DAZN bidding for the EFL rights to show every game live ending the Sat 3pm blackout

The EFL have put every game for tender

Ending the 3pm blackout still need the FA go ahead and possible the Premier League who are also affected by it

No idea why the 3pm blackout still exists.

What fan would not go and see their team purely because another game is on the telly?
Because it is possible the the clubs still ask for it to try and protect attendances?

Also the other side of it about protecting existing broadcast contracts

Personally after it been temporary removed I didn't think it would return

What fan would not go and see their team purely because another game is on the telly?
It’s not so fans of teams staying home due to a game on tv it’s more casual fans attending, there was an a report done last year that showed that national and non league clubs see a boost in attendance when their local epl/efl team was playing away.

Would love to see this happen. Only way Scottish football will do it is by following someone’s lead/idea (standard).

It’s not so fans of teams staying home due to a game on tv it’s more casual fans attending, there was an a report done last year that showed that national and non league clubs see a boost in attendance when their local epl/efl team was playing away.
That would be obvious.

No idea why that is relevant to a tv blackout though?

Some people just find going Football a bit crap now for the cost. Know plenty of people who don’t bother going home matches that are under 20 mins drive to them as they have a firestick.

It’s time to go to pay per game rather
Than this monthly crap
People can then pick and chose what games they watch with a bonus scheme like watch nine get the tenth free etc

£5 quid a game is better than having to buy all the providers under the sun

Thought Telefónica were involved to be honest from something I saw ages ago.

Says here:

Always remember Canal plus being great for it for a while. 15 years ago they used to show one live on domestic tv each week when I was out there, might have been the Saturday night match.
That seems for La Liga within Spain it is shared

But the EPL website states DAZN as the main holder for it's rights

@Valladolid_Loyal will be able to confirm

They’re clearly desperate to muscle in on the UK football market…to the point of bidding for something that will probably not generate many subscribers and make them a massive loss

You’ve confused me there getting involved to be honest. Was thinking VL meant La Liga.
Ah right clear from the original post from VL he states the EPL and DAZN are the rightsholders

So unless there is another price level then €18 a month is excellent if includes their La Liga games and other sports

Ah right clear from the original post from VL he states the EPL and DAZN are the rightsholders

So unless there is another price level then €18 a month is excellent if includes their La Liga games and other sports
Forget about it mate. I was just going to ask him more as he has lived in Spain for years and thought he be well placed to know in depth.

The way I see it is this;

If you're basing your decision to physically attend a game on whether there's a "bigger" game on the TV or not - there's a fair chance you weren't truly going in the first place.

COVID-19 should've seen the blackout scrapped once and for all.

If anything, scrapping it makes the games more accessible. Last season Scottish clubs were still permitted to broadcast their home games online for a PPV fee. Pay for your online ticket and there you go. Minimal fuss and money goes direct to the club. Opportunity for those who can't get along to Ibrox to see us live at home (legally) without having to wait for the highlights later that night. My old boy loved having that option.

Dungcaster fucked it up, for every club, by returning to the old way. The lady's front bottom needs hunted.

It's getting fucking ridiculous with all the different subscriptions now tbh.

Used to just be sky sports.
At one stage Setanta.
Then bt sports.
Then Premier sports who are now Viaplay.
Then we have amazon prime getting more involved.

Honestly where the %^*& does this all stop. It's getting out of control for the normal household to keep up with all this nonsense.

I even include business in that. We chucked bt sports and viaplay from the pub as between those two and sky sports it was over £2000 per month and that doesn't include any £250 PPVs etc.

They only shown some La Liga, not all.

However I'm only really interested in the EPL.

Got a season ticket for Valladolid, so get my la liga fix every second week.

Only so much football I can get away with.

The idiots in charge of our game seem totally unwilling to look at the bigger picture. The internationals during the week were a prime example. England games freely available on C4, so your casual fans watches, Scotland's games hidden away on some obscure digital channel, so anyone only half interested just won't bother watching. Same goes for the domestic cups.

Rangers have tried to get the idiots to listen, but the other clubs seem to our about 30 seconds of thought into it and just go with whichever 'deal' offers them the most right there and then.

So is that just through streaming on an app or is there like a channel you can watch it on in the same way you’d subscribe to Sky Sports in the uk?

One thing I really found interesting when living in Germany was the only league of any interest Sky.de had away from Germany and Austria was the English Premier League. Serie A and La Liga there was zero shown.

So is that just through streaming on an app or is there like a channel you can watch it on in the same way you’d subscribe to Sky Sports in the uk?

One thing I really found interesting when living in Germany was the only league of any interest Sky.de had away from Germany and Austria was the English Premier League. Serie A and La Liga there was zero shown.
DAZN in Germany has both streaming and 2 channels you can watch on SKY or cable tv supplier via your DAZN subscription

DAZN is great value for money with the number of different sports they cover

there is also DAZN Rise dedicated to womens sports

Last edited:

Erm, you know who.
Dundee v celtic , what tim will travel to that when they can watch us V hearts on the telly?

DAZN in Germany has both streaming and 2 channels you can watch on SKY or cable tv supplier via your DAZN subscription

DAZN is great value for money with the number of different sports they cover

there is also DAZN RIse dedicated to womens sports
Thing is if you want to watch all Bundesliga 1 and 2 matches you are going to need Sky and DAZN aren’t you?

