Defoe as attacking coach

ALittleBitOfTheBubbly

Read a few posts between here and Twitter saying that if Defoe was to be on today, we would have won.

Granted, Defoe in his prime would have. Defoe approaching the end of career probably would have done the same.

Defoe is now our attacking coach and since this has happened, the goals have dried up.

Utter coinsedence?
Players getting used to his ways of working?
Nothing to do with a change of coaching?

It's probably our only fundamental change this season (and not a go at Defoe before this gets written off as nonsense like usual takes after we drop points)

Last edited:
k6hOnTmQ_400x400.jpg

Seen a few posts between here and Twitter saying that is Defoe was to be on today, we would have won.

Granted, Defoe in his prime would have. Defoe approaching the end of career probably would have done the same.

Defoe is now our attacking coach and since this has happened, the goals have dried up.

Utter coinsedence?

It's probably our only fundamental change this season (and not a go at Defoe before this gets written off as nonsense like usual takes after we drop points)

Defoes movement and composure no matter his age would have scored Morelos cut back chance that he scuffed and the Roofe assist that he put past the post

it baffles me why he isnt in the matchday squad

Give Defoe the chances Morelos had and we win the game easily

Not really sure what point you’re making though, are you blaming Defoes finishing coaching on our lack of goals? :D:D
Not exactly.

Good players don't always make good coaches/management members. You're also answering the point I make about Defoe scoring them. It's about movement and composure as much as it is putting the ball in the back of the net.

It's not exactly that wild of a suggestion.

He’s also still the best finisher we have, what’s changed so much over the summer that he can’t play a small part this season?

I’m not disagreeing with the theory. Merely the fact he hasn’t had a kick already means it’s done, it’s over.

Forget about Defoe as a player. It’s done. It’s over. It’s not happening

He’s ancient.
At no point have I suggested Defoe should play or not, but as possibly the best finisher of his generation, as a Coach, you'd expect him to pass on what's from his playing days.

I'd not expect this to be what we were lacking given the chances created.

If he's not fit to be playing any part he shouldn't be here

Do we need another attacking coach seemed pretty fine last year for coaches ?
You do realise Defoe was basically part of that coaching team without the official job title right? He done loads of coaching with strikers and I'm sure there's videos of it.

The only difference now is he can do it in a more official capacity. It's part of the reason why he was given the role - he was basically already doing it.

Wether he's good or bad is another question, but like you said it worked last season...

Alfie needs to be a raging bull again , not a neat and tidy spray and lay it off pass master (he is decent at that) but his balls have been cut off, the rage and hunger that brought all the goals and terrorised defenders has gone.

I’m not disagreeing with the theory. Merely the fact he hasn’t had a kick already means it’s done, it’s over.
Misunderstood I think mate, sadly I think you’re right for whatever reason I doubt we’ll see him playing in any meaningful games this season.

Still think for example today he’d have made an impact but maybe something behind the scenes has changed now and coaching is his best role at the club.

At no point have I suggested Defoe should play or not, but as possibly the best finisher of his generation, as a Coach, you'd expect him to pass on what's from his playing days.

Wasn’t specifically referring to your point, more the guys who think he should be playing.

Obviously being a quality finisher doesn’t mean you’re necessarily a great coach.

I have no idea if Defoe is a good coach or not. Our finishing is shite but if results are bad the buck stops with Gerrard not Defoe

Misunderstood I think mate, sadly I think you’re right for whatever reason I doubt we’ll see him playing in any meaningful games this season.

Still think for example today he’d have made an impact but maybe something behind the scenes has changed now and coaching is his best role at the club.

I agree with your sentiments, we need someone of his ilk if not necessarily JD himself.

A poacher, a natural finisher. Alfredo isn’t it, Sakala isn’t it. And we can debate the Itten loan all we like….he wasn’t it either.

An old number 9 who can do nothing all game then finish a chance. We don’t have any of them and it’s a concern.

I’m tired of reading how we dominated this game or that game, scored one goal then got hit by a sucker punch. The trend won’t change unless we score goals.

Seen a few posts between here and Twitter saying that is Defoe was to be on today, we would have won.

Utter coinsedence?

A great player in a certain position doesn't make him an expert coach in that position automatically. Mind when Davie Weir was Warburton's right hand man and the defence was absolutely dire?

Alfie needs to be a raging bull again , not a neat and tidy spray and lay it off pass master (he is decent at that) but his balls have been cut off, the rage and hunger that brought all the goals and terrorised defenders has gone.
He has been modified ,nullified ,denutted and molded into a raging mouse, he is not the player to be afraid of anymore.
Shame we could use the old Alfie,I would even accept his tantrams.

Doesn’t always work out. We had Davie Weir as part of our management team and Wilson and Kiernan didn’t improve under him.

No, the strikers missing the chances they did today isn’t down to Defoe, that’s down to the strikers who missed the chances.

Back