Deal agreed to help SPFL clubs to sign foreign players

Awaits

"only done that so selleck can sign more japanese players"

MV5BZTY0NDc2NzUtMmRkZi00NzIyLTg5YTctNmIyZjc0NzBkZmYzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Excellent work by Doncaster. He's a really impressive operator.
From the BBC Shortbread ( Neil Doncaster ) website

And SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster commented: "Given the significant number of overseas players who enhance our league, and Scotland's relatively small size in comparison to other nations, it was absolutely imperative that we were able to convince the UK government to maintain the exemptions panel.

"Failure to do so would have dramatically compromised the competitiveness of Scottish clubs, particularly when playing in European competitions.

"It is no exaggeration to say that this was one of the most pivotal issues for our clubs. The alternative did not bear thinking about - and would have severely restricted the number of marquee players coming into our game, with disastrous financial consequences."

Eh ????????? Good Neil let's encourage a lot more non-Scottish marquee players to the detriment of the Scottish national team. What a circus.

Is this not about Brexit? In other words the exception panel can be used to try and smooth the way teams could sign players from EU countries. Makes sense for us surely as we don't want to restrict our abilities to bring in players from there?

This is not good . Allows teams to sign absolute foreign dross to the detriment of young Scottish players
We still need to have home grown players in our squad to meet the criteria for Europe so won't really affect us that much in that area.

It will hopefully allow us to be more flexible on our search for imports to replace any outgoings in the near future.

We can use this majorly to our benefit, with Gio maybe having a player or 2 hes interested in from China.

Brexit has really screwed over Championship clubs. Essentially, they can’t sign anyone foreign unless they’re capped for their countries or playing in European competition.

A lot of these clubs have defunded their youths because the big EPL sides just hoard youngsters and they can’t compete. Instead, they looked to bringing in players from second tier German/Spanish sides etc. Now they can’t do that.

The points system adopted in England post-Brexit was designed by Chelsea, and rubber stamped by the other top table clubs..

Yip put sky sports and first thing on info bar some Japanese left back has handed ins transfer request to join them.Also linked with two others.
All of whom work permits are required for.
I don’t know if Celtic are driving this behind the scenes but, whether they are or aren’t, I’m always suspicious when they’re the first beneficiaries of this.

I don't think the young boy played for Helsinki. Why the Ffs does that make you feel more knowledgable?
Than someone who thinks Finland is in South America? Aye. You tried to be the smartarse first with the ‘2 Colombians’ response. Probably made you feel more knowledgable until you realised you got it wrong. Move on . .

Than someone who thinks Finland is in South America? Aye. You tried to be the smartarse first with the ‘2 Colombians’ response. Probably made you feel more knowledgable until you realised you got it wrong. Move on . .
I didn't get it wrong I knew fine well Morelos came from Helsinki. I was trying to be a bit humerous\sarcastic and meant to put a smilie in. I obviously missed that. Apologies for that. Lets just get on with our lives it is not such a big thing.

Brexit has really screwed over Championship clubs. Essentially, they can’t sign anyone foreign unless they’re capped for their countries or playing in European competition.

A lot of these clubs have defunded their youths because the big EPL sides just hoard youngsters and they can’t compete. Instead, they looked to bringing in players from second tier German/Spanish sides etc. Now they can’t do that.

The points system adopted in England post-Brexit was designed by Chelsea, and rubber stamped by the other top table clubs..

Stronger rules should be brought in to properly compensate British clubs who have their best youth players cherry picked by much richer EPL clubs.

Billy Gilmour is a classic example, we should have got far more compensation for him than what we did.

The current system is broken and puts off clubs investing in youth programs, because they know the best players will just get poached for hardly anything.

Stronger rules should be brought in to properly compensate British clubs who have their best youth players cherry picked by much richer EPL clubs.

Billy Gilmour is a classic example, we should have got far more compensation for him than what we did.

The current system is broken and puts off clubs investing in youth programs, because they know the best players will just get poached for hardly anything.
Whilst I agree it’s also hard to implement

The current system is broken but don’t we benefit hugely from cross-border compensation rules? We would never have signed Joe Aribo if it wasn’t for that.

Back