DAZN in talks to buy BT Sport

DAZN, the sports streaming service owned by billionaire Sir Leonard Blavatnik, is in advanced talks to buy BT’s sports business.

An agreement between the two companies could be struck within weeks, according to multiple people with direct knowledge of the talks. It would enable the telecoms company to exit sports broadcasting and focus on expanding its 5G and full-fibre networks and developing new connectivity services.

A deal would reshape the UK broadcasting landscape after nearly a decade of rampant competition between Sky and BT in both the sports and broadband markets. DAZN has proved to be an emerging threat and this year it outbid Sky Italia for the rights to broadcast Serie A games as part of a €2.5bn deal.

The streaming company would net high-profile English Premier League games to bolster its fledgling UK business as well as rugby union, some cricket rights and niche sports including Australian Rules Football if it takes over the BT unit.

Kevin Mayer, chair of DAZN, told a media conference last week that the streaming company would ultimately “love” to have rights to the Premier League and that it was “possibly” interested in acquiring BT Sport which he described as a “great business”.

There is no certainty a deal will be struck, however, with negotiations over a number of factors including price, which could be in the region of hundreds of millions of pounds, and a licensing agreement between the two companies still under way.

A sale is complicated by a cross-licensing deal that BT has with Sky, meaning the satellite broadcaster has to approve the deal. The two companies have held talks over a potential change in ownership.

BT could still opt to partner with another player on sports broadcasting or keep the business in-house.

Talks have been taking place with a number of interested parties for more than six months after the telecoms company appointed investment bank Lazard to explore options for the business.

BT and DAZN declined to comment on the talks.

BT proved to be the most formidable competitor to Sky in sports broadcasting after investing more than £2bn to take the fight to the media company. Its strategy was to build a viable sports business alongside its TV service but also to defend its core broadband base against Sky, which had been offering free broadband to its sports subscribers.

It has sought to reduce the financial burden of its sports operation in recent years and under Marc Allera, chief executive of BT’s consumer unit, has transformed a division that lost £400m a year in its infancy into a break-even business with almost 2m subscribers.

Wonder how much BT Sport cost BT all in?

Been a disaster for them and consumer, instead of forcing prices down for the consumer by ending Sky’s monopoly, it cost us far more if we wanted continued access to everything that was previously available on Sky Sports or terrestrial.

Wonder how much BT Sport cost BT all in?

Been a disaster for them and consumer, instead of forcing prices down for the consumer by ending Sky’s monopoly, it cost us far more if we wanted continued access to everything that was previously available on Sky Sports or terrestrial.
Incredible situation. All that nonsense for no profit but double the cost to the punters.

Marc Allera, chief executive of BT’s consumer unit, has transformed a division that lost £400m a year in its infancy into a break-even business with almost 2m subscribers.

Incredible situation. All that nonsense for no profit but double the cost to the punters.

Marc Allera, chief executive of BT’s consumer unit, has transformed a division that lost £400m a year in its infancy into a break-even business with almost 2m subscribers.
I can’t imagine a streaming service starting at the same price point as BT’s TV package so hopefully this drives the price back down

Keep in mind though BT Sport was initally used to attract customers to BT broadband, it would be interesting to see the figures that they managed though that

If there’s an app then it’s barely any different to changing the channel?
I know it's only a few extra steps but at the moment, Id have to change the HDMI source on the telly remote, wait for the firestick to boot, select the app/service, find what I'm looking to watch on the app.
At the moment in between someone else watching soaps or some shit, in the adverts I can just click to 501 for the footie

I get BT Sports free with my BT broadband.

I’ve got Sky Sports, BT Sports, Premier Sports, Rangers TV along with all the stuff the kids have; Amazon, Netflix, Disney +. Then I’ve got my ST at Ibrox.

I’m not prepared to pay for another service just to watch football. I’ll just have to look towards other alternatives.

