Declan John?

a more solid defensive Left back is required because of Tav's involvement offensively as it lets the defence shift over when Tav is forward ........ Flanagan while not ideal gives us the protection

They way some sit back I think at times 2 attacking full backs would more effective .

I also think we need to look League 1 or 2 for someone young, and athletic...with the raw skills we can work on.
James Justin.

I suggested him on here a couple of months back.

Played mostly as a left back last season but can play both sides and further forward too.

No. And for all Barisic's problems, I'd say the vast majority saw him as a major upgrade on John

I liked him, felt he would get better but physically he wasn't up to it IMO. There was always a niggle or a strain or some sort of injury, often at crucial times.

The fact he's started 9 games all season for Swansea says it all. Fitness wise, he simply cannot be relied upon.

I don't think it was his footballing ability that saw him out the door. It was his lack of durability.

I thought he was ok - not great, but never had him down as a bombscare either.

Good going forward, chipped in with a couple of goals and seemed to have his place in the squad.

He isn't what is required to win us the league, but admit I was surprised how fast he was out the door.

No I don't think he is what we need. We need a decent LB I wonder what Barry Douglas situation is at Leeds, might be worth a punt but he is 29, we could be looking for someone younger.

Douglas struggled a bit with injuries last season. A fit Barry Douglas would be an asset to us, Leeds spent £3m on him however so would imagine they'd be looking for it back.

Was he worth persisting with?

4Lads website has an article on whether we should have kept him.

Were the raw materials there? He was quite fast, and direct, but raw and couldn't seem to cut our crosses.

Thoughts?
Couldn't defend for toffee, but was athletic.

Like Lee Wallace, but sometimes fit.

I quite liked John. I didn't think he was as bad defensively as what people are making out plus he was good from an attacking perspective.

His biggest problem is his height though. At left back, someone with his height is just going to get targeted by the opposition using long diagonals.

No. And for all Barisic's problems, I'd say the vast majority saw him as a major upgrade on John

I liked him, felt he would get better but physically he wasn't up to it IMO. There was always a niggle or a strain or some sort of injury, often at crucial times.

The fact he's started 9 games all season for Swansea says it all. Fitness wise, he simply cannot be relied upon.

I don't think it was his footballing ability that saw him out the door. It was his lack of durability.

Saw him as. As in past tense. After a full season at Rangers, I don't think it would be as clear cut as that now!

Not for me.

At our level, you need to have a go-to skill that you use to win your matchups with. Tav has his athleticism, Morelos his strength, Arfield his off-the-ball movement, Kent his dribbling etc.

What was Declan John's go-to skill?

Pace is all i can think of... not enough

.Months before Gerrard was linked with us he was on the BT panel for a Champs league game involving Liverpool. He was going on about how Moreno's defending wasn't good enough as he let crosses into the box far too easily.

As soon as he was announced as manager I knew John would be offski immediately, it looks like it'll be the same for Barisic

A failed winger and played like one. I suppose he could have been coached but our manager had been watching from afar before he took over. He had two weeks of pre season prior to being let go, so I'll go with the manager.

Yes we should have

He’s nowhere near as bad as he’s made out to be

Similar attributes to Tav except the superhuman strength and bionics which prevent him from ever getting injured :D

He was a decent enough player going forward but defensively poor. Whilst left back is an issue we have looked better as a team with Flanagan in there.

I think we need better going forward but do you want another Tav who is excellent in attack or do you want a more defensively minded player?

John definitely wasn't the answer.

He was quick, but he wasn't quick enough.

Tavernier combines his pace with really good athletic measurements and fantastic technical skills. John doesn't have any of those supplementary qualities.

Declan John at times glided past players like they weren't there.

He has
And yet you decide to rip into our captain and one of our most vital players this season, to make the point that you wish people would stop bad mouthing players that came to us.

Ok mate, ok.

Long live the banter years.
He has
A point about Tav losing the ball which could have cost us dearly and it has happened a lot in his time with us, I think you have to weigh up his shortcomings with what he adds attacking,

Back