, and Murray looked after himself, selling to the charlatan CW. The SFA and SPFL also knew what Whyte was, and were happy to look on and do nothing.

One issue that still rankles with me, is that during the admin to liquidation phase of the MIH Group, Murray managed to shift a bunch of massively undervalued property assets to his family holdings company, run by his boys. Knowing the man, he will have bribed some insiders to allow this to happen, but the UK taxpayer took a hit of 500M odds, whilst Murray remained wealthy via these property assets. It's white collar criminality, that should have seen him in jail, but there's a lack of willingness, or deep rooted corruption in Scotland, that has let him get away with it.

Don't disagree.

At the end of the day, like most narcissistic egomaniacs, he would always do what was best for David Murray, when backed into a corner, which he was, and it's too late for him to make amends now.

I'd like to see him brought to account for his white collar crimes, including the fraudulent asset transfers, and the defunding of the MIH pension fund, whilst feathering the nest for his boys (and his) future.
The guy's a fraud, one that's crossed the line and gotten away with it. Scotland seems to be completely incapable of holding these types of criminal accountable. Our once respected judicial system stumbles from one failure to the next. Or maybe the corruption runs into the system?

Reactions: ao2
Not taking anything personally pal trust me on that one. When you say things like you find it astonishing people don't share your thoughts however, it does come across a bit arrogant to say the least. Also, you clearly place very little emphasis on the good, and it was f***ing good for such a long long time. I find that a bit curious tbh. Hope you get your head around that.
I do find it astonishing that there are David Murray supporters out there after everything that happened as a direct consequence of his tenure at Rangers. I would reckon it would be a view held by the majority of fans but don't ask me for numbers, I haven't conducted any polls or anything. It's just my opinion. If you're going to get upset about a strangers opinion on a public forum, maybe the Internet isn't for you.

And I don’t put much emphasis on the good because everything that happened from the moment Craig Whyte gave him a pound negates it. Like how nobody gives a %^*& how good a running back OJ Simpson was anymore.

At the end of the day, like most narcissistic egomaniacs, he would always do what was best for David Murray, when backed into a corner, which he was, and it's too late for him to make amends now.

I'd like to see him brought to account for his white collar crimes, including the fraudulent asset transfers, and the defunding of the MIH pension fund, whilst feathering the nest for his boys (and his) future.
The guy's a fraud, one that's crossed the line and gotten away with it. Scotland seems to be completely incapable of holding these types of criminal accountable. Our once respected judicial system stumbles from one failure to the next. Or maybe the corruption runs into the system?
Mate, rich people don't go to jail.

I always remember when We Bought Flo, My Old Man said to me, It’s OK having Debt, but when your spending that kind of Money, You have to make sure that Your Debt is Manageable, Cause if the Shit hits the Fan , Your F**ked!! To sell us to CW was Criminal!! It was well know He Was an Asset Stripper, then Green & Ashley & all the Spivs, the Pain has never gone away!!

I always remember when We Bought Flo, My Old Man said to me, It’s OK having Debt, but when your spending that kind of Money, You have to make sure that Your Debt is Manageable, Cause if the Shit hits the Fan , Your F**ked!! To sell us to CW was Criminal!! It was well know He Was an Asset Stripper, then Green & Ashley & all the Spivs, the Pain has never gone away!!
Rangers debt was manageable when DM sold to CW, under £20 million I think. The issue was Murrays companies owed about 1 billion to Lloyd's. And the problem for Rangers was not the debt the club had but the potential liabilities with EBTs.

Lloyd's also wanted away from football clubs.

Rangers debt was manageable when DM sold to CW, under £20 million I think. The issue was Murrays companies owed about 1 billion to Lloyd's. And the problem for Rangers was not the debt the club had but the potential liabilities with EBTs.

Lloyd's also wanted away from football clubs.

Correct, and the potential liability was overblown in the media, as was confirmed in the final settlement.

The Govt still should have stepped in and made HMRC settle with RFC, as they had done with other clubs.

It was a travesty that we went into admin and then the liquidation of the company. All completely unnecessary and avoidable. Nothing to do with unmanageable debt, the DM sale gave a crook access to our funds.
Once Whyte and then Green & Co got their filthy hands into the coffers, we were well and truly fuk'd over, and we're still paying the costs with the Ashley 'deals'.

Bang on.

Still cringe at the interview he gave where he stated that " for every £5 they spend we will spend £10 ". Absolute shyster of a man.
That bit us all on the arse, look how they overtook us on and off the pitch, they were a complete and utter shambles and now financially are streets ahead of us.
The disaster apart Murray is the worse thing to ever happen to Rangers.
He also done away with our ztrue Traditions.

Still cringe at the interview he gave where he stated that " for every £5 they spend we will spend £10 ". Absolute shyster of a man.
That bit us all on the arse, look how they overtook us on and off the pitch, they were a complete and utter shambles and now financially are streets ahead of us.
The disaster apart Murray is the worse thing to ever happen to Rangers.
He also done away with our True Traditions.

Still love the idea of the corners being filled tbh!

In fairness to him, we did actually do this. The article is from 92, and the corners were done in 94. And in the article, he said it would be based on Genoa's ground, with very few seats. Which is what we got.

In fairness to him, we did actually do this. The article is from 92, and the corners were done in 94. And in the article, he said it would be based on Genoa's ground, with very few seats. Which is what we got.
Yeah, I think we could do the corners properly between main stand and across, with vehicle access underneath where required and add in a lot of seats.

He didn't put in a penny of his own money. He simply moved debt from one of his companies and added it to the mountain of debt he was building at MIH. An empire of debt built on nearly a billion quid of other people's money. And when it blew up in his face, it wasn't Rangers he was desperate to save. Couldn't get rid quick enough.

To think the Knighthood he received was for services to the business sector. At least they had the common sense to take Fred Goodwins back.
Wasn't it the bank who forced Murray to sell the club to Whyte. I also remember Smith saying in an interview that the bank was running the club.

Mention of Flo saves me making a new post.

On Mastermind tonight (it's just finishing)

A question to a female on her specialist subject; Chelsea.

Q - In 2000 Chelsea sold Tore Andre Flo to Rangers for £12m. Who did they buy him from for £300,000 three years earlier?

A - Brann.

A financial genius indeed. Just not for us.

Back