David Weir interview in The Sun

Same ones on here who slaughter Davie Weir I bet are the ones who probably defend McCoist’s time as manager - also still loving McCoist into the bargain. Albeit McCoists legacy as a player is higher than Weirs, Weir himself was a massive part of our success too - none should be hated.

Nobody knows the circumstances of their departure.....if he says he didn’t resign and board say they did then it’s ones word against the other.
Certainly wouldn't defend McCoist. You may know someone like that but to extrapolate into you have to be either pro Weir or pro McCoist is dumb. I am pro Rangers.
The facts I know about the situation are that everyone knew, it was in fact public knowledge that they were looking to join Forest before they left. Lo and behold they duly did. Would strongly suggest to me they were working on this prior to departure
Also they threatened legal action against the club but never followed through. Suggests to me the club did not do a lot wrong.
I don't know why BIB was put on admin leave prior to his departure but suspect there may be a story there.
Interesting the paths their careers have taken post Forest. Looks like they are more or less out the game now, Weir's job sounds like something you'd get a junior in HR to do

Right ok, here's my issue with whatever journalist this is. He says:

“The issue in all of this was the claim, or accusation, that I had resigned. Show me the piece of paper which has my resignation on it.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it."

So surely, if your a journalist, the next question is then - so tell us in your own words what did happen then? Rangers said your agent resigned on your behalf? What was going on there Davie?

How fucking hard is it to ask these questions?

Exactly right.

There may not be a piece of paper with a resignation on it. But I certainly can believe that their agent was told to sound out the Forest job.

What a mess it was, and there’s no question that both sides made a balls of it. W&W protesting they did nothing wrong is what doesn’t sit well with me.

100% still a legend of Rangers however. What a player.

The thing I will never understand is as player he seemed to massively improve any centre back playing beside him but as a manager he was unable to improve the centre backs we had or help identify a half decent centre back to come in

The thing I will never understand is as player he seemed to massively improve any centre back playing beside him but as a manager he was unable to improve the centre backs we had or help identify a half decent centre back to come in
One of those strange anomolies of football i reckon.

Very good player and looked every bit a leader on the park.

Off the park quite quiet and a bit aloof. Met him a few times and never got the impression he wanted to be at the functions without him being rude.

Legend of a player.

Failure of a coach.

Prick of a man.

If he and his wee buddy were as badly shafted and lied about as he has indicated (a number of times) then where is the legal action they threatened to unleash?

Put up or shut up, Davie.

( Slight aside: My biggest surprise in that article was him describing himself as a Rangers fan. I had always assumed he was a Davie Weir fan, Hearts at a push, not that he didn’t give 100% in a Rangers shirt.)

The disingenuousness with which Warburton and Weir persist in hiding behind this lack of an official resignation letter is why they continue to be viewed acrimoniously by the support.

If the club cheated them out of a job, why didn’t they sue?

A word to the wise for both of them: just shut up about the way it ended at Rangers.

If asked, say you’ve said enough on the subject and focus on the good times.

It’s the only possible chance they have of repairing their relationship with the Rangers fans.

Right ok, here's my issue with whatever journalist this is. He says:

“The issue in all of this was the claim, or accusation, that I had resigned. Show me the piece of paper which has my resignation on it.

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it."

So surely, if your a journalist, the next question is then - so tell us in your own words what did happen then? Rangers said your agent resigned on your behalf? What was going on there Davie?

How fucking hard is it to ask these questions?
I take your point mate but the question doesn't need to be asked.
Both of them threatened legal action for unfair dismissal.We are still waiting for that to happen.

I was sure he co-commentated on one of our games at Ibrox last season?

I thought the same reading that. We’re they just in a a studio then?

Think it was a Cup game but he was terribly boring him co-comms

See this too...

“The issue in all of this was the claim, or accusation, that I had resigned. Show me the piece of paper which has my resignation on it.“

That’s not the issue for me, Davie. It’s that you and your boss was sneaking behind our backs and looking to move. All trust had gone at that point and you’d have been at Fulham six months before if that’d has worked out for the caniving manager too.

