Defoe - His role in the squad

What's the story

Defoe for me has a big part to play in the domestic games. I'd like to see him get a game against Livi.

Do we think hes strictly 4th choice (morelos, roofe, itten) or is he going to be picked for certain games?

There's a ton of games so I'm sure he'll get on but I would say mostly 4th choice. Hopefully he's getting a lot of coaching support so he can pass his knowledge on. The other three can learn a lot from him.

Sunday is the type of game he’s here for.

Two tough* away ties in the lead up.

*Well, should’ve been.

The fact he was omitted from the European squad suggested he will feature in the domestic games, maybe not as much as last season but still a fair amount.

I would still expect him to get into double figures, but Gerrard has to utilise him correctly, really cannot afford to be sentimental with him.

Games against County, St Mirren and the sorts are when he can be used with Alfie getting a breather.

I still think we will see Roofe more as one of the two behind the striker, so JD will get plenty of game time.

He’ll get enough across the three domestic competitions.

He is still more than capable of banging them in against the likes of Livingston.

I think he’ll play some part on Sunday having not travelled and will have fresh legs.

wouldn’t be surprised to see him starting

Defoe should be if we are struggling or if we want to rest alot of players now, hes probably took on unofficial coaching role within the team also giving valuable advice n tips.

Hes there if we need him, right now we dont really need him. Yet.

I'd like to see JD get a start with Itten on Sunday. Change it up a wee bit this Livingston team dealt with way we set up at their place. I think 2 strikers would give them something a bit different to think about.

Back-up to Alfie + Itten.
He'll get games and he'll score goals.
Great guy to have in the squad and around the club.

He will be 4th choice, probably will very rarely play. Will act more as a coach I’d imagine to the rest of the strikers at the club. At this stage of his career he shouldn’t really be appearing to much with us with who is in front of him competing for his place.

He's one of the best mentors you could have at any club, he's still active and very much in contention when needed, the experience he he shares with our younger strikers is invaluable

Last year he did well against the lesser teams and got a good few goals. Hopefully he can do the same this year.

We need to totally adapt our game depending on whether it's Morelos or Defoe though so I'm not sure how Gerrard will work that out.

Last choice striker when everyone’s fit I’m afraid.

He’ll be eased into a coaching role if he wants to stay in Scotland for another year or two.

Being an experienced voice on the training ground and in the dressing room is his most important job.

Other than that I think he'll come on as a sub rather than starting any games.

Great player to help our players on finishing, he's Dapo's mentor at the moment. Amazing character to have around in the squad and will play a few games over the course of the season.

To an extent it depends on whether Roofe is primarily viewed as a striker competing with Alfie, JD and Itten or playing off and competing for a spot in the wingers/ 10s.

I think it's hard to find minutes for more than 3 strikers but I think JD will accumulate more goals/ minute than Roofe or Itten (or Morelos if he doesn't get back in a groove soon).

I doubt he'll start many games but we know he can be effective from the bench which not all players are so I'd still like to see him in the 20 each league game

Personally I think him and Itten could be a deadly 2 up front domestically, I’d like to see this combo if we can put games to bed early, hopefully for a half hour or so!

Given his lead by example attitude I would like to see him involved in the coaching side as I rightly think he is 4th choice.

He'll probably have more value this season just being around the squad and training with our mains strikers and hopefully we have some of the younger lads training with him sometimes too and getting some tips.

Coming on at 60 mins when we’re winning to increase our goal difference.

Thats his role.

I'd flip that by saying start him to get that breakthrough goal. Still fantastically fit and still the best natural finisher at the club. I think we might well be limited to half chances in the box and Defoe offers the best chance of converting these.

He is behind Itten in the pecking order now, however:

1. Roofe is injury prone and
2. Morelos is still a liability chasing that next red card

So I suspect given the above two, Defoe will get chances.

I think in reality Defoe’s role is more of a striking coach that can play when needed - I’d be amazed if he isn’t offered a proper coaching role at the end of the season

Still think the game plan was to sell Morelos but we didn’t get the correct bid , therefore Defoe would have been back up to Itten and Roofe.

Every defoe thread you come in with a wee dig at him.

Remember last season you said he “cost us the league” :))

I think I actually said if we stick with him he'll cost us the league. Remind me how that turned out and dont forget the cup?

He's too slow and Im told he's one of our top earners. Crazy.

No role in terms of on the pitch it seems with the forwards we have. Imo it was very strange we offered him a new 1 year deal.

Its bizarre. There must be tons of money slooshing around if we can afford to keep a 38 year old striker on getting paid top dollar to give tips to our strikers.

I think I actually said if we stick with him he'll cost us the league. Remind me how that turned out and dont forget the cup?

He's too slow and Im told he's one of our top earners. Crazy.
Yet he was the only striker that scored in the league after January. 3 in 5 games before he got injured and then Morelos went 8 league games without a goal before the shutdown in March.

I see no scenario where it's preferable to give a 38 year old Defoe minutes over a 23 year old Itten.

Having Defoe in the dressing room is invaluable but apart from his finishing ability, he offers very little to the team at this point.
Hes a born goalscorer. At home to teams like livi we should be creating chances. If I had to put my mortgage on someone taking a chance out of everyone in the squad it's on Defoe. Best finisher. Itten has it all to prove still. I'm sure he will in time.

A welcome member of the squad but given his age starts will be few,my main concern is because of his loss of pace he plays on the edge of the opposition defence and is caught off-side too often.

He has been doing masterclass type coaching as I remember Aribo posting about it.

I think we will see him get game time in home games though domestically, you can't lose the ability he has. I'd like to see him play up alongside Itten.

Problem we have, and it's a good problem to have, is that it's difficult to change a winning side and system. Rotation wil be key this season though.

Back