Davis Lafferty & Jordan Jones start

Solid performance got the job done most important thing after a poor run of results.

That’s the best Jones has played for NI, great shift.

Glad to hear Jones played well, seems like he'll be a good upbeat character to have around the place as well

Needs a run in the team.

Won't disagree with that mate, wasn't slating him, just saying that what happens in international games is irrelevant to a players performances for us.

I was desperate for Davis to come back based on 2 or 3 N.Ireland performances but so far its proved a disappointing signing.

Not giving up hope and as you say a run of games for us will hopefully do him good.

Won't disagree with that mate, wasn't slating him, just saying that what happens in international games is irrelevant to a players performances for us.

I was desperate for Davis to come back based on 2 or 3 N.Ireland performances but so far its proved a disappointing signing.

Not giving up hope and as you say a run of games for us will hopefully do him good.

These 2 competitive internationals will be good for Davis and Lafferty, much needed.

I thought Davis was decent against Kilmarnock and looking a lot sharper. We won’t see the best of him if he doesn’t play regularly that is for sure.

Jones look decent tonight, I was still am a bit sceptical about the signing but I tend to be cup half full type of guy when it comes to judging players

Although Jones played well I don't think he is good enough.

He plays well for killie as the opponent's don't sit in. I don't think he has the ability to unlock a defence. He has done well against us in a couple of games when Tav has been caught up the park.

Although Jones played well I don't think he is good enough.

He plays well for killie as the opponent's don't sit in. I don't think he has the ability to unlock a defence. He has done well against us in a couple of games when Tav has been caught up the park.

Estonia sat in tonight and he unlocked their defence a fair number of times.

Its clear to see that Davis is no longer that number 10 player we once had. He is now a holding midfielder and O'Neill knows how to get the best out of him in that position
His range of passing from sitting back is much better and reads the game better than being higher up the pitch. hopefully Gerrard watched the NI game last night

This thread has a lack of the “Jones is shite”posters.
Wonder why??
I'll bite. Hes looked poor v us one goal apart
Maybe he is better thsn I thought.

Recently Kent has been poor but he can beat a man. It actually seems Jones pace could be useful though against 9 and 10 behind the ball time will tell. It also looks like he can fire in good crosses, something I hadn't really saw from him.

Is he what we need? Not sure but proper judgement would be after he's had a few games for us and hopefully he may surprise us.

I'll bite. Hes looked poor v us one goal apart
Maybe he is better thsn I thought.

Recently Kent has been poor but he can beat a man. It actually seems Jones pace could be useful though against 9 and 10 behind the ball time will tell. It also looks like he can fire in good crosses, something I hadn't really saw from him.

Is he what we need? Not sure but proper judgement would be after he's had a few games for us and hopefully he may surprise us.

I haven't been a fan either mate and he's done very little against Tav over the piece when we've played them.

However, he played very well last night and what was really encouraging for me whas the fact that Estonia set up pretty much the same as most teams that come to Ibrox do.
They defended deep in numbers.

Jones regularly got in behind them and put some good balls into the box.

Best I've seen him play.

Jones was a free transfer so i really dont understand people saying they are worried and concerned, free transfer and low wages ! very small risk that may or may not pay off.

Nothing to get overly worried about, i doubt Gerrard is planning to build a team around him but he will prove to be useful throughout the season.

Jones was a free transfer so i really dont understand people saying they are worried and concerned, free transfer and low wages ! very small risk that may or may not pay off.

Nothing to get overly worried about, i doubt Gerrard is planning to build a team around him but he will prove to be useful throughout the season.
People are concerned because its yet another poor signing who isn’t the standard required, to add to a long list.

I wouldn’t give a feck if we had a high success ratio in the transfer market or had a lot of money to fling about.

People are concerned because its yet another poor signing who isn’t the standard required, to add to a long list.

I wouldn’t give a feck if we had a high success ratio in the transfer market or had a lot of money to fling about.
Perhaps he should be given a chance before writting him off as a poor signing, i don't think its a great signing but he will do a job in the spl and cost us nothing so its hardly something to get worked up over as many seem to be.

At the end of the day he deserves a chance

The best thing about NI being such an unglamorous name and barely being talked about in the media is that less people come after our manager, he really is one of the best about.

Mate, to be fair, you could say that about a thousand footballers.

I think the point is most of our squad are those types of players and now is the time to push on with big, quality signings. And the collection of mediocre non-scoring wide men in a persistent 433 just seems very bizarre

I think the point is most of our squad are those types of players and now is the time to push on with big, quality signings. And the collection of mediocre non-scoring wide men in a persistent 433 just seems very bizarre

Agreed we need better quality in terms of starting every week but he's a better player than Candeias for me. Certainly a lot more dynamic player than him and with better players around him at Ibrox hopefully he can start adding more goals to his game.

Agreed we need better quality in terms of starting every week but he's a better player than Candeias for me. Certainly a lot more dynamic player than him and with better players around him at Ibrox hopefully he can start adding more goals to his game.

We just have too many wide men already mate, I don’t see the need in bringing in anyone average there. He might be better than Candeias (I don’t think he is), but we gave a new contract to DC last year. Not to mention the Grezda signing. If we didn’t have one of those, or one was leaving in the summer, then I sort of get it.

The only one who looks to be leaving is Kent. And he is better than Jones.

We just have too many wide men already mate, I don’t see the need in bringing in anyone average there. He might be better than Candeias (I don’t think he is), but we gave a new contract to DC last year. Not to mention the Grezda signing. If we didn’t have one of those, or one was leaving in the summer, then I sort of get it.

The only one who looks to be leaving is Kent. And he is better than Jones.

We'll be looking to move a few on in the summer there's no doubt about that. Possibly easier said than done but guys like Grezda if they do well for their countries will attract a bit of interest. We might need to take a little bit of a hit on what we paid but when you sign so many players in the one go there's always going to be quite a few who don't work out.

Fwiw I would bet heavily on Kent still being here next season.

We'll be looking to move a few on in the summer there's no doubt about that. Possibly easier said than done but guys like Grezda if they do well for their countries will attract a bit of interest. We might need to take a little bit of a hit on what we paid but when you sign so many players in the one go there's always going to be quite a few who don't work out.

Fwiw I would bet heavily on Kent still being here next season.

I would also bet heavily on Kent being here, which is why the signing of Jones makes even less sense. We might shift on Grezda: but if we don’t, that’s 4 wide men who don’t score + Middleton + whatever shape Murphy is in. 6 players for 2 crucial positions, and not much conflidence in a single one of them contributing goals. If Morelos leaves, that’s frightening.

Ideally, Grezda leaves (don’t want him to yet, but don’t see any other way), and Middleton goes out on loan. We then sign someone capable of 15 a season from out wide. That would still leave Murphy, Candeias and Jones all fighting for one spot on the bench.

Of course we need much better than him, we need to spend proper money on players for the 1st 11, all im saying is he was a free transfer so its hardly a massive risk.

I know we need much better quality

Back