Loved you as a player but you’ve very much tarnished your reputation

Last edited:
We deserve to know what went on when Weir and Warburton left. This is another red flag to the circumstances and something behibd the scenes...

“I have never spoken ill of the club and I never will. But recently, that’s how the club have chosen to play it.

“It’s not just me. Look at the situation with Kenny Miller and Lee Wallace. David Bates and Danny Wilson,

“That seems to be the norm now.

Seems there was or is a common denominator, and it seems it was there in 2017 and is/was still there in January when Bates decided to go.

I for one would like to know what’s been going on.

Murty in relation to all those names mentioned above

He has been back though, he commented on the 4-1 game at Ibrox where we beat Falkirk, Cummings hat trick.

They weren't at Ibrox that day they commentated from a studio.

What I don't get is if he and Warburton keep repeating the whole we didn't resign excuse then why have they never done anything about it? It just all sounds like a story to save face for their actions because they got caught.

Sorry but Davie Weir was never a great player, he was the best defender at the club during his time with us . I wish him no harm but his behaviour left a sour taste in the mouth

Stopped reading at "i resigned, show me a piece of paper with my resignation"

I have verbally resigned from a few jobs so that is just bull..

Absolutely nothing wrong with any word quoted. A legend for us and another the online agitators and infiltrators try and tarnish. The man led us to a European final, picking up titles along the way whilst everyone thought he was there for the taking. A fan who performed well for Rangers. I'd love to have been in his shoes. Absolute respect for him and we really should be looking at how we overpower and limit the abuse given to the likes of Weir, Miller, Wallace, Boyd and McCoist. Every one has performed and given their all for us.

Apart from the outrageous lie he hasn't been back when he was part of Sky's commentary team last season v Falkirk

If it was a studio I'll retract that

Last edited:
Haha what a pile of pish. “I know the truth”. Yeah so do we, you tried to work a move to Forrest behind the clubs back and lied to everyone in the process, this was confirmed when you were given your marching orders and conventiently showed up at Forrest a few days later. He’d have been better never saying anything about it again, all this is, is him lying and insulting everyone’s intelligence even more.

It’s alarming how many times I’ve heard about him being an obnoxious individual, I genuinely never had him down as that type though it seems I was wrong. Those who are happy just to overlook all of this to continue to kiss his arse should have some dignity, I think these guys would suck up to anyone who played for Rangers regardless of their subsequent behaviour.

Anyway, for a good few years I thought the sun shone out Weir’s arse so I was and still am genuinely gutted and the way he eventually behaved.
I met Weir just once mind you but it was at a function where I had a right good chat with him.
He came across as being honest laid back and well spoken.
Not in the least way was he obnoxious

A snake like his two mates mark and frank.Now Playing the victim card after being caught red handed.

The truth is that no one on here actually knows what happened though.

We all know what we think happened but we don't actually know.

The truth is that no one on here actually knows what happened though.

We all know what we think happened but we don't actually know.

But we do know that Warburton was 'outraged' and was sending the big bad LMA after us with legal action.

How'd that work out for him ?

But we do know that Warburton was 'outraged' and was sending the big bad LMA after us with legal action.

How'd that work out for him ?

I know all that amd not disputing it or defending them.

But, like the Wallace and Miller situation, nobody on here knows.

I gave heard, directly from a well known agent, that Rangers version if events is closest to being correct.

But all Im saying is that no one knows.

Personally, i was delighted to see the back of Warburton.

Davie Weir only cares about Davie Weir not Rangers.Don’t believe me?Go read his book.Money is all that matters to him.

For someone who says he doesn't want to talk about the club he sure rabbles on. Like a few others Davie Weir only cares for Davie Weir.

Do you honestly think that because his name was David Weir and that he had an outstanding career he would be able to turn our centre halfs into players? They never had it, it was impossible. A blind man could tell that the likes of Karl Svennson would never develop into Terry Butcher.

Yeh but he helped bring some of them into the club.

It always amazes me that fans can talk with such certainty about things that went on away from the public eye.

He was a great player for us, and I appreciate him for that. I’m not going to pretend I know what went on behind closed doors.

