David Weir interview in The Sun

Bonnyloyal

Three years after walking out as a player for the final time, he returned to Ibrox as the club’s assistant manager in the summer of 2015.

But following the acrimonious split in February last year, Weir hasn’t been back.

Even now, more than 18 months later, the Gers legend can’t say with any certainty he ever will be.

That’s not because he’s still bitter about the way it all ended for him at Mark Warburton, that’s just how it is. Weir, it seems, has finally moved on.

He revealed: “I have not been back since I left.

“I don’t know if I will go back, you can never say never, but I hope to go back at some point in the future. There are still so many good people at the football club.

“It’s a great club and it’s great to see them back in Europe. I don’t regret anything other than the way it ended.

“I went in there with my eyes open and I will still argue with anyone that we did a good job.

“We didn’t always get it right, it wasn’t always perfect, but it’s part of Rangers’ history that we took the club back to the Premiership.

“There were so many problems when we came in. I remember where we were when we got the job.

“We had very few players, we had finished third in the Championship.

“I watched the play-off game against Motherwell, I was there and there was a lot going on.

“It was disarray if truth be told. Real anger and real unhappiness. Players were kicking off and there was a lot of baggage and bad news.

“It was a big job just to steady that and turn it around. Mark has to take a lot of credit for that.

“He created a brilliant working environment, established a winning mentality and instilled discipline back into the club.

“I think we both carried ourselves with dignity — that’s how I have always been. Actions speak louder than words.”

Yet there have been some harsh words written about Weir on the Gers messageboards.

Following his exit, some fans claimed he’d somehow tarnished his iconic Ibrox image. Surely now they would agree they were being churlish.

Weir made 231 appearances for Rangers, scoring five goals and winning three league titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups.

He was also inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame.

The fact he continued to play into his 40s was further testament to his professionalism.

The manner of his departure for the final time will always be a nagging source of regret — but it’s something Weir cannot change.

He said: “It still hurts, it’s still raw. I think it probably always will be.

“That was the club I supported and then had the privilege to play for.

“I managed to build up a decent reputation and had good memories of my time there.

“But it has been tarnished by the nature of the way it was handled at the end. That’s life, I can’t change it.

“People are entitled to their opinion of me, but I know the truth because I was there.

“The issue in all of this was the claim, or accusation, that I had resigned. Show me the piece of paper which has my resignation on it.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it.

“It’s not just me. Look at the situation with Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace. David Bates and Danny Wilson,

“That seems to be the norm now. It’s not how I would handle it. I can’t change what some fans may think of me now, that’s a fight I am never going to win.

“But every Rangers fan I have met since leaving has been nothing but complimentary towards me. I’m sure some people do think I have tarnished my own reputation, but, like I say, that’s entirely up to them.

“The communication I have had with fans has been positive and that’s all that matters to me.

“I am a Rangers fan and I want the club to do well, which is why I will never speak ill of the club.

“It’s not my style anyway, it benefits no one.”

Weir is enjoying a new lease of life in his role as pathway development manager at Brighton.

It’s still coaching to an extent, just not with a bag of balls and cones.

With so much to offer, it would be a crying shame if this Scotland legend was never to return to the dugout.

The man himself would never say never, but for now insists he’s totally focused on his job with the Seagulls.

Weir said: “I wouldn’t say coaching is gone for me. When I got the job with Brighton, and they approached me, they were conscious of that.

“When I looked at what Brighton were proposing I really fancied it. Their concern was that I would up and leave as soon as an offer of management came in.

“I think they thought I would jump at it. But I said no, I said I would do this and do it properly.

“It’s a new role, it’s a new role for them. I have been offered a couple of things, which genuinely have been good, but I am not thinking like that.

“I am really enjoying what I am doing at the moment. I like the club, I like the culture at Brighton and I like the people I am working with. I think that is so important.

“The last few years have been a bit whirlwind, but I’m still coaching and I’m still involved in the game.

“I suppose I am happy at the moment, so why change that?

“You can never say never, but going back into management, even on my own, isn’t on my radar at the moment.