Is it not pretty complicated as well for watching all the European competitions?

The idiots in charge of our game seem totally unwilling to look at the bigger picture. The internationals during the week were a prime example. England games freely available on C4, so your casual fans watches, Scotland's games hidden away on some obscure digital channel, so anyone only half interested just won't bother watching. Same goes for the domestic cups.

Rangers have tried to get the idiots to listen, but the other clubs seem to our about 30 seconds of thought into it and just go with whichever 'deal' offers them the most right there and then.
One of Scotland's biggest results in the last 30 years as well.

It's getting fucking ridiculous with all the different subscriptions now tbh.

Used to just be sky sports.
At one stage Setanta.
Then bt sports.
Then Premier sports who are now Viaplay.
Then we have amazon prime getting more involved.

Honestly where the %^*& does this all stop. It's getting out of control for the normal household to keep up with all this nonsense.

I even include business in that. We chucked bt sports and viaplay from the pub as between those two and sky sports it was over £2000 per month and that doesn't include any £250 PPVs etc.
It’s blindingly obvious why “alternative means” have become so popular, the sheer amount of options really stack up, and it’s all fragmented, SKY used to have almost everything, now they have far less, yet their cost continues to go up.

It’s unaffordable for many.

Thing is if you want to watch all Bundesliga 1 and 2 matches you are going to need Sky and DAZN aren’t you?

Is it not pretty complicated as well for watching all the European competitions?

The EPL package on SKY is something like 17 a month. That gets every game. They have highlights, MNF and it covers the F1 plus a lot of 250/500 ATP tennis. You also get Sky Sports News (DE). It's great value.

The Bundesliga 1/2 package is another 10 euro or so on top of that (I think). That gets you Konferenz.

DAZN has the Friday night game, UCL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and other European leagues. It used to be around €15 but they doubled that last season. I think it's even more if you're a new customer, something like €40.

Been travelling between a lot this year and haven't been in the house much so ended up scrapping DAZN and sticking with the EPL package. Not really a big deal as the pub across the street has the Bulli and UCL on. TBH, I don't know anyone who has kept their DAZN subscription on after the price hike. It's excessive for what the product is.

The EPL package on SKY is something like 17 a month. That gets every game. They have highlights, MNF and it covers the F1 plus a lot of 250/500 ATP tennis. You also get Sky Sports News (DE). It's great value.

The Bundesliga 1/2 package is another 10 euro or so on top of that (I think). That gets you Konferenz.

DAZN has the Friday night game, UCL, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1 and other European leagues. It used to be around €15 but they doubled that last season. I think it's even more if you're a new customer, something like €40.

Been travelling between a lot this year and haven't been in the house much so ended up scrapping DAZN and sticking with the EPL package. Not really a big deal as the pub across the street has the Bulli and UCL on. TBH, I don't know anyone who has kept their DAZN subscription on after the price hike. It's excessive for what the product is.
I didnt renew my DAZN at first but they then offered it for 19euros per month - but that is for a years contract.

also for the europa league games you need RTL extra subscription and for some of the Championsl league games involving bayern or dortmund you need amazon prime - its ridiculous

Last edited:

UEFA sell the tv rights so that is one of the few things you can’t blame the Scottish footballing authorities for.

It won't happen in Scotland because they know they can hardly fill the stadiums as it is can you imagine teams like motherwell and kilmarnocks attendance it's.bad enough.

Why can England show their games on terrestrial tv then?
I think they then buy the rights to their games back from the UK broadcaster awarded the package - currently Viaplay, previously Sky. Wales must do similar having their games on S4C in Welsh language (their equivalent of BBC Alba).

Personally I don't see why Scotland (and NI for that matter) don't strike a similar deal.

Not big on international football these days but all international should be made availabe free-to-air in their home country.

I think they then buy the rights to their games back from the UK broadcaster awarded the package - currently Viaplay, previously Sky. Wales must do similar having their games on S4C in Welsh language (their equivalent of BBC Alba).

Personally I don't see why Scotland (and NI for that matter) don't strike a similar deal.

Not big on international football these days but all international should be made availabe free-to-air in their home country.
The bizarre situation on Tuesday night was that i could watch the Scotland game free to air on an Irish tv channel.folks back home couldn’t unless using a dodgy box or illegal streaming site.

If this goes through Scottish clubs should be pressing for an independent review of the sky deal and legally enforcing full disclosure / cooperation from those involved at the SPFL.

The review should also look at alternative options available at the time, alternative options likely available over the term, comparisons on return to the alternatives and get on record the reason why the executives entered into the sky agreement.

I know the club have tried this sort of thing before but we should offer to pay for it and create a narrative of transparency.

The lack of scrutiny or criticism of the SPFL executives by the media won't stop unless we get on the front foot and start forcing the debate.

Why can England show their games on terrestrial tv then?
I am sure there was some pressure applied to have England's available on free to air terrestrial tv for the Euro and WC qualifiers- the recent England Nations League games were the 1st time there were free to air as well

Deal is done with UEFA with the help of the FA irc

Back