Davie Cooper Testimonial

Was that the bordeaux game?
We got locked out! There were a good few thousand outside iirc.
I'm sure it was Girondins Bordeaux. First time I had seen a team ( Bordeaux ) wearing the "long" shorts, that are now the norm. I thought they looked ridiculous.
Yes it was packed. I was stuck in the front row of the Copland. Poor view.

The game v Bordeaux was my third game at Ibrox. After a reserve game v them and a league game v Dundee Hibs. The testimonial game was special though. Me and my Dad, my uncle and his kids and most importantly my grandpa. Very special.

Me and two mates got to the front of the queue for the Copland rear and they closed the turnstiles. Ran round to the main stand and just managed to get in and they closed the turnstiles behind us. Very lucky to get in as I know there were a lot that didn’t.

Anyone remember the Graham Roberts throw-in incident v Bordeaux when he nutted the player on his follow through? Was that this game or the previous season?

Last edited:
We played them in a friendly at Ibrox on a Friday night in Souness first season. We had a free weekend as Hamilton had knocked us out the Scottish Cup. Neil Woods ( anybody remember him?) scored for us in a 3-2 win.
Neil Woods looked like a great signing initially. I remember thinking he was like a new Andy Kennedy at the time!

Was that the bordeaux game?
We got locked out! There were a good few thousand outside iirc.
Got locked out of his testimonial too. Pay at the gate, we were running round the stadium at the end looking for a turnstile still open. Still feel gutted about it, my favourite ever player. Him and Bobby Russell some days were the reason I kept going lol.

I was working through at Cockenzie Power Station,i left work at 4.30 and drove straight to Ibrox and was one of the last to get into the Main Stand before the sold out signs went up.

Anyone remember the Graham Roberts throw-in incident v Bordeaux when he nutted the player on his follow through? Was that this game or the previous season?
We played them in a friendly at Ibrox on a Friday night in Souness first season. We had a free weekend as Hamilton had knocked us out the Scottish Cup. Neil Woods ( anybody remember him?) scored for us in a 3-2 win.
I remember the Graham Roberts incident well. Right in front of me on Govan touchline. They never tried standing so close when we had a throw in after that

Just dug out my program....sadly Coops signature is fading on the front but the memory of meeting him never will.
Bordeaux had a few historied names in there and there's a few good wee articles, so thought fellow bears might enjoy me uploading a few pages. Enjoy!

PXL-20201025-101301410.jpg

PXL-20201025-101314421.jpg

PXL-20201025-101327168.jpg

PXL-20201025-101404149.jpg

PXL-20201025-101340718.jpg

Managed to get in the Enclosure. I’m sure our bus broke- down on the way to the game and caused an almighty scramble for us all to get there.

Big thanks to other ‘busses’ and Bears with cars that got us to Ibrox on time.

My very first Rangers game, I went on the supporters bus with my mate and his older brother. Seats right at the back of the Copland, remember being scared it was so high up

First day I ever did overtime so late getting there. Wasn't until my WEE brother told me I'd better stand in the adult queue, still trying to get in the boys gate with overalls on. Think it cost me an extra quid. Good cause all the same. Rest in peace Davie.

Auld yin and myself just got in.
GF, was a struggle, but made it in.
I did hear from people round about us just before kick off that there were masses outside not allowed in,

one thing I remember from it was in the warming up, Davie seemed overwhelmed that so many turned up to see the game,

we travelled over 100 miles to see it, me and my dad, no way were we gonna miss that game

I remember at some point during the game the guys who must have operated the turnstiles walking round the track carrying the bags of cash from the gates. What a feeling to actually see dozens of bags stuffed with cash knowing it was yours.

Locked out of game,went to Edmiston Club with mate and got in when they opened the gates to watch last 15 minutes.

My footballing hero and I was running round the stadium as the turnstiles were closing.
Never got in…..gutted at the time.

Think that was my first Rangers game and first at Ibrox. Would square with us wearing the red and white diagonal strip as I've got a memory of being confused why we weren't wearing blue. I've definitely got the programme. I was a bit young to know what was going on or to follow the game for 90 minutes, all I remember is the noise, how big the stadium seemed, and I was obsessed with all the different colours of seats in the stadium.

Davie Cooper was world class. In terms of my evidence for the much discredited Mark Guidi, well Mark you fucking useless goalkeeper and journalistic clown I hereby site the great Rudd Gullit who claimed Coop was one of the best he had ever seen and he would be in his world 11. Go back to sleep Mark along with your anti rangers hating journal pals.

Back