• Kamberi

Votes: 565 79.1%
  • Greg Stewart

Votes: 48 6.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 1.1%

• Total voters
Let me think.

The 19 goals in 18 starts striker, or the 3 in 24?

Only if Defoe is fully fit and firing though, otherwise Kamberi.
Those stats don't tell the full story. Away in Europe we need the ball to stick up top when we've got it and Defoe just doesn't do that it's not his game. Also the way braga play a high line we can use kamberi pace to exploit it something defoe couldn't do when he got in behind at tyncastle. That's not me stating Kamberi is the better player but its horses for courses as such

Last edited:
Has to be Kamberi for his pace and physicality. He'll be right up for it as well, if he wants to be a Rangers player as much as he says then this is his big chance.

I'd start him on Sunday with Morelos and bring Defoe off the bench.

I'd leave him on the bench and maybe give him 15 mins near the end. Morelos is suspended and Defoe is just back in training so we don't know if he is fit. Can't take a risk with our only available striker for the Braga game. Morelos needs to start on Sunday.

Depends what you sre asking.

As a partner to play up front with Alfie then Kamberi all the time, Buff with Defoe just does not work.

As a lone striker then Defoe's record this season suggests he gets the nod each time.

However if Alfie gets a rest or suspension don't see anything wrong with Defoe/Kamberi partnership, especiall with Kent so out of form.

He isn't a great goal threat though mate.

No argument that he works hard out of possession, but in possession Defoe is lethal, as he proves on a regular basis.

His goal to game ratio is incredible.
Normally Defoe and Davis would be the first two names on the team sheet but between injury to the former and a loss of form that’s hard to explain for the latter I’m not sure tbh.

Davis in particular is a concern at the moment, I can’t help think Kamara is deflecting some of the flak due to his own current struggle.

Braga's attack is much stronger than their defence. We created a load of chances and latterly they were panicking every time we got the ball. In the Group stage, they were stronger away than at home. They W1 and D2 of their home games. Away, they Won all 3. Home goals F-A were 8-6, and 7-3 away. Wolves lost 1-0 to them at home but got a 3-3 draw away whilst Slovan lost to them 4-2 at home but drew 2-2 away. So, Stevie G has a decision. In this case, is attack the best form of defence? He could play Kamberi in the Ryan Kent role where his greater power and slightly better defensive qualities may help. Midfield will be tightened up a bit with the return of Ryan Jack. A midfield of Jack, Arfield, Aribo, Hagi and Kamberi with Defoe (or Stewart) up front. Flexible 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 as necessary. But what do I know. I thought at 0-2 last night we were in for a thrashing! :)

I am kind of happy with either, but i do think that Defoe's pace and finishing would really trouble a team that plays such a high defensive line. 'Davis to Hagi to Defoe. 1 nil Rangers!'
Defoe 10 years ago maybe mate, hes not very fast these days (hearts i think) he got played in about 35 yards out and defender came back and got the ball off him with relative ease

Normally Defoe and Davis would be the first two names on the team sheet but between injury to the former and a loss of form that’s hard to explain for the latter I’m not sure tbh.

Davis in particular is a concern at the moment, I can’t help think Kamara is deflecting some of the flak due to his own current struggle.

If Defoe isn't fully firing then it's Kamberi for me mate.

I thought Davis had a better 2nd half last night, including a good assist for Hagi's 1st goal.

Hopefully his form turns around soon, as he's invaluable to us at his best.

Reactions: cav
Kamberi looks desparate to make a big impression and although i havent seen much of him he has shown he has a lot of mobilty which i think will be needed next week.

I don't think Defoe will be fully fit by then. Also he does not have pace against a defence that holds such a high line - see Tyncastle .
To come on last 15/20 mins if we are chasing a goal.

Between Defoe at home against the mhanky mhob earlier in the season and watching Boyd in bigger ties this is an obvious one. We should’ve learned by now that strikers in these games need to contribute more in terms of their all-round game than their goal threat. It has to be Kamberi.

If Defoe isn't fully firing then it's Kamberi for me mate.

I thought Davis had a better 2nd half last night, including a good assist for Hagi's 1st goal.

Hopefully his form turns around soon, as he's invaluable to us at his best.
Absolutely mate, I do think it maybe raises the question of whether we need someone in the deeper midfield role who has more defensive capabilities.A Lucas Leiva type of player (I know we’re not getting him just an example) for next season.

Not a criticism of any of the current midfielders btw,I just don’t think it’s their strongest asset that in order to win trophies- we probably will need imo.

Hate to mention him as he’s a poor version but the Lego eater does an important job for the hoardes.we need someone better with similar responsibilities I reckon.

Has to be Kamberi for his pace.

He has done quite good since coming off the bench a couple of times.

Kamberi 100% needs to play, he can keep the ball up the park better than Defoe

When did Defoe get injured was it 2 or 3 weeks ago? He wont have lost much fitness in that time, especially if he was back training this week. If he's not ready he is going to be gutted as he's waited a long time for a chance in a game like this for us.

I wonder if we would consider playing Kent or Hagi as a false 9 which would allow us to play a front 3 of Kent, Hagi and Aribo. Lots of pace, movement and interchange.

I think Kamberi has played well enough to deserve the start in Portugal. He has certainly looked better than I expected.

