Davie Cooper-Signing for the club he loved

Bob Agg

The day after Davie Cooper signed for the Rangers in June 1977, the Daily Record described him as ‘The most expensive product from Clydebank since Cunard Line accepted delivery of the QE2’

12 months later in a Rangers News feature documenting his first year at the club, he tells how he ‘ didn’t think he’d ever play for Rangers.’

I pulled together some articles from old newspapers & Rangers News detailing how his move to Rangers came about despite interest from down south, and what the great man thought about the whole thing.

Thanks for taking the time to have a read, link to the article below...

http://rangers-history.com/2018/02/25/davie-cooper-signing-for-the-club-he-loved/

Last edited:
Fantastic read. I’ve posted it on here but I’ll post it again as it was one of the greatest moments of my early youth looking back at it. A couple of hours before sealing the 2-0 win over Motherwell in 1978, completing the double and on our way to the treble, he stood beside me outside Ibrox signing my programme with a “ there you go wee man”. He would never know the impression he left with me but I’ll never forget it.

” I can remember Jock Stein tried to take David to Parkhead” recalls Jack Steedman. ” David wouldn’t even talk to me about it!”

Too right he wouldn’t.

Back