“When I am doing a job, I focus on that. That’s what I was like when I was playing and I won’t change now.”

Since Weir and Warburton left 19 months ago, Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty — twice — have sat in the Ibrox hotseat.

Steven Gerrard is now in the chair and Weir is impressed with the progress he’s made in such a relatively short space of time.

Weir added: “Getting back into Europe was a non-negotiable for them.

“What a great job they did through the qualifiers.

“You have Villarreal, Moscow and Vienna to look forward to.

“It’s all about rebuilding the Rangers brand and putting the club back on the European map.

“That is so important. European football is fundamental to Rangers. As is the league championship.

“I was surprised when I heard he’d got the job.

“It’s a risk for him going up to Scotland and into an alien environment. It was a risk for Rangers too appointing a so-called ‘rookie’ manager. But when you factor in Mark Allen and his contacts down here, and when you actually sit back and look at it, it made perfect sense.

“He’s managed to hit the ground running in terms of getting back into Europe, so things are looking up and I am delighted about that.

“I played against Stevie in many a Merseyside derby. He was driven as a player and seems driven as manager.

“He’s a massive figurehead in the country. Steven has conducted himself really well since coming in, he’s been hugely impressive.

“That’s a big part of it but so too is winning. And that, ultimately, is how he’ll be judged.

“I want him to be a success.”

HE became the first pathway development manager for Chris Hughton’s Brighton when he made his return to football in the summer.

After leaving Nottingham Forest back in December, David Weir was on the look-out for a new, diverse challenge.

In July, the Seagulls offered him one and the former Scotland international hasn’t looked back.

Weir explained: “Essentially, it’s life coaching. I visit the players on loan from the club and try and establish a relationship with them.

“Basically, I’m there to help them. I make sure that off the field everything is okay. Their flat, their accommodation, their car — their general well-being.

“I make sure everything is there for them to give them the best chance to succeed where it matters, on the park.

“It’s different, but I’m really enjoying it because it is like coaching. I enjoy working with the young boys.

“They want help and they do listen.”

Weir combines his work with a Masters degree at university.

He revealed: “I’m doing a masters in Sporting Directorship. It’s not necessarily with a view to becoming a sporting director, it’s just something I always had at the back of my mind but perhaps never had the time before.

“I’ve always tried to stay involved with my own education. It’s been really good, really interesting.

“I’m there a couple of days each month — we’re at Manchester Metropolitan.

“It can be full on sometimes, it’s demanding and it’s hard work.

“We do talks too and I don’t mind that any more. It used to terrify me when I was younger but not any more.

“It’s a two-year course and we are halfway through. I’m really enjoying it.

“I always encourage my kids when it comes to education, so it helps if I set the right example.”

AFTER two failed attempts, David Weir finally joined Rangers on January 16, 2007. Penning an initial six-month contract, the 36-year-old could never have envisaged what lay in store.

Remarkably, he would walk out of Ibrox as a Gers player for the last time on January 21, 2012. Five years and three SPL titles later.

But his time in Scotland meant time apart from his children, Lucas, Jensen, Kenzie and Ruben.

Weir said: “I’ve travelled, I’ve done ten years away from home, so yeah, perhaps I am conscious of trying to be there for my kids now. I am still travelling, but I feel more settled here because I’m back based in the family home.

“Two of my boys are into football. Jensen made his debut for Wigan last year at only 15. He came off the bench and did well.

“But he’s not a first-team player, he’s nowhere near that yet. It’s full-time, he got a two-year scholarship with Wigan, but I keep telling him he’s not a full-time footballer yet.

“My older boy is hoping to go to America and play while my daughter plays for Everton. My youngest doesn’t bother.

“I try and help them all, but only as their dad. The lads who I am working with at Brighton I treat as my own, too. I give them the same advice I give my own kids. Do the right thing for the long-term benefits.

Good article.

Never knew that he was in that role at Brighton, good luck to him.

I will never forget the service he gave to the club as a player. The less said about his departure when part of the management team the better.