I wonder if we could play with both Kamberi and Stewart up front? Having Two strikers with Kent out wide would be an interesting look for us.

When did Defoe get injured was it 2 or 3 weeks ago? He wont have lost much fitness in that time, especially if he was back training this week. If he's not ready he is going to be gutted as he's waited a long time for a chance in a game like this for us.

I wonder if we would consider playing Kent or Hagi as a false 9 which would allow us to play a front 3 of Kent, Hagi and Aribo. Lots of pace, movement and interchange.

Injured against Ross County on the 29th January - so what, three weeks out and back in training yesterday.

Tough one for me. If we get a chance, I’d take Defoe to finish it over Kamberi any day. But gut instinct says their centre half’s will swallow Defoe up when it comes to keeping him off the ball and keeping him from holding the ball up, where as Kamberi is more likely to succeed in that aspect.

Between Stewart and Kamberi. Depending on how they play at the weekend but i'd go for Stewart just now with others playing off him.

Will await incoming, but from looking at their high line last night and the need for pace and and the potential to catch them with balls over the top - I would play Kent through the middle (I get he is off form) but have a feeling he could do a Lovenkrands and be good outlay there.

Kamberi's style of play will be better suited to us on the break - however defoe is a big game player throughout his career. But he isnt fit!

Away from home it's all about keeping possession, stopping them from scoring and nicking a goal on the break, with this in mind if Defoe is unavailable I'd start with Stewart, he is a more intelligent player than Kamberi who is more of a runner, reminds me a of Gordon Durie the way he plays, Stewart would be better at keeping the ball and winning free kicks IMO and Kamberi will be good to have on the bench for later in the game.

Defoe is a fantastic option when you're at home to St Mirren or Ross County.

Away in Europe though? He's not what I want up front in that environment.

Which isn't to say Kamberi might do that role any better. I have no idea yet. The reality is Morelos, in this type of game, can't be replaced. Its a certainty Kamberi will start and I think most of us would rather that over Defoe.

Kamberi can cause them problems if he's given the role to make runs and unsettle their defence. Jermaine is a classic penalty box predator.

I'm under no illusions as to who the better player is here but considering form, compatibility with our system and the quality of Braga who would you like to see start on Wednesday should Defoe be fit?

Defoe won't be match fit at his age, he'll need to be eased back into the team again.
If Morelos would stop acting like a spoiled boy, we wouldn't be left in this position agaln.
Most times weve got an important game to play, he's bloody sitting in the stand.
We keep blaming refs.but surely it's about time he learned to accept some responsibility, for his childish behaviour.We keep making excuses for him and i include myself in that statement, but the time has come for Alfie to grow up, otherwise ship him out, and buy a quality striker to replace him.omo.

It will depend on our game plan, if we go on the offensive then Defoe could fit the bill.
If we are going to hit on the break it’s Kamberi, they play a very high line so our attacker has to be quick.

Dont be surprised if Barker/Ojo makes an appearance at some point in this game. I know they are not flavour of the month but Europe has been their better games. :eek:

An
Kamberi was underwhelming as a signing and I didn't believe he would offer much, however initial signs are really good and he could be brilliant for us.

He's better at retaining the ball than Alfie for sure, could be argued that he would be the better option anyway. It's early days but the ball just doesn't stick to Alfie, it does to Kamberi and let's the team move up the park, that will prove very useful in this away leg where I expect we will counter attack.

And i think that his temprement would be better than Morelos's.i think we need a big strong guy like him up front, as he gives us other options if we need to change tactics.etc.

Kamberi was underwhelming as a signing and I didn't believe he would offer much, however initial signs are really good and he could be brilliant for us.

He's better at retaining the ball than Alfie for sure, could be argued that he would be the better option anyway. It's early days but the ball just doesn't stick to Alfie, it does to Kamberi and let's the team move up the park, that will prove very useful in this away leg where I expect we will counter attack.

I know it’s all about opinions, but I’ve had to read this a few times to take it in.
Ive come to the conclusion, Wow.

With the high line Braga were playing Defoe won’t have the pace to hurt them getting in behind. Kamberi to start and Defoe or Stewart to replace him

kamberi for me has to start up front as much as i like defoe we need pace in our team for this game as im sure we will be under pressure at times and need a good counter attacking team

More chance of Kamberi occupying centre halfs and holding the ball up, got a feeling we might need an out ball to regroup and get a breather.

Injured against Ross County on the 29th January - so what, three weeks out and back in training yesterday.

Won't have lost too much fitness. He played a few games on the spin as well due to Morelos being banned so I don't think there's a lot of difference between starting him next week against him getting his first start for 3 months when he's been training everyday.

Defoe does not have speed over a longer distance, although he is very sharp in and around the box. I don't think even the most optimistic Rangers fan believes we will be keeping Braga in their own penalty box.

I would opt for Kamberi simply because the opposition will suit his game much more.

Picked Kamberi due to game time. Love Defoe, but you cannot be out of action for several weeks and come back in at a European level. I think Greg Stuart can come on as an impact player. However my main concern is defence rather than who plays up front.

Last edited:
I like the look of Kamberi and next week is too soon for Defoe, but I’m surprised how many people don’t seem to even rate Defoe.
Defoe has proved himself. Kamberi has looked bright in a couple of cameo appearances.
It’s hardly comparable

Back