Dave King the chairman of our club released a statement and spoke about it on RTV. Not a closed door in sight and firmly between any eye you care to mention.

I take your point mate but the question doesn't need to be asked.
Both of them threatened legal action for unfair dismissal.We are still waiting for that to happen.

Exactly, I just mean why do they let him away with saying it and don't challenge him on it? If I was a journalist the point you've made would be the first thing I'd say to either of them.

I'll never forgive Weir for his disgraceful actions alongside that fraud Warburton. Such a shame for a man I idolised so much during Sir Walter's second spell with us. And btw far too many ex players these days seem to love sticking the boot into our Club and bad mouthing us at every opportunity. We should have nothing to do with them even taking them off the hall of fame wouldn't be such a bad idea imho.

The clubs version of events on this occasion is the closest to the truth as these ex-employees would never have allowed an unfair questioning of their reputations to take place without suing.

However, should we talk about his point on Wilson etc?
He’s not wrong to assert that the club have basically been called out as allowing untruths to circulate in the manner of departures and in the case of Miller and Wallace, found against when due process was taken.
It’s getting to be a bit of a habit is it not?

it's clearly about the money for these guys.

fair enough, they'll pass through life rich in pocket but bankrupt in soul.

This whole thing is so disappointing. He was a magnificent player for us but that interview is riddled with inconsistencies and unanswered questions.

Do you honestly think that because his name was David Weir and that he had an outstanding career he would be able to turn our centre halfs into players? They never had it, it was impossible. A blind man could tell that the likes of Karl Svennson would never develop into Terry Butcher.

No, but he was part of the management team that oversaw recruitment. When it became evident that the likes of Kiernan, Wilson etc. were not up to it, they should have been moved on and replaced with people that were.

We saw during our championship season that both of those struggles to a point even at a lower level, yet we started the following season with both of them at centre-half.

Murty in relation to all those names mentioned above
Was it really Murty who made it kniwn they had resigned? Was it really Murty who had them and their team moved on so he could get the too job?

I dont have Murty down as clever enough to come up with such a sceme, and see it through according to plan. I dont think he’s clever enough to be that nasty. Or to have convinced enough people at the club that it’s still a good a move to have him there today.

Nah, got to be a bigger issue than just Murty.

Was it really Murty who made it kniwn they had resigned? Was it really Murty who had them and their team moved on so he could get the too job?

I dont have Murty down as clever enough to come up with such a sceme, and see it through according to plan. I dont think he’s clever enough to be that nasty. Or to have convinced enough people at the club that it’s still a good a move to have him there today.

Nah, got to be a bigger issue than just Murty.

I was referring to the four player names quoted.

Weir obviously has issue with the board / certain members of it.

I know which side I’m on in that argument.

The clubs version of events on this occasion is the closest to the truth as these ex-employees would never have allowed an unfair questioning of their reputations to take place without suing.

However, should we talk about his point on Wilson etc?
He’s not wrong to assert that the club have basically been called out as allowing untruths to circulate in the manner of departures and in the case of Miller and Wallace, found against when due process was taken.
It’s getting to be a bit of a habit is it not?
What's the problem with Wilson?
His contract was up in the summer and we got a small amount of cash for him
All we'd have gained if he'd stayed was maybe second instead of third which in the grand scheme of things matters not at all
Arguably it worked in our favour

Great player for us but a bit of a strange yin.I always thought he came across in his autobiography as quite bitchy and very money orientainted .Seemed more concerned with his UEFA cup final bonus than actually reaching the damn thing.

Surprised to see some on this thread that slaughtered Miller for running to certain journalists now wish Weir well when he was doing the exact same thing.

I wish him well to be fair.

Warburton was a snake not weir.

If Warburton went then he did to we will never know

A tremendous player and a fantastic captain.

Poor coach and keeps particularly bad company in Warburton and his best in the business director of football.

As a coach he was a big disappointment to me because as a former international defender I had expected him to sort out our obvious and costly defensive weaknesses but he was a big failure in that respect.:(

W.A.T.P.

Hard for club owners/chairmen to trust individuals who engineer an escape like David and Mark done.

Back