He’s never bad mouthed the Cub the way Butcher has but the circumstances of his departure still doesn’t sit well with me it appears that he hitched his wagon that snake Warburton and ‘The best in the Business ‘ McPartlin and saw the £££ rather that the club he claims to love
Not for me, a great player but not the man I thought he was, a bit like Butcher.

Moved on so much that he still feels the need to do an interview about it. Not sure what’s promoted Warburton & Weir to pop up recently to give their opinions on their time at the club but what I do know is it’s extremely boring.

Great defender but cleary wasn't up to much as a defensive coach or talent spotter. Not that I want to remind anyone of our defence in the Warburton days

Like many of these things, opinions tend to be formed on who you believe when things go wrong. Kenny Miller is a recent case in point.

What Weir did for us as a player, especially at his age, was nothing short of remarkable and for that he deserves our adulation. In many ways, what he and Warburton did as a management team also looked good for a long time.

However, the end still stinks. As an earlier poster said, we’ll never know exactly what happened, but gut instinct tells me something happened that Weir and Warburton got caught out on and that will always leave a bad taste.

That’s my take anyway.

Regardless, the article is still a reasonable read.

He can say whatever he wants, Warburton & Weir tried to engineer their move to Notts Forest to prevent them having to pay £1.5mil......Dave King got a phone call from their agent and it backfired, simple as that - they got caught out!
It only still hurts Davie coz you got caught mate.....have a word with yourself! The word is honesty

It always amazes me that fans can talk with such certainty about things that went on away from the public eye.

He was a great player for us, and I appreciate him for that. I’m not going to pretend I know what went on behind closed doors.

Add Weir to the list of cunts that claims he loves the club but really only loves himself. %^*& you Davie.... hope you make a lady's front bottom of it wherever you end up

It’s still incredible to think he went on to make 231 appearances after signing for us at the age of 37. A lot of good times during those 231 appearances too, 3 in a row, 2 Scottish Cups and 3 League Cups. He was also an integral part of our Uefa Cup run in 2008 and helped Cuéllar and Bougherra become better defenders.

images

F*ck him. He’s not welcome back.

“He created a brilliant working environment, established a winning mentality and instilled discipline back into the club." - until he was found out !!

Davie Weir is probably one of those guys who is , when given a contract , job to do, he will back up the manager.

Why are we becoming so hard on guys who served us well

People saying they don’t know what happened behind closed doors etc, the guys were caught red handed trying to engineer a move to Notts Forest, they denied having ever even spoke to them, yet weeks later where do they end up? Notts Forest! Doesn’t take a genius to see they were at it, he’s only sorry he got caught.

To bring in Bates and Wilson leaving us as some sort of slur against the board is just as ridiculous. So glad he’s nowhere near our management team anymore.

Met him at, as it was then Murray Park years ago. Absolute bellend.
agree Smudger used to invite me over to Auchenhowie on a Friday for lunch and on the occasions I met him he was shocked at how obnoxious he was. they say don't meet your hero's and in this case that's true.

Considering how good he was it is obscene how bad we were at centre back under his tenure.

No doubt a great player but lacked the skills to get his understanding of the game across to the defence at the time.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any word quoted. A legend for us and another the online agitators and infiltrators try and tarnish. The man led us to a European final, picking up titles along the way whilst everyone thought he was there for the taking. A fan who performed well for Rangers. I'd love to have been in his shoes. Absolute respect for him and we really should be looking at how we overpower and limit the abuse given to the likes of Weir, Miller, Wallace, Boyd and McCoist. Every one has performed and given their all for us.

Absolutely nothing wrong with any word quoted. A legend for us and another the online agitators and infiltrators try and tarnish. The man led us to a European final, picking up titles along the way whilst everyone thought he was there for the taking. A fan who performed well for Rangers. I'd love to have been in his shoes. Absolute respect for him and we really should be looking at how we overpower and limit the abuse given to the likes of Weir, Miller, Wallace, Boyd and McCoist. Every one has performed and given their all for us.

“Try” and tarnish?

No one has to try. He did it himself when he tries to slither away with MW before denying it.

My favourite player of the last 15 years.

