Deliberately coughing at a ref or opponent is now a red card offence

uneasydaz

Players who deliberately cough at opponents or referees can be shown red or yellow cards under new FA guidelines issued amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The instructions to referees taking charge of games when COVID-19 restrictions are in place will come into force immediately and be applied at all levels of the game.

The FA said action should be taken when "the referee is certain someone deliberately, and from close range, coughed into the face of an opponent or match official."

It added that the offence would fall under the category of "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures.

"If the incident was not severe enough to merit a sending-off, a caution could be issued for 'unsporting behaviour - shows a lack of respect for the game'."

The document added that referees must not look to punish "routine" coughing and should remind players to avoid spitting on the ground, although it is not an act of misconduct.

We all can think of teams and countries where if someone were to behave like this none of us would be surprised.

I can’t imagine that being to common an offence, rain this country. In fact I’d be amazed if it ever actually happens

What about running up to an opponent, sticking your face at his and slavering all over him because he fouled a team mate.

Should be a red card without Covid! With Covid, any of our players do it then kicked out of the club. Jail would be difficult to get if they just got a negative result clearing them to play.

If you done it in Amateur football you would be Sine die, should be no different for a professional

You have to ask what is so wrong with society that they feel they even need to bring this up and have a rule for it.

I know footballers aren’t always mastermind contenders but I can’t think of one who is sufficiently brain damaged to even think of doing this.

What kind of person would even think to do that?
Oh, I don't know. Some footballers sense of decency does go out the window completely sometimes. Racist remarks, biting people and spitting on them - that's just one guy. Others have just lost the plot also.

It should be more severe than a red card. Not only is it potentially dangerous in the current climate it's just a f**king weird thing to do. Even if it is a red card on the day it should be a suspension for the rest of the season or something as well. Not to mention the Police getting involved.

They need to clamp down on the casual grog on the ground too. I've never understood why footballers do this.

Thumb will blatantly cough on some poor St.Mirren player and sportscene will be adamant it was a sneeze.

The very fact a rule had to be brought in to cover this shows how low some seem prepared to go. It should be an arrestable offence on the pitch or not.

Can see Alfie getting a retrospective red card on Monday after the compliance officer reviews Sunday's game and finds an instance of him covering his mouth with this hand and clearing his throat when 20 yards away from any other player.

Players who deliberately cough at opponents or referees can be shown red or yellow cards under new FA guidelines issued amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The instructions to referees taking charge of games when COVID-19 restrictions are in place will come into force immediately and be applied at all levels of the game.

The FA said action should be taken when "the referee is certain someone deliberately, and from close range, coughed into the face of an opponent or match official."

It added that the offence would fall under the category of "using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures.

"If the incident was not severe enough to merit a sending-off, a caution could be issued for 'unsporting behaviour - shows a lack of respect for the game'."

The document added that referees must not look to punish "routine" coughing and should remind players to avoid spitting on the ground, although it is not an act of misconduct.
Who would even do that?

I always had the belief that coughing and/or spitting on someone is worse than a punch.

ona side note they need to bring back the "no spitting" signs you used to get on the top deck of corpy buses. Nothing about smoking swallying winching or even fighting - just NO SPITTING!

If you spit or cough at an opponent, they should be allowed a free hit without repercussions.

How can they tell if it’s deliberate? A player could have a genuine reason for coughing.

Also, about yelling at refs or opponents after a poor call or bad tackle, surely that’s as bad?

How can they tell if it’s deliberate? A player could have a genuine reason for coughing.

Also, about yelling at refs or opponents after a poor call or bad tackle, surely that’s as bad?

I guess it would be deliberately coughing in the direction of somebody that you are having an altercation with rather than coughing into say a jersey or hand.

It's only a matter of time before we see a player cough then a player near him goes down holding his face.

Back