Demolition of Edmiston House Underway - Full Planning Permission Granted

93 player of the year awards, presented by,

Jim White.

Took the rangers pools tickets in the other side.

Was at the argyll suite for lunch with my best mate today and spotted that as we were leaving. Just as well as the windows at the other end are gubbed.

It's an eyesore but cant help but feel a bit sad
rKTlnW4.gif

We used to have our end of season doo in there in the 80's dancing away to the Drifters,
Great memories.

Mate I watched the Leeds game in there and saw the Drifters there too. Leeds game was bouncing. Think I watched Marseille game there too.
It really was bouncing. I remember being on top of the tables drinking a bottle of champagne at the end of the game.

It was Ian Armstrong and Silvia who ran the club back then.

It really was bouncing. I remember being on top of the tables drinking a bottle of champagne at the end of the game.

It was Ian Armstrong and Silvia who ran the club back then.
We went back to Carnegie's in Paisley after it which was chocca. Remember walking home singing like fcuk.

Glasgow Times

Herald Picture Archive: Rangers open 'the best social club in the world'

MARCH, 1971, and an audience some 600-strong is out in force at a special dinner-cabaret on the opening night of the Rangers Social Club at Edmiston House.

The £500,000 facility was officially opened by the Lord Provost, Sir Donald Liddle. Other notable attendees included Rangers FC chairman John Lawrence, social club director David Hope and the club's architect, Sam Bunton. For several years the club was a popular cabaret venue, and Lulu played there several times.

An article in a September 1971 edition of Rangers News quoted Mr Hope as saying the club was the "best in the world." The lounges, dining rooms and TV rooms were the last word in comfort; even the toilets were luxurious. Each suite was linked by closed-circuit TV, with a monitor in the reception area. In terms of sound, there were no fewer than 47 speakers installed in the building.

Jim Hannah, Fans Liaison Manager at Rangers, said yesterday: "There was a private members' club on the first floor. The second floor was where the main club was - it could hold about 450 people. I bought membership for the big club and could just about afford it. The private one down the stair had about 100, 150 members.

"Lulu appeared at the club quite a few times. She would do a show in front of the 400 members and would then go for a private show down the stair. "The Drifters were another regular act there - I saw them about four or five times. You would get other acts there, too, like stage hypnotists." Matt Monro, Brenda Lee and Bob Monkhouse were other stars who entertained at the social club.

"It was a big venue on the cabaret circuit," Mr Hannah added. "Scotland did not have anything like it at the time - never mind Glasgow. It really was the first of its kind."

In time, however, the club folded. The space was taken over by such ventures as a snooker-and-fitness club before the top floor was re-opened as the Edmiston Club, the first floor being bought by a computer company. In a later reincarnation, the building housed a call-handling company owned by Rangers chairman, David Murray.

Those were the days!

Are there any plans to do up the walkway from the stadium to the subway? Always thought something could be improved on that section.

Was in there the night we won 8 in a row
rangers news awards
A few players there including paul Gascoigne and Andy Gorman
did we get planning permission for new Rangers hub ?

It really is a mess now, but like others I am feeling a bit nostalgic seeing it coming down. Been walking past that building for decades.

Anyway, lets hope the new one is a vast improvement

Bus player of the year nights ,Ally always won as the bus was named after him, and Christmas party nights in the late 80’s early 90’s will be embedded in my memory forever. No political correctness shite back then :D:eek:
Also seen the great man Jock Wallace there shortly before he passed away. Shamefully the club wouldn’t advertise the event in the Rangers news etc.:( Can’t recall the reason they gave.
Was a brilliant club in its day but should have been demolished a long time ago.

The Jimmy Clark Loyal ( Louden Bar , Duke St) POTY dance was one of the highlights of the season . Used to run a double decker from Cumbernauld to it every year .

Always had players in attendance, and they weren't holding back with the sing song, remember a bemused Gattuso there one night, brilliant raffle and the YCVFB providing some cultural tunes.

The Jimmy Clark Loyal ( Louden Bar , Duke St) POTY dance was one of the highlights of the season . Used to run a double decker from Cumbernauld to it every year .

Always had players in attendance, and they weren't holding back with the sing song, remember a bemused Gattuso there one night, brilliant raffle and the YCVFB providing some cultural tunes.
Gattuso in his white suit.
That was a great night.

I'm sure there was a wee shop at the other end with a counter that you stood outside when you bought anything. Got my first scarf there. 1974.

Just before my time that one.1st one I remember was the one where the bookies is, at the corner leading up to the Copland.

Back