Hate the way it ended because I really did love Sir David Weir.

Considering how good he was it is obscene how bad we were at centre back under his tenure.

No doubt a great player but lacked the skills to get his understanding of the game across to the defence at the time.

Do you honestly think that because his name was David Weir and that he had an outstanding career he would be able to turn our centre halfs into players? They never had it, it was impossible. A blind man could tell that the likes of Karl Svennson would never develop into Terry Butcher.

Same ones on here who slaughter Davie Weir I bet are the ones who probably defend McCoist’s time as manager - also still loving McCoist into the bargain. Albeit McCoists legacy as a player is higher than Weirs, Weir himself was a massive part of our success too - none should be hated.

Nobody knows the circumstances of their departure.....if he says he didn’t resign and board say they did then it’s ones word against the other.

First and foremost he was a magnificent player for us. There is no disputing that.
But its not clear in that interview if him and Warburton were instigating a move away while still with us. However it looked like he had Warburton's back and it seems he was loyal to MW.. Maybe too loyal.
But what is interesting is him and MW no longer work together.
How come.??

to me when a player or manager is with us we should give them your full support. but when they leave thank them for what they did for us and wish them well for the future. yes are is a few exempts like John Greig, etc. but it is not somebody who played for us or managed us in the past, right how or in the future we support. it is RANGERS FOOTBALL CLUB first and foremost and every one else comes second. and the only thing I would say to David weir is. the only people I owe my loyalty to, are whose who never made me question theirs.

Right ok, here's my issue with whatever journalist this is. He says:

“The issue in all of this was the claim, or accusation, that I had resigned. Show me the piece of paper which has my resignation on it.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it."

So surely, if your a journalist, the next question is then - so tell us in your own words what did happen then? Rangers said your agent resigned on your behalf? What was going on there Davie?

How fucking hard is it to ask these questions?

Three years after walking out as a player for the final time, he returned to Ibrox as the club’s assistant manager in the summer of 2015.

But following the acrimonious split in February last year, Weir hasn’t been back.

Even now, more than 18 months later, the Gers legend can’t say with any certainty he ever will be.

That’s not because he’s still bitter about the way it all ended for him at Mark Warburton, that’s just how it is. Weir, it seems, has finally moved on.

He revealed: “I have not been back since I left.

“I don’t know if I will go back, you can never say never, but I hope to go back at some point in the future. There are still so many good people at the football club.

“It’s a great club and it’s great to see them back in Europe. I don’t regret anything other than the way it ended.

“I went in there with my eyes open and I will still argue with anyone that we did a good job.

“We didn’t always get it right, it wasn’t always perfect, but it’s part of Rangers’ history that we took the club back to the Premiership.

“There were so many problems when we came in. I remember where we were when we got the job.

“We had very few players, we had finished third in the Championship.

“I watched the play-off game against Motherwell, I was there and there was a lot going on.

“It was disarray if truth be told. Real anger and real unhappiness. Players were kicking off and there was a lot of baggage and bad news.

“It was a big job just to steady that and turn it around. Mark has to take a lot of credit for that.

“He created a brilliant working environment, established a winning mentality and instilled discipline back into the club.

“I think we both carried ourselves with dignity — that’s how I have always been. Actions speak louder than words.”

Yet there have been some harsh words written about Weir on the Gers messageboards.

Following his exit, some fans claimed he’d somehow tarnished his iconic Ibrox image. Surely now they would agree they were being churlish.

Weir made 231 appearances for Rangers, scoring five goals and winning three league titles, two Scottish Cups and three League Cups.

He was also inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame.

The fact he continued to play into his 40s was further testament to his professionalism.

The manner of his departure for the final time will always be a nagging source of regret — but it’s something Weir cannot change.

He said: “It still hurts, it’s still raw. I think it probably always will be.

“That was the club I supported and then had the privilege to play for.

“I managed to build up a decent reputation and had good memories of my time there.

“But it has been tarnished by the nature of the way it was handled at the end. That’s life, I can’t change it.

“People are entitled to their opinion of me, but I know the truth because I was there.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it.

