Davie Cooper

Just taken so early i was about 14 and in school. You think what someone like cooper could pass on to the kids ffs.

What a loss. What a hero

I do find myself reminiscing about my hero quite a lot.

And often I will get a lump in my throat and welled up eyes when I think how sad it was that he was taken from us so early.

As a youngster, I was always Davie Cooper when running about the garden with a ball at my feet dribbling my way to a goal.

A beautiful footballer and a beautiful human being.

Legend. Hero.

I have seen some world class players playing for Rangers but none of them have ever made me love them as much as I loved Cooper his natural ability was incredible and you believed that as a Rangers fan you could have been him.
He was 1 of us and he was exceptionally proud of the fact he got to play for the club he loved.

Remember seeing this player at a game in Kilbowie Park for Clydebank and thought WOW.

We then signed him for £100.000 and when I seen him playing for us I thought a big mistake had been made.I am glad to say that did not last long and the rest is history and along with many on here he is one of my all time greats at Rangers.

Was at a tribute night to him which will last in my memory.

i work in motherwell just now, and sometimes pop up to greggs for a chew. And i usually avoid that right hand turn and drive past his stand on the way back. and it makes me think of him.

That song from the thornlie boys is a lovely song, but an upsetting song to me.

The young yins dont understand how good he was.

World class.

Seen him score on his Ibrox debut in a 3-1 win over Southampton in the Tennent - Caledonian Cup 6th August 1977. Loved him from then on. Before anyone corrects me, I know he scored for Clydebank in his first ever appearance at Ibrox the previous September in a League Cup tie. A true Blue Legend. R.I.P.

Like many others I idolised Davie and would try to mimic him when kicking the ball with my mates.

Plaaying as a winger meant that sometimes he was starved of the ball, especially in the early 80's teams, I'd like to have seen him more involved in games, maybe playing as a 10 ?
It might be my memory going but I don't really remember him playing in there, anybody with better recall ?

Arguably our most gifted player after Baxter. (As an aside he was in the same class as one of my sister-in-laws. She said he was a brilliant bloke).

Was at most of his games.
Cup finals against the Tims and sheep are stand outs.

My 1st hero.

Sitting listening to bear songs all night and the cooper song came on from the thornlie boys.

I loved that guy so much and i feel myself welling up thinking about him.

Davie i love you and you will never be forgotten.

It took us three games to beat Clydebank in the cup and Davie was a buf part of the reason, Rudd Hullett said he was one of the best players he had seen and piked him in him in his all time team, Brian Laudrop said he would have liked to play along side him.

That free kick against the sheep. My favourite free kick ever despite big Albertz trying to steal Coops thunder!

I always thought I should be Davie because my pals were all right footed whereas I was a leftie.:)

Like so many he was my idol, I practiced so much with my left foot that I ended up being able to take pens and corners with my left, just so I could pretend to be Super Davie Cooper. Still well up thinking of him and also Ray Wilkins.

Back