Declan Rice - "up the ra"

A workmate of mine's boy was in the same youth team as Rice, and he knows the old man from before their kids were born, he has also been on trips abroad with him a few years ago to youth tourneys with their team.I was asking him about this today. He said that the father got slapped about a bit in Amsterdam about 5 years ago when he came out with similar shit as his son in the wrong (or right?) company.

Also my workmate had an argument with the father for refusing to put money in a collection bucket in a boozer in New Cross almost 20 years ago, knowing where the money went. He says the boy's mother is a lovely woman, but the father is a bit of a cunt. Born in England, but full on plastic paddy.

But still, when I first asked him about it, he asked 'what's the RA?'

Some people down here have short fucking memories.

Last edited:
The phrase in itself doesn't necessarily mean you support the IRA, almost anyone I've met that has used it has done so sarcastically or tongue in cheek.

Do you seriously think he's proclaiming his own support for the IRA by saying that?

Daft thing for him to say, but folk getting upset about it need to get a grip.

I can't think of a less equivocal pro-IRA phrase than "Up the IRA". It means; I support the IRA. Who are these people you know who say uptherra with tongue in cheek??

Done it in 2015, 4 years ago.

No doubt the media will look to generate controversy in exchange for clicks.

Like this thread.
What does that matter? He’s English born and bred while glorifying the IRA. The same IRA who bombed the city he lives and works. Who bombed the country.

I wonder if he had said Up the ISIS 4 year ago some people would be so blaise about it?

He’s no better than the plastic Irish 19th Century Terrorist bastards we have up here

So if I sang The Billy Boys that would mean I support going out and murdering Irish catholics/republicans?

Does singing Build My Gallows mean that you're actually an Ulsterman that has literally fought the IRA?

Come on now, let's not be hypocritical here.

If you were (and I won't say premier league player, because he wasn't at the time) an up and coming young pro youth,who was undoubtedly going to make it at senior level, would you post on twitter (regardless of your beliefs) "up to our knees in 19th Century Terrorist blood" or something of the sort? Of course you wouldn't. I was a bit daft at 16, but I wouldn't post something on twitter/facebook or whatever that might jeopardise a career that would change mine and my families lives with the money involved. Your support for him is rather strange tbh.

In my experience your average Irish person doesn’t ever mention the IRA, certainly not in celebration. They don’t glorify them. They want to move on from that perios

It’s always British people who think they are Irish who glorify the IRA. Proper Irish are embarrassed at such patter
I would agree. The Irish are just busy getting on with their lives in a modern state, the younger generation especially. The plastic paddies seem to go out of their way to prove some sort of point, that their (often spurious) roots are so important to them, and they just come across as pathetic, attention-seeking frauds, not least to the Ireland-dwelling Irish.

southgates defending of him was pathetic, wonder if it would have been the same if he had said up the KKK in view of sterlings recent remarks and who I agree with I might add

southgates defending of him was pathetic, wonder if it would have been the same if he had said up the KKK in view of sterlings recent remarks and who I agree with I might add
That would be the end of his career if he did that. Surprised nobody really seems to care that he posted support for a terrorist group

That would be the end of his career if he did that. Surprised nobody really seems to care that he posted support for a terrorist group
scumbag should be booed at every game he plays for England but unfortunately most England, not all, but most don't have a clue when it comes to this :mad:

scumbag should be booed at every game he plays for England but unfortunately most England, not all, but most don't have a clue when it comes to this :mad:
I live in England and can tell you nobody knows anything about 19th Century Terrorists, huns, the ira, ulster. Baffles me how they don’t even know their country’s recent past

The phrase in itself doesn't necessarily mean you support the IRA, almost anyone I've met that has used it has done so sarcastically or tongue in cheek.

Do you seriously think he's proclaiming his own support for the IRA by saying that?

Daft thing for him to say, but folk getting upset about it need to get a grip.
nx95jl.jpg

*Couldn't locate the picture that said mentally challenged instead!

You think the English know about the IRA?

There's a good chance they are about to elect an IRA sympathiser and supporter to Prime Minister.

The Irish scum was giving it UP THE RA in Gibraltar last night. total scum of support tbh. they were even holding a candlelight vigil for the dead IRA at the wrong place.

Back