“It’s not just me. Look at the situation with Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace. David Bates and Danny Wilson,

“That seems to be the norm now. It’s not how I would handle it. I can’t change what some fans may think of me now, that’s a fight I am never going to win.

“But every Rangers fan I have met since leaving has been nothing but complimentary towards me. I’m sure some people do think I have tarnished my own reputation, but, like I say, that’s entirely up to them.

“The communication I have had with fans has been positive and that’s all that matters to me.

“I am a Rangers fan and I want the club to do well, which is why I will never speak ill of the club.

“It’s not my style anyway, it benefits no one.”

Weir is enjoying a new lease of life in his role as pathway development manager at Brighton.

It’s still coaching to an extent, just not with a bag of balls and cones.

With so much to offer, it would be a crying shame if this Scotland legend was never to return to the dugout.

The man himself would never say never, but for now insists he’s totally focused on his job with the Seagulls.

Weir said: “I wouldn’t say coaching is gone for me. When I got the job with Brighton, and they approached me, they were conscious of that.

“When I looked at what Brighton were proposing I really fancied it. Their concern was that I would up and leave as soon as an offer of management came in.

“I think they thought I would jump at it. But I said no, I said I would do this and do it properly.

“It’s a new role, it’s a new role for them. I have been offered a couple of things, which genuinely have been good, but I am not thinking like that.

“I am really enjoying what I am doing at the moment. I like the club, I like the culture at Brighton and I like the people I am working with. I think that is so important.

“The last few years have been a bit whirlwind, but I’m still coaching and I’m still involved in the game.

“I suppose I am happy at the moment, so why change that?

“You can never say never, but going back into management, even on my own, isn’t on my radar at the moment.

“When I am doing a job, I focus on that. That’s what I was like when I was playing and I won’t change now.”

Since Weir and Warburton left 19 months ago, Pedro Caixinha and Graeme Murty — twice — have sat in the Ibrox hotseat.

Steven Gerrard is now in the chair and Weir is impressed with the progress he’s made in such a relatively short space of time.

Weir added: “Getting back into Europe was a non-negotiable for them.

“What a great job they did through the qualifiers.

“You have Villarreal, Moscow and Vienna to look forward to.

“It’s all about rebuilding the Rangers brand and putting the club back on the European map.

“That is so important. European football is fundamental to Rangers. As is the league championship.

“I was surprised when I heard he’d got the job.

“It’s a risk for him going up to Scotland and into an alien environment. It was a risk for Rangers too appointing a so-called ‘rookie’ manager. But when you factor in Mark Allen and his contacts down here, and when you actually sit back and look at it, it made perfect sense.

“He’s managed to hit the ground running in terms of getting back into Europe, so things are looking up and I am delighted about that.

“I played against Stevie in many a Merseyside derby. He was driven as a player and seems driven as manager.

“He’s a massive figurehead in the country. Steven has conducted himself really well since coming in, he’s been hugely impressive.

“That’s a big part of it but so too is winning. And that, ultimately, is how he’ll be judged.

“I want him to be a success.”

HE became the first pathway development manager for Chris Hughton’s Brighton when he made his return to football in the summer.

After leaving Nottingham Forest back in December, David Weir was on the look-out for a new, diverse challenge.

In July, the Seagulls offered him one and the former Scotland international hasn’t looked back.

Weir explained: “Essentially, it’s life coaching. I visit the players on loan from the club and try and establish a relationship with them.

“Basically, I’m there to help them. I make sure that off the field everything is okay. Their flat, their accommodation, their car — their general well-being.

“I make sure everything is there for them to give them the best chance to succeed where it matters, on the park.

“It’s different, but I’m really enjoying it because it is like coaching. I enjoy working with the young boys.

“They want help and they do listen.”

Weir combines his work with a Masters degree at university.

He revealed: “I’m doing a masters in Sporting Directorship. It’s not necessarily with a view to becoming a sporting director, it’s just something I always had at the back of my mind but perhaps never had the time before.

“I’ve always tried to stay involved with my own education. It’s been really good, really interesting.

