Defoe - we are totally underusing him

I think it’s a case of the run of crucial games

If we were playing St Mirren at Ibrox on Sunday he’s a dead cert to start
Correct, our run of vital games hasn’t allowed us the luxury of squad rotation, and I think it will be same again today.

Important games all month. Need to play our first 11. To have some one with the quality of Defoe as a willing deputy is awesome compared to the days of Herrara etc

At the start of the season Defoe was getting on the last 10 mins every game I would have liked to see that continue. If we are winning it means Alfie isn't getting pushed that last 10 when he often looks tired. If we need a goal then maybe we keep morelos on.

Jd was up at the training centre tonight at 7ish. My son was training up there and got a high five from him, the wee man was buzzing when I picked him up. He said Jermaine was training on the bike and came over to see the kids. What a pro he is.

Gonna need him big time on Friday.
No Morelos means we are gonna naturally have less shots at goal and less chances to score. Defoe (and others) are gonna need.to be clinical on Friday.
It would be a travesty if we lose Morelos and lose points on Friday.

Full faith in Defoe to turn up against Hibs.

If anything it gives Alfie a rest - might not be the end of the world during Decembers minefield of fixtures.

I think it’s been more than 6 weeks since he’s scored. He’s not getting much game time and at his age, he surely must have to be playing regularly to stay sharp?

We are becoming as reliant on Alfie as we were last season despite the great start Alfie and Defoe had in sharing game time and goals.

I’m seriously concerned that we don’t have a genuine option that can change the game up top if Alfie has a poor game or we need to mix things up a bit.

It was clear, based on the start of the season, that Defoe still has it. But will he hang around if he’s not getting regular game time?

Or is it a case that he doesn’t have it in him to play regularly and he’s getting as much time as he needs or can deal with?

Either way, we need another option up top in the new year.
With Alfie out against the spoonburners hopefully he fills his boots

As long as we're on the front foot, pressing high and creating chances I have no doubts over Defoe playing on Friday. However, if we allow Hibs to dictate the tempo or to pin us back for sustained periods, then Defoe as our frontman becomes more of a worry.

High press with Kent and Aribo/Stewart in support should mean we have too much for them.

Agree, I think he needs to find a system for the last 30 of each game where both can play.

Maybe put alfie on the right or play a diamond with kent in behind.

Back