Davie Cooper, born 64 years ago

dh1963

Born on February 25th 1956, Davie would have been 64 this week.

There are regular threads in here about Davie Cooper, and no apologies from me for starting another one for what was his birthday.
It was an absolute privilege for me to have been a regular home and away throughout his Rangers career. In my 50+ years watching the team I love, there has never been a more naturally skilful and outrageously gifted footballer play in Scotland than Davie Cooper. He only had 1 foot, but if his right had been as good as his left it would have been unfair playing him.

Inconsistent for spells. Wasted in a poor team for too long. But delivered moments of spellbinding brilliance that made you always want to go back.

I still feel myself get emotional when I see the tributes at Ibrox when he tragically passed away. There's a song called Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx that got played in a tribute on telly the night he died that to this day I can't listen to. He was one of us who lived the dream we all had, but who had a talent nobody else was born with.

The word legend is overused, but it's the description he deserves. One of a kind. Unforgettable. Immortal.

I wish he was still here to read this.

Born on February 25th 1956, Davie would have been 64 this week.

There are regular threads in here about Davie Cooper, and no apologies from me for starting another one for what was his birthday.
It was an absolute privilege for me to have been a regular home and away throughout his Rangers career. In my 50+ years watching the team I love, there has never been a more naturally skilful and outrageously gifted footballer play in Scotland than Davie Cooper. He only had 1 foot, but if his right had been as good as his left it would have been unfair playing him.

Inconsistent for spells. Wasted in a poor team for too long. But delivered moments of spellbinding brilliance that made you always want to go back.

I still feel myself get emotional when I see the tributes at Ibrox when he tragically passed away. There's a song called Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx that got played in a tribute on telly the night he died that to this day I can't listen to. He was one of us who lived the dream we all had, but who had a talent nobody else was born with.

The word legend is overused, but it's the description he deserves. One of a kind. Unforgettable. Immortal.

I wish he was still here to read this.

An outstanding talent without doubt. Never forget the day he collapsed while working with Charlie Nicholas then getting the tragic news next morning. The tributes and amount of people who went to Ibrox to pay their respects were huge. Great player, great Rangers man. Sadly missed.

My hero growing up as a kid and EXACTLY 14 years older than me.
Happy birthday m8.
Davie was my idol, he was the player that I wanted to be, growing up as a 10 year old, kicking a ball in the park, on the roads, against garage doors, trying to imitate things that I'd seen him do. When he was in the mood, he was simply the best

Used to watch us during the early 80s when the stadium was 25% full. When we were finishing 4th or 5th in the league
Only Coop gave us hope in those days

sadly missed

The moody blue! Absolute legend.
I remember the day he passed, heading home from school on the bus. The whole bus was in shock when the news came through on the drivers radio. We were only 12-13 at the time, some older. Most in tears, even the wee celtic fans on the bus of which there weren’t many, but still, the respect the man commanded showed on that bus.
Even up to Ibrox that night to lay a scarf down with my dad, the whole sight was tremendously emotional.
what a player.
his free kick against aberdeen is still my favourite. If the net wasn’t in the road the ball would have ended up in mount vernon!!

Had the pleasure of talking to him a good few times in the early 80's when I used to watch Rangers train in the Albion. He signed a couple of programmes for me and I cherish them to this day. A superstar in my eyes, but a more down to earth guy you could not meet.

We used to have some really poor teams around then and Cooper would turn it on in games to remind us of what we had, and what might be. I was absolutely delighted for him when Souness arrived and he was part of the early successes around that time.

When he played in decent Rangers and Scotland teams you could see the sheer class, he was on another level.

Back