“I’m there a couple of days each month — we’re at Manchester Metropolitan.

“It can be full on sometimes, it’s demanding and it’s hard work.

“We do talks too and I don’t mind that any more. It used to terrify me when I was younger but not any more.

“It’s a two-year course and we are halfway through. I’m really enjoying it.

“I always encourage my kids when it comes to education, so it helps if I set the right example.”

AFTER two failed attempts, David Weir finally joined Rangers on January 16, 2007. Penning an initial six-month contract, the 36-year-old could never have envisaged what lay in store.

Remarkably, he would walk out of Ibrox as a Gers player for the last time on January 21, 2012. Five years and three SPL titles later.

But his time in Scotland meant time apart from his children, Lucas, Jensen, Kenzie and Ruben.

Weir said: “I’ve travelled, I’ve done ten years away from home, so yeah, perhaps I am conscious of trying to be there for my kids now. I am still travelling, but I feel more settled here because I’m back based in the family home.

“Two of my boys are into football. Jensen made his debut for Wigan last year at only 15. He came off the bench and did well.

“But he’s not a first-team player, he’s nowhere near that yet. It’s full-time, he got a two-year scholarship with Wigan, but I keep telling him he’s not a full-time footballer yet.

“My older boy is hoping to go to America and play while my daughter plays for Everton. My youngest doesn’t bother.

“I try and help them all, but only as their dad. The lads who I am working with at Brighton I treat as my own, too. I give them the same advice I give my own kids. Do the right thing for the long-term benefits.
5lp65t.jpg

Regardless of who was in the right or in the wrong when Weir left, what pisses me off most of all is ex-players, whenever we look to have turned the corner as a club, come out of the woodwork to have a go at us.

Look at the fucking hypocrisy throughout the whole thing as well:

"I know the truth because I was there."

Fair enough if you want to dismiss the opinions of people who weren't there. They took the word of the Rangers board who they trust far more than the word of a proven liar like Mark Warburton.

"It’s not just me. Look at the situation with Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace. David Bates and Danny Wilson"

"That seems to be the norm now. It’s not how I would handle it."

Wait... how the fuck does he know? He wasn't there.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will"

You can't just keep saying this while slagging off how we've handled situations you weren't around for.

Summary: Fuck off Davie.

Moved on so much that he still feels the need to do an interview about it. Not sure what’s promoted Warburton & Weir to pop up recently to give their opinions on their time at the club but what I do know is it’s extremely boring.

Nail on head.

He was a legend as a player but obviously useless as a coach. How could such an accomplished defender have tolerated us playing Rob Keirnan and overseeing shambles after shambles at defensive set pieces - most infamously at that debacle of a Scottish Cup Final ?

When all is said and done, they were working their ticket, they were in a hole and in order to save themselves from forking out Mega money, they tried to engineer their way out of a contract that would have cost an arm and a leg, I dont know who they thought they were dealing with, but with Warburton and his background in the city, they made the mistake of taken on D. King and lost, end of story.

We deserve to know what went on when Weir and Warburton left. This is another red flag to the circumstances and something behibd the scenes...

“That seems to be the norm now.

Seems there was or is a common denominator, and it seems it was there in 2017 and is/was still there in January when Bates decided to go.

I for one would like to know what’s been going on.

Were they both not taking legal action?What happened there?Totally erased from my memory.

Haha what a pile of pish. “I know the truth”. Yeah so do we, you tried to work a move to Forrest behind the clubs back and lied to everyone in the process, this was confirmed when you were given your marching orders and conventiently showed up at Forrest a few days later. He’d have been better never saying anything about it again, all this is, is him lying and insulting everyone’s intelligence even more.

It’s alarming how many times I’ve heard about him being an obnoxious individual, I genuinely never had him down as that type though it seems I was wrong. Those who are happy just to overlook all of this to continue to kiss his arse should have some dignity, I think these guys would suck up to anyone who played for Rangers regardless of their subsequent behaviour.

Anyway, for a good few years I thought the sun shone out Weir’s arse so I was and still am genuinely gutted and the way he eventually behaved.

Back