I know it's only a few extra steps but at the moment, Id have to change the HDMI source on the telly remote, wait for the firestick to boot, select the app/service, find what I'm looking to watch on the app.
At the moment in between someone else watching soaps or some shit, in the adverts I can just click to 501 for the footie
Fair enough, I assumed you meant on a Smart TV

DAZN do have linear channels in some places, so there's no guarantee that DAZN will be streaming app only in the UK.

From buying BT Sport, they would have the channel slots on Sky and Virgin. Also, DAZN also have small studios currently in Leeds I believe, so would they expand them for TV coverage or scrap them and take over the lease for BT Studios in London.

Couldn't disagree with the OP more. I've had DAZN for 5 years and, all things considered, it's far superior to anything in the UK.
I’ve nothing against DAZN. Just the idea of it bring streaming only and not carriaged on sky and the like

If it gets Sutton and Hartson the sack, bring it on!
Unlikely, we'll end up with same sh!tey commentators/pundits/co-commentators.

I doubt any acquiring company will be that interested in Scottish football so will just serve up the same sh!te like Craigan etc.

DAZN Is great for us in North America would be a blow for Rangers TV over here though If it showed SPFL games. Right now you can only see Rangers if we’re in the EL or UCL group stages onwards. Great app though

Surprised Amazon aren’t in on this

I don't think Amazon will be spending billions on just UK rights - they could never make that money back.

DAZN are haemorrhaging money so this could well be the last throw of the dice for the UK business at least.

Be interesting to see how this affects BT customers. I get BT Sport for a fiver a month because I have kept BT broadband. If it means I have to pay another £20 a month, not only will I cancel BT Sport but I'll probably switch broadband supplier too. I can always watch Euro football in the pub

DAZN has great coverage for the boxing. And the coverage of football that they show is more than decent. Obviously it is a bit behind because of the streaming but then so is RTV.

I thought Disney would have hoovered this up!

Not sure I can be arsed with another app or download service, it is a hassle to stream to your TV. A hassle that will make folk use illegal means to watch football
I have DAZN in North America & it is an excellent service & $20/mth.
App on SmartTV, FireStick, Laptop & iPhone & can play 2 devices @ the same time, hassle free

Be interesting to see how this affects BT customers. I get BT Sport for a fiver a month because I have kept BT broadband. If it means I have to pay another £20 a month, not only will I cancel BT Sport but I'll probably switch broadband supplier too. I can always watch Euro football in the pub
Same here.

I hope it doesn’t happen, but the delay doesn’t really bother me as I just won’t sit on my phone and have my bets done in advance.

I’m probably a bit used to it though, every bit of football I watch it streamed one way or another either on BT, Sky, Amazon or Premier.

Hope if DAZN get it they fail, and everything gets broadcast on sky. One platform for the lot, would finally get me to upgrade from having just freeview

That's a good point actually as i get BT Sport "Free" with Virgin ... so wonder what will happen there.

It would be great to see Amazon involved in Scottish Football. I watched a lot of their tennis coverage during the US Open and it was seriously impressive.
Thought their Premier League coverage was good last year too

Not sure how comparable, but when premier sports bought the Serie A rights from Eleven sports during the season, a couple of years back, we were offered it at 50% off or something.

That's a good point actually as i get BT Sport "Free" with Virgin ... so wonder what will happen there.
There would need to be an agreement between DAZN and Virgin Media for that to continue

I think VM pay per customer that get that

There would need to be an agreement between DAZN and Virgin Media for that to continue

I think VM pay per customer that get that

Hopefully - I have "other" ways to watch DAZN streams - and for the boxing they have been excellent.

Be interesting to see what happens with this, If DAZN take over the channels or push it to a streaming model. I would expect there would need to be some overlap as existing customers will have rights.
Though those complaining about sports being streamed going forward should get used to it. Can't see the need to attach a satellite dish to the side of your house to watch the telly being something that will be around too much longer modern technology is making the need obsolete.

Back